Author Topic: Cant get any sound out of Freespace???  (Read 2137 times)

Offline diceman111

• Keep on playing Glottis, keep on playing.....
Cant get any sound out of Freespace???
Hi...

I somehow always manages to find bugs in games(Or my computer) and now I have done so again I installed the latest media VPs and the fs2_open_r_KARA_20060517.exe build.

But when I Try to run it it says "DirectSound Could not be initialized, If you are running any application playing sound in the background, you should stop them before continuing." now I am guessing that its a problem with the sound driver however since I have been playing Freespace for awhile now and never encounterd this problem until now so I am pretty confused as to how it could have happend. I have tried shutting down all programs in the background as the error suggested however it dosent help and i still get error.

Some Info:

Starting Flags:
C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_d_KARA_20060517.exe -mod Revenge, ,mediavps -spec -glow -jpgtga -mipmap -nomotiondebris -2d_poof -snd_preload -fps

I ran the Debug version and it said that it couldnt initialise OpenAL or something like that.

P.S I am just wondering if anybody has a solution that comes quickly to mind since I will be getting my new computer in a week or so (assuming the damn Core 2 Duo processors are released in sweden sometime this century).

Kepp Up the good work

/Dice
Flames Of War Chapter III - http://web.comhem.se/~u35702611

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
Re: Cant get any sound out of Freespace???
You need to get OpenAL.

Go here.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Why are you using such an old build anyway? 3.6.9 RC 6 fixes so many problems in that build that I'm surprised anyone is still using any of my builds :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I downloaded it too(God K. made this!)but I found a dds compression bug.The 3.6.9 RC6 fixes problems(like the shields!!)but has no speech. I tried it,the I reinstalled RC 5.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
Why are you using such an old build anyway? 3.6.9 RC 6 fixes so many problems in that build that I'm surprised anyone is still using any of my builds :)

I use that build too. I find that with other builds, the background nebulea don't appeare

Offline diceman111

Ok stupid question but could someone send me a link to where I can download it????.....

"If at first you don't succeed try a bigger thermonuclear weapon" - My philosophy on life

"I dont care if we smack it into her or smack it out of her just aslong as there's smacking invovled" - Max from Sam & Max Situation Comedy

I live in Sweden and before anybody ask NO we do not have polar bears walking on our streets thats Norway, we have penguins (Red ones with blue dots)

(These messages was brought to you by the people from DFWD (Diceman For World Domination))

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
See the Recent Builds sub-forum? In there :)

Offline diceman111

See the Recent Builds sub-forum? In there :)

*Feeling a little bit ashamed* :p :p

hmm well that maybe a good place to look  ;7

/Dice

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
How can you get K.'s build work?I'm pretty interested...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
3.6.9 contains everything in that build except for a few bugs :)

While RedMenace was away I pretty much took over posting CVS builds for a while between April and whenever 3.6.9 RC1 was released.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Ahhh. ;)
The Lightblue Ribbon