Author Topic: System requirements  (Read 2156 times)

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
Could someone please tell me what the system requirements are for SCP builds that have glowmapping?  I'm currently running a 2.6ghz Athlon with 256mb of DDR ram, TNT2 video, and broken on-board sound.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Well, if it works on a Duron 600, with 384 Mb ram, Geforce 2 32mb, it should work on any system. It also ran when I had 128 ram...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Fry_Day

First of all, there's no 2.6GHz athlon - there's a great difference between an AthlonXP 2600+, which runs at around 2.166GHz, and a 2.6GHz processor.
Do yourself a favor, and get a new video card. Practically every 50$ card is at least 4 times as fast and with plenty of newer features

Offline Grey Wolf

Shouldn't be that hard to run a Barton @ 2.6 assuming you have adequate cooling. Just increase the 2500+'s FSB to 200 and multiplier to 13.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
threquirements are about the same as the origonal FS2, more memory is required but, probly not much, this is however to rune the engine, the game can be steped up to realy high levels depending on who's mod you are running
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Fry_Day

Note that a card that supports multitexturing is required (at least in OpenGL, I think D3D automatically does multipass if your hardware can't do enough texture stages) if you plan on using glowmaps, but just about every card since the Voodoo 2 supports multitexturing, so that doesn't really matter, unless you're running a very old system

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
Originally posted by Fry_Day
Note that a card that supports multitexturing is required (at least in OpenGL, I think D3D automatically does multipass if your hardware can't do enough texture stages) if you plan on using glowmaps, but just about every card since the Voodoo 2 supports multitexturing, so that doesn't really matter, unless you're running a very old system
Is TNT2 considered before or after Voodoo 2?  Running Win 98, and I meant AthlonXP 2600 (didn't think that'd make much of a difference, since I've run FS2 on 550mhz of AMD).

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The TNT card is about the same time period as the Voodoo 2/Banshee cards. I use a GeForce 4 MX, cheap, cheerful, and very very pretty :) Runs the SCP with specular shading like a dream :)

Flipside :D

Offline Fry_Day

To clarify, yes, the TNT2 is after the voodoo 2. The original TNT is also later than the Voodoo 2, and supports multitexturing.

GeForce4 MXs are NOT pretty. They are old hardware marketed as new.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Originally posted by Fry_Day
To clarify, yes, the TNT2 is after the voodoo 2. The original TNT is also later than the Voodoo 2, and supports multitexturing.

GeForce4 MXs are NOT pretty. They are old hardware marketed as new.

The key thing about GF4MXs is that they are targeted for a low to medium end consumer market, not the Uber-Gamer.  The Uber-Gamer is going to buy the latest and greatest whatever.  The rest of us are slightly more realistic and ofttimes can't justify sacrificing the 5 tanks of gas or power bill that it might take to upgrade.  The MX series has always been targeted toward this audience.  They are not going to do as well in benchmarks or in games as the GF4Ti,  but GF4MXs are better than GF2s in most circumstances especially since they come with either 64 or 128mb of RAM.  I've used a GF4MX for nearly a year and have had no complaints.

But based on your setup, I would save your pennies and swing by Wal-Mart and pick up one of the several kinds of GFFX 5200s they've got lining their shelves.  I could get one locally for about $150.00 US if I had the loose cash.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Grey Wolf

Why would you get a GFFX5200? They're GF4MX's w/ DX9 capability! For 150 USD you could buy a 9500 or a 5600 w/ 256MB!
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Originally posted by Grey Wolf 2009
Why would you get a GFFX5200? They're GF4MX's w/ DX9 capability! For 150 USD you could buy a 9500 or a 5600 w/ 256MB!

No, the FX 5200 is the eqivalent of a GF4 4200 in the FX product line.  If he's not an Uber-Gamer that must have every single frame possible from a video card then it should serve him well into late 2004 - mid 2005.

My bad BTW, you can get a 5600 w/256 for $150 ONLINE.  I hate online shopping, I don't trust it.  I know it's statistically safer than giving your card to someone in a store but I don't have a credit card and proably won't have one in the near future so I prefer some place that I can use good, old-fashioned CASH.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2003, 01:00:27 am by 607 »
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline diamondgeezer

I had an FX5200. It turned in about a third of the performance of my Ti4200. So I fenced it on Ebay and got a Ti48 instead :cool:

Offline Fry_Day

Originally posted by Liberator

No, the FX 5200 is the eqivalent of a GF4 4200 in the FX product line.  If he's not an Uber-Gamer that must have every single frame possible from a video card then it should serve him well into late 2004 - mid 2005.

My bad BTW, you can get a 5600 w/256 for $150 ONLINE.  I hate online shopping, I don't trust it.  I know it's statistically safer than giving your card to someone in a store but I don't have a credit card and proably won't have one in the near future so I prefer some place that I can use good, old-fashioned CASH.

The FX 5200 is horrendous and slow, and can easily be found for like $50. If your price-range is 50$, I'd say go for a radeon 9000 or 9100. for 130$ in pricewatch you can already get a Radeon 9500/9600 or GeForce FX 5600 128MB.
I've never bought a graphics card in over $120, ever (that's including my current GeForce4 Ti4200. They had a great rebate over at Fry's :) ).