Author Topic: The amazing seethrough ship  (Read 1129 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The amazing seethrough ship
I'm having a problem with a corvette I made earlier. I got it all modelled, turreted and LODded. When I put it into the game I found I could see the suns glowing straight through my ship. Not only that but I could actually fly through the back of it.

Here's a thread with pics of the orignial

Not to be beaten I viewed this as a challenge. It gave me an excuse to go back to the start and improve the model (It was a little boxy I`ll admit that).

So I slaved away the whole of yesterday and today and remade the ship. It now looks much better. I test it in the game and what do I find? I can see the sun through the back half and fly through it.

I`ve tracked the problem down but for the life of me I can`t see what on earth I`ve done wrong, let alone how to fix it.

This version of the ship works fine. I can`t fly through it. I take the ship and sweep/extrude it a little.

Now I can fly through the last segment. I can`t figure out why. I triangulated it to check it wasn`t non-flat polys. Same thing.

Anyway  here is a copy of both versions as both pofs and cobs so you can have a look at them yourselves.

I would be grateful if anyone could tell me what on Earth is the problem as I`m stumped.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
It might be worth reading the page about creating stable geometry in the ship creation guide.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Read it. There isn`t a problem on that page that shouldn`t be fixed by triangulating the model.

Besides if there was a problem with last segments geometry I can`t figure out why it doesn`t show up in the other model. The last segment in the good model was sweeped too. That section works fine but when I sweep it again the model stops working.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
if you can exclude ALL the possible causes
(interceptions, bad geometry...) then...it happens... some kind of shapes gives sometime problems, like the xwing in my case, it happened to aldo too.....

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I missed a possible cause. PCS! Pof2FS2 converted it fine.