Author Topic: MGM ends Stargate Mod  (Read 2207 times)

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Originally posted by IPAndrews

I don't care what you think. I own a big house. I am the alpha male. Keeping contact. Yes I suppose you could call it that.

Well, I don't won't to start something here, but I took a look in his board. He seems to be nice to the people who like him. (No excuse, but at least he's not 100% commercial motivated, but super-selfish...) ;)
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, this certainbly isn't going to do their sales figures any good when they do actually release the game.

Oh yes, and maybe Belezarius should sue MGM, after all, Buck Rodgers was using 'Stargates' in the 1960s/70s :)

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Originally posted by Flipside
Well, this certainbly isn't going to do their sales figures any good when they do actually release the game.

Well, I think  the more mods, TCs, or games in general there are, the bigger is the interst in the 'topic' (like Star Wars).
Which is a good thing, even for the companies.

If they create a good game, they will perhaps even sell more copies than without the community.

Nobody says: "I got the StarWars mod, so I won't buy StarWars games anymore..." ;)

I think having mods based on your movie/game is a proof for a good fanbase.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by DaBrain

Well, I don't won't to start something here, but I took a look in his board. He seems to be nice to the people who like him. (No excuse, but at least he's not 100% commercial motivated, but super-selfish...) ;)

He likes sycophants (who doesn't!).

The reason - to go a bit OT - people don't like DS is because he acts like a complete arse to anyone who disagrees with or criticises him; normally calling them idiots etc.  And (potential or actual) customers normally expect the same basic respect they get from any person who tries to sell stuff to them.

Offline Inquisitor

Interesting related discussion:

http://www.garagegames.com/mg/forums/result.thread.php?qt=8453

Most germaine post, IMHO:

Look, if you plan to publically release something based on someone else´s work, you obtain permission first. It´s really not that complicated. If you can´t get permission, don´t plan on releasing it. It doesn´t matter if you plan on profitting from it or not. There isn´t a grey zone here. There isn´t a "maybe it will be OK". This is just what you need to do.
No signature.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, from a purely personal point of view, making games from other peoples ideas hasn't really appealed to me. I'd much prefer to make my own ideas into realities ;)

Offline Inquisitor

I think I will, realistically, end up doing both. Sometimes you need a break from yourself ;)
No signature.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Flipside
Well, from a purely personal point of view, making games from other peoples ideas hasn't really appealed to me. I'd much prefer to make my own ideas into realities ;)

Likewise... the only reason I use the FS universe is to avoid doing the extra work for a TC, most of my best ideas are at (likely) a complete tangent to what Volition would have intended with the FS storyline.