warn them first, but kick them the second time
14 (53.8%)
kick them if they inslut someone, buit if they're just anoying,let them be
4 (15.4%)
just let it be
3 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: February 21, 2003, 01:43:17 pm

Author Topic: how tight should an admin be?  (Read 6702 times)

how tight should an admin be?
since i've now got my own forum (in dutch) i'm getting problems moderating it, i've got people cursing on teachers, boasting about what they will hack, having they're usernames in all caps, etc. etc. etc.
anway, my question to yu guys is: how tight should i be?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2002, 01:48:39 pm by 936 »
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
All admins should, in order to gain adminship rights, be me. If they are not me, they have no hope of doing it properly and should give up now and let me do as I please. Particularly those damn Gamespy tightasses- NOBODY bans me and gets away with it!

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Lay down some tyranical rules and some fair rules then impliment the tyranical ones at random instances.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

(as to stryke9's post)
outch, i don't think that any of the admins here will like that, and neither do i!!!
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
1: Be as fair as YOU CAN (You're human...you'll **** up sometimes)

2: Warn ppl when they break a rule or just do something disruptive to the board yet not "written in stone"

3: If a warning fails to help,....temp ban, a few days, a week, perhaps even a month.

4: All else,.. complete ban,...but only as a last resort OR if someone REALLY crossed a line.

It really all depends on the boards. HLP used to be really tight on spam,....now a days it's not even all that concerned with it.

Hope this might help a little.
Warlock

DeathAngel Squadron, Forever remembered.

Do or Do Not,..There Is No Spoon

To Fly Exotic Ships, Meet Exotic People, and Kill Them.

We may rise and fall, but in the end
 We meet our fate together

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
I've found constant threats of banning, even for no reason, keep people in line, but the NW peeps generally aren't that unruly.
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Demand sexual favors in exchange for not IP-banning. Flame irritable newbies, then ban them for insulting an admin. Two days before each Christmas, ban everyone for a week, posting a message on the forum telling them to "get a life, losers". And lock any threads expressing opinions you disapprove of.

ok, stryke9, i was actually looking for serious answers......:rolleyes:

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
What'd you think those were? I was once an admin, too, ya know...

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Is there a clear focus, purpose or 'mission' for the forum? Trying to achieve something.. The more so, the tighter you need to be to keep the irritation level of regulars/core low enough, I guess. But if it's just for fun, then who cares too much...

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Holy ****, it's green.

No, this post had no other point than that. This is my content-free post for the day, I guess.

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Originally posted by Stryke 9
Holy ****, it's green

Drag a Xmas tree in a grayish dump like this.. cant avoid the  influece ;)

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
I thought that Windrunner had the only rights to green on this board.

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
I think an admin should try to be there for his members at all times, but no way he should put up with every retard intelligent enough to use the internet. ban the most annoying ones, and tell everyone else that if they don't shape up, they're gonna be next.

oh, and you shouldn't have to warn them. they need to agree to your terms to sign up, right?
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
Originally posted by kode
I think an admin should try to be there for his members at all times, but no way he should put up with every retard intelligent enough to use the internet. ban the most annoying ones, and tell everyone else that if they don't shape up, they're gonna be next.

oh, and you shouldn't have to warn them. they need to agree to your terms to sign up, right?

And in a short time you'll be the only member of your own board.

The point of a forum is to have ppl DISCUSS things, not to get a powertrip off it.

Thousands upon thousands of forums on the net, get ban happy,..and why the **** would ppl stay ?
Warlock

DeathAngel Squadron, Forever remembered.

Do or Do Not,..There Is No Spoon

To Fly Exotic Ships, Meet Exotic People, and Kill Them.

We may rise and fall, but in the end
 We meet our fate together

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Originally posted by Warlock
Thousands upon thousands of forums on the net, get ban happy,..and why the **** would ppl stay ?

To watch me find a proxy and get banned again.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Lay down clear guidelines for forum content and behaviour.
Give a user one warning when they act in-appropriately
Ban them for a week the second time they do it
Ban them permanently and get them to contact you the third time
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com

My first thought is, "Very. It feels better that way." That's probably not the answer you're looking for though.

Clear guidelines, a documented adjudication process, a tiered warning/discipline system and having auxilliary admins you trust are all good things.

Make sure that some of your admins are picked because they DO NOT AGREE WITH YOU on everything, but know how to discuss things rationally. Then, when the inevitible problems arise with users, you have admins who can argue both sides of the case (in private).
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by mikhael

My first thought is, "Very. It feels better that way." That's probably not the answer you're looking for though.

That's so... so wrong! Think of the children man! :lol:

As for me, well I kinda linger between strict and not if you know what I mean. Spam is just going to happen at a certain point in a boards existance - you can either rage against it or live with it or do a bit of both depending on how much crap it is... in the end it's down to the boards focus and so on. I dont think I can't say anything else that hasn't already been said.

Good luck!

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Originally posted by Thunder
Think of the children man!

:wtf:   Sick mofo.