Author Topic: Exeem (P2P client) released but with a catch.  (Read 538 times)

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
Exeem (P2P client) released but with a catch.
The catch being that it contains spyware. http://exeem.com/privacy.htm

The spyware it contains is Cydoor, here's some information on it: http://simplythebest.net/info/spyware/cydoor_spyware.html

And there is apparently already an Exeem lite which doesn't have spyware.
http://www.exlite.net

Some background on Exeem: It's supposed to be a decentralized (i.e. no trackers) form of bittorrent. It's gotten a lot of attention because it has the Suprnova name on it but that's just a marketing trick the company making Exeem is using.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 01:30:16 pm by 179 »
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
gnucleus is open source and contains no spyware.
and its core (gnucDNA) is used in more than half of file share programs out there.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Sell-outs!

That said, I'll give the Lite version a try.

edit: check your Exeem Lite link Kam, its just goes to a search page. You put an "f" instead of a "t"
No, eXeemâ„¢ is completely free and it can only stay free with ads. This is why, trying to remove the ads will only hurt the future development of the program.

*flips off monitor*

Yeah right. BT is free and has no ads at all, though many of the actual sites do. But its not something that in installed on your comp, especially not spyware. I have no problem with ads, but these guys are going against all the principles of open-source distribution.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 02:40:04 am by 644 »

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Hooray for media liberation!
Boo for spyware!
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Meh, Kazaa had built in Adware/Spyware that it wouldn't run without either. It was literally a matter of days till someone came out with a .dll that convinced Kazaa they were in place, but which didn't actually do anything ;)

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
just use the Exeem Lite version instead of complaining, you damned nitwits!

:p:D:p
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil:

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
thats what I'm doing, but I would rather do both.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
If they're logging who's downloading what, who says they won't be compelled to share that information with the RIAA/MPAA/Gestapo just as ISP's have been?
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
gnucleus is better
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN