Author Topic: I go, I come back  (Read 1375 times)

Offline diamondgeezer

I'm off to RNAS Yeovilton in Sommerset for a few days. If you don't hear from me again, it's likely because I've died in a helicopter crash or drowned in the Dunker. Whoo

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Noted.

If you do go down in a ball of fire, try and aim towards some innocent bystanders.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
At least leave a friend with instructions to post here all the grisly details of your demise - it's no fun unless we know what happened! :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Originally posted by an0n

If you do go down in a ball of fire, try and aim towards some innocent bystanders.

Try not to be too sober either.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Like that's actually a problem. :p
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I wonder how he's gone read these posts...
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Jesus, does nobody here listen?

Heaven has OC192's[/i].
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline diamondgeezer

*bump*

Hehe, that trip owned. I did this and this, among other things. I'm so applying to be a naval aviator :nod:

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Well, atleast then you won't have to conceal the fact that you're a flaming homosexual. That a benefit, right?

Looks fun, but what exactly is happening in that 2nd picture? It looks like they're firing you out of a tube underwater, for what purpose I can only imagine. Or actually I can't, thats the problem.

Offline diamondgeezer

It's the Dunker. Basically a big steel can with three rows of seats inside. You strap yourself in, then it's hoisted up by a crane and dropped in to the pool. It's inside a big steel ring so it can invert as it sinks. Then the guy by the window pulls the handle, and the next guy (me, in this case) punches the window out. Then you all swim out, and it's back home in time for tea and medals. Oh, and it's in flight suits and boots, natch :)

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
That's not exactly naval aviation, that's SAR work.  The two are closely intertwined though.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
So does this little adventure cost anything, or do you just have to pretend like you're interested in joining the Royal Navy? I wonder if Canada has anything like this. Free helicopter jumping and underwater shenannigans; I'de pretend to be interested in joining pretty much anything.

Hopefully, one day political parties will all institute this policy, and votes will be based on who's amusement was better.

I really liked the Conservative's paragliding, but then again the Greens did let me  drive a tank. Choices, choices...

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I can't load the second pic. Bummer, I wanna see the Dunker. :o

Sounds like you had an excellent time, DG. Are you really going to apply for a position in the navy?
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline diamondgeezer

I have applied. Next thing ought to be an aptitude test - tests like using a joystick to track a line of dots :eek: Dunno if I'll be able to handle a joystick, I'm not really much good with computer games :nervous:

Lib, the point of the dunker is to practice escaping from a ditched helo. We were shown some video clips in the breifing, including a USN Sea Stallion pilot who landed a bit off-center, so his observer told him to go back up and try again. Instead, he went backwards, got his wheel caught in a crash barrier and flipped the damn thing over backwards in to the water. The crew survived thanks to their training, but the soldiers in the back all drowned. We actually had a load of US Black Hawk crews in there that day. I'd imagine they'd appreciate being aboe to get out of a helo in a hurry as, in their words, the Black Hawk 'floats like manhole cover'...

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by an0n
Noted.

[color=66ff00]I always tell my workmates that come in hungover 'if you're going to be sick, aim for a customer'.

If I were in the position, I'd aim for a high ranking target such as the person who's looking to know what price the item they're holding is (even though it's clearly displayed), or perhaps the woman who let her  kids run amok in the toys section as it keeps them from annoying her whilst she peruses at her leisure.
We usually have to deal with a lost, trumatised kid a short time after that's lost his or her mother.
[/color]