Author Topic: "Don't Ask, Don't Tell", discrimination, et al  (Read 4511 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: "Don't Ask, Don't Tell", discrimination, et al
this whole "unit cohesion/morale" argument is hollow and void, and that they don't actually know what they're talking about.

I feel constrained to point out that European military power has become so calcified in the last ten years that applying any lesson, no matter how small, from Europe to an active, expeditonary military like that of the US is probably not wise. You would have been more wise to point to Russia.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Ah, american exceptionalism. I wondered when that was going to be mentioned.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Nuclear1

Yeah, I don't agree with that analysis.

I say it again:  it doesn't affect unit cohesion because nobody cares.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Ah, american exceptionalism. I wondered when that was going to be mentioned.

I suggest you read that last sentence again, E.

Yeah, I don't agree with that analysis.

You too, Nuclear.

Drawing comparisons between the US and most Western European militaries is demonstrably facile on multiple levels, and I even cited why. But there are examples that work out there, for this, and I cited one. Grow up. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Aardwolf

He said that abuse is the only harm, not homosexuality, pedophilia, or incest; and that any of those three is only harmful insofar as it's accompanied by sexual abuse. (Or "nearly" so.)

Good, someone understood!

I ship off to Air Force boot camp in Texas in about a month and a half. And I must say the thing that worries me the most is how conservative the people are. I am very left leaning socially. I am an atheist, believe in full gay rights, yada yada yada. I am NOT pushy, as that is what I hate about many religious people. I am really worried, however, that I will let it slip I am an atheist, and the people there will make my life hell. I am in support of the repeal of DADT just so that USAF ranks fill up with more tolerant left leaning individuals.

Offline Nuclear1

What job are you thinking about going into?

Air Force BMT is really low-key about religion.  The only place you'll get religious lecturing is if you choose to go to any of the religious services during your time down there (which I still recommend you do...it's the only time during the week that you'll get to let your guard down). 
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

What job are you thinking about going into?

Air Force BMT is really low-key about religion.  The only place you'll get religious lecturing is if you choose to go to any of the religious services during your time down there (which I still recommend you do...it's the only time during the week that you'll get to let your guard down).  

Well that's good to hear. Other then the religious thing I'm pretty excited to go. My job is actually "guaranteed" in my contract, I'm 2m031, or "missile and space systems electronic maintenance" which I suspect will involve me sitting around with a wrench for hours on end. It's supposedly very computer and circuit oriented, but who knows. The only info I can find online indicates that most people with this AFSC end up working in the nuclear silos out in Montana/North Dakota/Wyoming or at bomber bases. So we'll see.

What about you?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 07:24:04 am by Insomniac34 »