Author Topic: problems with modding  (Read 2302 times)

Offline Murlyn

problems with modding
:confused: how can i edit the .tbl files? cause when i try i can't get it to let me add another ships .tlb file.

Offline Solatar

There's only one ships.tbl file, and it is edited in Notepad. Each ship has its own entry.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
*Fire Control, target Murlyn.  Warm up the beam.  And... FIRE!*

Exits are to the sides and rear.  Personal flamethrowers are located beneath your seat in case of emergency or naughty disposition.  If you run into any Shivans while crawling through the ductwork, it's probably just Carl.  Give him your lunch, don't make any sudden moves, and you'll be fine.

Anyway, to edit table files, you need only open them with Notepad.  They are simply text files with a different file extention.  That TBLView program is more or less useless.  I've changed the associated program for the .tbl files entirely.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
Originally posted by Sesquipedalian
If you run into any Shivans while crawling through the ductwork, it's probably just Carl.

It could very easily be me. Carl's not the ONLY Shivan around here!:mad: :sigh: :(
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

ohhh $H*T,
*gives killfrenzy his lunch, and backs away VERY, VERY slowly* good shivan, good shivan.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2003, 02:11:40 pm by 936 »
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Murlyn

:) I"d like to thank all of your help and your welcomes.I'm hoping to put out a campaign soon so I'll probly need more help.So thanks again.

Offline Killfrenzy

• Randomly Existing
Originally posted by kasperl
ohhh $H*T,
*gives killfrenzy his lunch, and backs away VERY, VERY slowly* good shivan, good shivan.

Good Terran, good Terran! :D
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
------------

*pulls stun gun from pocket*
*stuns killfrenzy*
ahh, that's better. btw, how many shivans are here anyway?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Killfrenzy

• Randomly Existing
*Gets up and plasma beams kasperl*

Well, there's me, Carl and I think Dr. Zer0 (wherever he's gone!). :D
------------

*runs around*
AHH PUT IT OUT, PUT IT OUT. WHERE IS THE FLAME EXTINGUISHER
*rolls on the floor trying to extinguish te flames*
AHH, I'M GONNA SUE THAT DAMN ARMS DEALER
*is finally extinghuished by a passer by*
ok, that's it, i'm calling the exterminator, we have a pest problem. right now they're only three of 'em, but i heard these damn things breed like rodents. now where's my phone?

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
Murlyn
first off, welcome to hLP :D

You mentioned a campaign...:)  If you don`t mind me asking, i know it`s probably still to early to ask this but do you have anything that you have planned for the campaign as of yet ?
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

Offline Murlyn

Campaign: The Long Road Home
I thought about resolving some of my own questions about Bosh, the shivans, and the ancients. What if Bosh found out that the shivans were actually the victims of the ancients. What if the anceints were really the destroyers in the first Freespace?

I know some might say "well why did they attack everyone?".My response would be that after 8000 yrs of hiding they were scared and the antaires system was really they'res,that's why the lucifer was destroyed.Anyway I thought bout bringing in the real destroyers and reconnecting with Earth.

But I have a few more twists to put in there so in the end you'll ask yourself if finding away back to earth was worth the price everyone had to pay.But it will give my look into Freespace.

if you or anyone has some .pof's, music, or other ideas then let me know and if Iget it done  I'll give them the credit for their part in bringing my campaign about.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
If I may make a suggestion -

You're a newbie (note the small 'n', so don't take offense :) ) who couldn't figure out how to edit the table files without asking for help, despite the tutorials that mention it around the place. It would be my suggestion that before you try to have the Ancients in, and opening the portal to earth and all that you make yourself a nice, short 3 or 4 mission camp with maybe one or two mods - nothing elaborate, just a practice run.

If you try to jump headlong into a massive campaign, you will fail, and whatever unique ideas you have will almost certainly be lost witht he campaign. Practice makes perfect.

(NB. I'm not trying to pull a Zylon and knock the **** out of you just because your new. I've asked obvious questions on BBs before, and my first project was overly ambitious and fell apart. Just trying to help you to not make the same mistakes I did :).)
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Black Wolf makes a good point. I rushed into a single handed campaign and now a year and a half later I`m still working on it :)

Either make a small mini-campaign single-handed (The community loves those so you`ll certainly get their attention) or work for a little bit with one of the projects already running. There is a constant demand for FREDders, Modders and texturers all the time - simply post what you can do and you`d probably find yourself snapped up in a few hours :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Murlyn

I was just saying what type of campaign i would love to put out but I know that I'm not that good yet. But i'll take your advice.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The other reason is that you`ll make new friends and connections in the community by working with a team. Some of those may help you refine your dream campaign's ideas and may even help you with your own campaign later.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
I can see better things comming, and working with other people will indeed aid you in your campaign quest :)
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought