Author Topic: Creepy......  (Read 8993 times)

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
My computer is playing MP3s without me having an MP3 player running, or indeed any sign of an active process in my task manager.  It's taking up no processor cycles or anything.  It's like the MP3s were loaded into my sound card and are playing from there.  In fact, I can't stop them from playing.

Not the first time this has happened, either.  The only way to fix it is to reboot.  What the hell is going on with my computer?
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Told you, it's haunted.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
That's creepy if anything! :eek:
I have no idea what's going on in your puter... :nervous:

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
It's not haunted.. just part of The Plan™...

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
What, the People's Liberation Army Navy?  What do the Chinese have to do with my computer?

Damned reds, they get into everything!
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
What OS? And post a screenshot (GIF, not JPG!!!!) of your task manager's process viewer.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin

This was taken during the middle of one of the songs.  Running Win2k.  The high memory usage is because I have MAX running as well.

Offline Ulundel

• Big press poppa
Sounds like another episode from the X-Files ;)

Well, if you don't see any stuff running there it's gotta be the sound card. These things sometimes just blow up.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
:wtf:

What mp3 files are these? Does it play the same one(s) every time?

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Originally posted by Shrike
[image removed by the space conservation society]

This was taken during the middle of one of the songs.  Running Win2k.  The high memory usage is because I have MAX running as well.

This has happened to me too. I think its something to do with the way the windows hardware abstraction layer deals with audio, tho I can't be more specific 'cos I don't know.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
If you can isolate them to certain mp3 files or at least a certain folder....try renaming it. It's a **** way to fix it... but any port in a storm eh ?
Warlock

DeathAngel Squadron, Forever remembered.

Do or Do Not,..There Is No Spoon

To Fly Exotic Ships, Meet Exotic People, and Kill Them.

We may rise and fall, but in the end
 We meet our fate together

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
Originally posted by CP5670
:wtf:

What mp3 files are these? Does it play the same one(s) every time?
Yeah, it plays the list I had in winamp when I closed it earlier.

Offline diamondgeezer

Only one thing you can do - grab the nearest priest and get him to perform an exorcism on your sound card :nod:

Offline SKYNET-011

• O_o
Petrach and a few other escaped in a pod but were covered in watermelon juice....it was horrible :eek2: :shaking: -dan87uk

OMFGWTFAOLBBQBATMAN!!!!!11114111-MicroPsycho

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Originally posted by SKYNET-011
Virus?:wtf:

Don't think so personally.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
That's not the computer. Turn it off, get out of the house. Run. Avoid security cameras. And cats. Keep away from any cats. Now!

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
You think its the computer, but its really not. Check the big crate to your left. It's really those SM gurlies that were sent to ya. Their singin' your favorite tune :nod:
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Ulundel

• Big press poppa
Ok guys, don't tell me you haven't heard about the MP3 playing condoms...

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by Ten of Twelve
Ok guys, don't tell me you haven't heard about the MP3 playing condoms...

I'm not going to ask where the hell do you get those things.

I'm placing my bet on the SM girlies
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
What kind of tune does it play? Crazy Train by Black Sabbath? ;7