Poll

What CPU do you use?

Intel Core 2 Duo
Intel Core 2 Quad
Intel Pentium M
Intel Pentium 4
Intel Celeron
Intel Pentium 3, Pentium 2 and below (post exact specs so we can laugh)
AMD Phenom 2
AMD Phenom 1
AMD Athlon 2
AMD Athlon XP
AMD Turion
Classic AMD Athlon and below (post specs so we can laugh)
Something wierd (post architecture type and speed so we can stand in awe of your 1337 level)
AMD Athlon XP M
AMD Semperon (can't forget about you :P)
Intel Core (WTF, do "Core" things even exist?)
Intel Core Duo
Intel Pentium D
Intel Core i7
Intel Core i5
Intel Core i3

Author Topic: What CPU do you use?  (Read 13407 times)

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
My mistake I was reading the Computer Properties wrong.  :nervous:
FYI: You could be correct when saying you have a single-core Pentium D. Either one dead core or the second core is turned off (either by the OS; usually an installation problem or by the BIOS; a simple setting to disable cores). So what is it? A P4? P4-HT? Pentium D/Pentium XE? Or maybe one of the rare PXE-HT's?
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Well, the Computer Properties States that it is Pentium D 3.0 Ghz (apart from the D there is no indication that it is Dual Core) yet the Device Manager tells me that it has a MPS Multiprocessor.

:shrugs:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
*stuff*
Um...I own one of those Dell clamshell P4s myself, and it's been my only machine for almost six years now.  I've never removed it from the floor in all that time (how the hell am I supposed to fit something like that on a small desk?), and yet I've never had a single overheating issue.  The only major hardware issue I've ever had with it was the original hard drive succumbing to the Click o' Doom, but with that replaced and a big RAM upgrade, it's served me well over its lifespan.  (*knocks on head*) I'd like to think I can do a bit more than check my e-mail and use Word, too. :p

P4's were very, very hard to overheat. If it get s too hot the clock will slow down. To its credit Intel generally did a better job of paying attention to thermal issues at the time.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The CPU itself perhaps, but that doesn't help the rest of the hardware in the box.  Yes, Intel chips have historically run cooler than their AMD counterparts.  But hard drives, RAM, video cards, etc are all very susceptible to heat issues in such an environment.  Good thing those Geforce 3s were so underclocked they weren't at too much risk.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
The CPU itself perhaps, but that doesn't help the rest of the hardware in the box.  Yes, Intel chips have historically run cooler than their AMD counterparts.  But hard drives, RAM, video cards, etc are all very susceptible to heat issues in such an environment.  Good thing those Geforce 3s were so underclocked they weren't at too much risk.

Actually the P4 could run just as hot as any Athlon at the time given its then high power usage. The difference was the P4 had thermal throtling and the Athlon either had nothing (thunderbird) or a thermal diode that didn't always work. Watch (video made in 2001 by tom's hardware guide). IIRC this video made AMD pay more attention to thermal protection, so starting with Hammer they integrated the thermal throtling feature.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Alright, just powered up my mom's old emachines because we were going to try and upgrade the video card, but I found out that the video card isn't the only thing in need of replacement. It has a classic Athlon single core processor, with 2.0 GHz speed.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Is it better than Intel 915GL combined with an Intel Celeron D at 2.66 GHz? That's what my IBM crate has. :p
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Our family's original PC, an almost-15-year-old Gateway 2000 with a whopping 166 MHz Pentium processor and 16 MB of RAM, was lying around until fairly recently.  I would have loved to tinker with the thing a bit, but I couldn't get it to output anything to a monitor (I have no idea what sort of video card was in it), so we just ditched it when our county had a hazardous-waste collection day.  I miss that huge beige box. :(

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
Our family's original PC, an almost-15-year-old Gateway 2000 with a whopping 166 MHz Pentium processor and 16 MB of RAM, was lying around until fairly recently.  I would have loved to tinker with the thing a bit, but I couldn't get it to output anything to a monitor (I have no idea what sort of video card was in it), so we just ditched it when our county had a hazardous-waste collection day.  I miss that huge beige box. :(
A PCI graphics card would have probably worked. Then again, probably not even worth paying shipping on.

Offline Hades

Is it better than Intel 915GL combined with an Intel Celeron D at 2.66 GHz? That's what my IBM crate has. :p
Hell no.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Really? Is that Athlon of yours worse than my Celeron? :wtf:
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Hades

I'm pretty sure I just said that. :P
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Well, the Computer Properties States that it is Pentium D 3.0 Ghz (apart from the D there is no indication that it is Dual Core) yet the Device Manager tells me that it has a MPS Multiprocessor.

:shrugs:
Computer properties in windows doesn't really tell you much about the processor aside from the name and the speed. Go into task manager instead, and if you see more than one processor work load percentage meter, then you know for sure if it's more than one core.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Yeah, that was how I finally figured it was dual core, I could set the core affinity through task manager.  :yes:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I thought affinity was a Professional Edition-only thing. Guess I'm not using common sense there. :D
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
I thought affinity was a Professional Edition-only thing. Guess I'm not using common sense there. :D
I've seen it in all versions of NT5+, iirc.