Author Topic: FSO framerate cap  (Read 1386 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Is there any way to enforce a software-controlled framerate limit in the FSO engine? I can't use vsync correctly under certain situations on my new cards and this game shows a fair bit of tearing, but having an artificial framerate cap below the refresh rate would let me get around it; I used this trick in Deus Ex, Descent 3 and a few other games and it works well. I seem to remember someone (Taylor I think) saying that FSO defaults to a cap of 120fps, so is there some command line that can change this to around 85 instead?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
It's possible to change it in game with a debug build through the debug console but that doesn't work in release builds.  Unless you modify the source there isn't a way to change the cap at the moment, but a reg (or cmdline) option could be easily added to do that if you need it (and there are no objections from anyone else).

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Yeah, that would be useful if it's not too much work on your part.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
bump, was this ever added in?

[edit] Actually, never mind this. vsync seems to work correctly in OpenGL mode, which I might as well start using since the environmental mapping is broken in newer builds anyway.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 12:31:32 am by CP5670 »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
It wasn't added, I didn't think about it again until last night.  I had actually thought about just letting the current refresh rate automatically determine the framerate cap rather than having to rely on vsync.  Beyond that thought though no work has been done.  If it later turns out that you want/need this again let me know and I'll code something up.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
That actually sounds a good idea if it's something simple to add in. I think D3D may still hold a few other advantages for me due to the differences in the lighting and that launcher resolution bug, so it would be nice to be able to still use D3D in some situations.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 01:53:59 am by CP5670 »