Author Topic: engine glow question  (Read 2190 times)

Offline Lynx

engine glow question
If it has already been done, pardon my ignorance.:p

Right now, engine glows are always there, even when the ship sit's there at 0 m/s. I'd like the engine glows  to disappear when the ship isn't moving. I think it would be cool looking when a huge cap fires up it's engines when it starts moving.

(Hope you understand what I'm meaning):nod:
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

sounds cool.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
Maybe increase the glow size as she gets faster? The fighters have two glow sizes for speed.
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Offline diamondgeezer

This seems like a good topic to say that I'd like to be able to stop a ship dead without actually disabling it, ie. it'd effectively be disabled but there's be no 'disabled' tag on the target box or owt like that. The engine glows would be shut off or reduced right down when in this state. And before anyone tries to be clever, I'm well aware of the stay-still and the likes, but I'm talking about having no chance of the ship moving, whatever happens, as well as the engine effects.

Sounds like a good idea. The ship isn't actually disabled, but the engine is turned off. No engine wash as well.

AND, individual engines on a ship would also turn off the engine glows for that part of the ship. The Sathanas for example has a LOT of engines, If you disable the main engine it still has a glow (and engine wash) until you disable ALL the engines, where ALL the glows will be disabled. Also, as you disable individual engines, the ship would get slower too, the bigger engines will have a bigger penalty on speed, i.e. if you disable the lower left small engine on a Sathanas, it wouldn't slow much, but if you disable the main engine it will slow to a limp.

Will probably take up table entries.

If I may have some input, I have an idea.  

I think another engine effect would be cool.  Specifically, on startup.  On engine startup, perhaps somebody could add an engine effect that looks like an afterburner, but isn't.  Perhaps this could be an effect granted on all accelerations, though I would be willing to bet that it would be easiest (and probably best anyway) to reserve it for engine startup.

My thoughts on the matter.  Otherwise, I'm liking the direction that the previous thoughts stated have been going.

Offline FreeTerran

• Master of the apocalypse
    Reset count: 1
Hehe...nice idea any from the code wizardz ?
Silva in lumine Lunae arcana est. Domos mea Silva in lumine Stellarum est.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
i would just change the opacity of the engine glow so it matches the current speed. After all, engine glows already flicker - so i guess it should be a possible thing to change :)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
You all do realize that the engine glows already change when the ship is stopped... the animation stays the same but the scale is altered noticably.  If you want the engine glow to dissapear when the ship is stopped, I would think that the coders could find that scale setting and set it to 0 and that would achieve the desired effect.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

How about instead of making it look as if the engine is off, make the glowing dimmer?  Have the glow still on the engine but a very faint tint, especially at 0 m/s
Watching from the background since 17 April 2002.

Offline Lynx

We have something like that now. They aren't really dim, but dimmer to the engine glows while moving. I always thought it was kinda stupid when the ship which weren't moving had engine glows. Unless it's some kind of exotic engine in FS which I don't understand, htey'd have to fire their rear thrusters all the time to stay still.:doubt:
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.