Author Topic: Problem compiling recent changes- 30 Oct 2002  (Read 7047 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Problem compiling recent changes- 30 Oct 2002
checked out this morning
Compiling...
cfile.cpp
D:\Games\projects\freespace2_public\fs2_open\code\CFile\cfile.cpp(220) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '<<'
D:\Games\projects\freespace2_public\fs2_open\code\CFile\cfile.cpp(229) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '>>'
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\memory.h(28) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '{'
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\memory.h(28) : error C2447: missing function header (old-style formal list?)
CfileSystem.cpp
D:\Games\projects\freespace2_public\fs2_open\code\CFile\CfileSystem.cpp(266) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '<<'
D:\Games\projects\freespace2_public\fs2_open\code\CFile\CfileSystem.cpp(268) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '{'
D:\Games\projects\freespace2_public\fs2_open\code\CFile\CfileSystem.cpp(271) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '=='
D:\Games\projects\freespace2_public\fs2_open\code\CFile\CfileSystem.cpp(273) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '{'
D:\Games\projects\freespace2_public\fs2_open\code\CFile\CfileSystem.cpp(276) : error C2065: 'DIR_SEPARATOR_STR' : undeclared identifier
D:\Games\projects\freespace2_public\fs2_open\code\CFile\CfileSystem.cpp(278) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '>>'
D:\Games\projects\freespace2_public\fs2_open\code\CFile\CfileSystem.cpp(305) : error C2601: 'cf_packfile_sort_func' : local function definitions are illegal
D:\Games\projects\freespace2_public\fs2_open\code\CFile\CfileSystem.cpp(321) : error C2601: 'cf_build_pack_list' : local function definitions are illegal
D:\Games\projects\freespace2_public\fs2_open\code\CFile\CfileSystem.cpp(1231) : fatal error C1070: mismatched #if/#endif pair in file 'D:\Games\projects\freespace2_public\fs2_open\code\CFile\CfileSystem.cpp'
MissionCampaign.cpp
D:\Games\projects\freespace2_public\fs2_open\code\Mission\MissionCampaign.cpp(417) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ')' before identifier 'DIR_SEPARATOR_STR'
D:\Games\projects\freespace2_public\fs2_open\code\Mission\MissionCampaign.cpp(417) : error C2059: syntax error : ')'
Error executing cl.exe.

fs2_open_debug.exe - 15 error(s), 0 warning(s)

the version of my code that had the new warp out stuff and had fixed the locking thing, and the new glow point code is now also effected by this as I forgot to make a backup before updateing it  the other day
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Inquisitor

Bob: look in the source code directory of the affected files, you SHOULD see all the earlier versions of your files.

Also, generally speaking, watch the status window of CVS, look for U's and C's, you might have a conflict that didn;t get resolved automatically, and you may need to edit out the CVS generated comments on that conflict.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2002, 12:40:10 pm by 122 »
No signature.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
these lines in cfile.cpp
<<<<<<< cfile.cpp
and
>>>>>>> 2.5
are causeing four of the errors, where did they come from?
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Inquisitor

You have a local conflict, those are the way CVS marks things you have to manually correct. The 2.5 ios the file version number. It tried to merge, but was unable to, so you can go in, look for those comments, and do somethig to them.
No signature.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
but this isn't a merge, this is from a checkout, I downloaded the sorce as it was so I could manualy merge my files into it
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
maybe I did it wrong, I'll do it again, this time make sure I rename the directory
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
now I'm getting this
d:\games\projects\freespace2_public\fs2_open\code\cmdline\cmdline.h(37) : fatal error C1070: mismatched #if/#endif pair in file 'd:\games\projects\freespace2_public\fs2_open\code\cmdline\cmdline.h'
last time I fixed this it led to a crash
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Inquisitor

No, it sounds as though you did it right. What happened (at least what looks like happened) is you got caught by DTP's mod code checkin, and it didn;t know how to merege it automatically with whatever chanegs you made to those files.

It's marked all the places, in the cc and .h files, where you need to have a look at what YOU wanted versus what was in CVS, looks like it's about 4 sections of code or so.

Follow?

I have to run to a meeting, let's get in a real time chat after 3 est if you are still have issues.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2002, 12:56:54 pm by 122 »
No signature.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
ok I just got a copy of what is up on CVS and compiled it, and it will compile, but it crashes before the debug widow opens up,  nothing was merged, this is exactly what is up there now without any changes made (as far as I can tell)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline RandomTiger

I agree with Inquisitor, its rollback time.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
so how do I get the older version
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Inquisitor

Several posts up, it's an option in the update.

Select the files that are causing the problem, right click, update, then in the "sticky/merge" tab (whatever it is called) put in the date of the file that is good (anything before yesterday I think, day before at the lastest, look at the web CVS entry for the file in question to see when it was last updated).

Need to get home and look at this, sort out what happened, yell at whoever broke it :)

-edit-
Wait a sec....

cmdline.h? I rolled that back already, lemme see if I screwed up the roll back (that's possible).

edit-2
Ooops, I goofed, one sec, gimme a few to see what it is, you should still be able to grab the older version of that .h with the above instructions, seems like I goofed the roll back...

-edit3-
Try now, I had a bad rollback, forgot to reset the sticky tag.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2002, 02:23:23 pm by 122 »
No signature.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
still won't run
can we get this fixed I can't do anything untill I get working code again
« Last Edit: October 30, 2002, 11:44:57 pm by 57 »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline RandomTiger

k. Im going to try and make this a constructive comment and people should read it as one.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was scared fs2_open is going to suffer from. Its a total waste when Bob cant get into the code to do what he wants.

I count myself lucky I have my own little code branch and and I am confident no-ones going to screw it up.

Obviously this kind of stuff happens, indeed I made a mistake recently that stopped debug DX compiling for a short time.

But at least I know I compiled it under at least one setting and properly documented my change.

Offline Inquisitor

One mistake does not wreck the train.

I am going to Oregon for a few days, but will have access.

I will look at it again when I land later today.

Bobbau, I rolled back cmdline.h, what are the new errors. Start a new thread on this so we can sort it out. You STILL sound like you have manual conflicts you have to resolve. It only puts those >>>>> <<<<<<< in when there is such a thing.

I am splitting this thread from the "next build" one.

Check the version number on the cmdlin.h, it SHOULD say 2.10 and are the errors the same?

I am going to be equally constructive and say that most of this conversation SHOULD have taken place over some kind of real time chat.

Also, EVERY CHANGE IS DOCUMENTED. LOOK AT CVS. I don;t mean to be rude, but, we have the tools to make sure we can find these errors, and roll them back. The CVS weblog for each file exists, go look at the files giving you errors and make your own determination. Even the last committ where there were no comments in the logs SHOWS you there was a committ (and I have chastised the appropriate person for missing that, everyone makes mistakes).

So, Bob, help me out here and tell me if the same file is failing in the same place. We roll back till we get it right.

I land at 5:27 PST, probably check in around 6. I'll try compiling it on the plane and hopefully have some news.

RT: Did it compile for you?

DTP: How about you?

Anyone else?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2002, 06:00:53 am by 122 »
No signature.

Offline RandomTiger

Will the rollback affect DX8 branch?

Offline Inquisitor

No, it won't.

I'd like everyone to take some time and go to the CVS link stickied. Look over the link to the CVS docs I posted and get a little familiar (it's not hard) with the tool.
No signature.

Offline Inquisitor

I apologize if I sound snitty, I guess I assumed people looked at the CVS docs first. My apologies.

I will HAPPILY walk people thru how to use this, online, in a real time chat, after the IGC.

Btw, I am connected via my spiffy cell phone modem, on my laptop, in Logan airport. I think that is pretty cool :) No wires :)
I am compiling now, will report back in a few.

-edit-
fs2_open.exe - 0 error(s), 11 warning(s)

Lemme try and run it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2002, 07:51:32 am by 122 »
No signature.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
it's not a compile error, it crashes before the debug window opens with an assertion failure while trying to build a file list
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
good luck at that conference
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3