Author Topic: Differences in CVS build pairs  (Read 973 times)

Differences in CVS build pairs
Noob again.  I've noticed that the CVS builds come in pairs when you download them (for example: "fs2_open_367_p4_d.exe" and "fs2_open_367_p4.exe").  What is the difference between the "d" and non-"d" versions and which one is recommended?

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Re: Differences in CVS build pairs
_d versions are debug builds, which means they have more checks and warnings to tell you what's going wrong, or when something might go wrong.

The non-d versions are release builds, which have less checks and warnings, are less likely to tell you what's going wrong, but as a result run much faster.

So if you're just playing, non-d versions are recommended. If you have a problem , the -d versions are recommended, because the error messages will help narrow down what's going wrong.
-C

Re: Differences in CVS build pairs
Also of note are the P4 builds which are optimized for Pentium4's and Athlon64's.  They run somewhat faster, but I must say my experience with them tells me to avoid them because of the weird game bugs that appear.

Things like flying a Ptah but not being stealthed and being able to target friendlies with missiles.  Weird stuff.