Author Topic: Sectors of the galaxy  (Read 5600 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I was wondering if anyone has more detailed information about sectors acting in FS. Like how usable that sectors are, how many planets do they have, how much time does it take for a ship to reach it with subspace from another sector etc. etc.

Geographical things.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline magatsu1

no help, but I was also woundering if it was possible to get access to the full map from FS2 command briefings.
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
Do a search for "Nodemaps". There were a couple posted in the last month or so. :)
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
There are lots of node maps around. I'd reccomend one but The Freespace Reference Guide has one and is something anyone seriously interested in FS2 should have anyway.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I made this last month. It's the most up-to-date nodemap in existance, to my knowledge.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline J3Vr6

So how long does it take to go from one node to the other?  Does distance matter in subspace?  Or does all subspace travel take x amount of time to get thru?
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I think subspace travel is relatively fast, a matter of a few minutes for interstellar jumps and a few seconds for in system jumps.  The bigger factor in ship movement I think is the time it takes for subspace drives to recharge... from all observed data it seems this takes from between 5 and 15 minutes (though it could be a reserve thing too, limiting a large ship to x jumps a day) though there is little canon info on this.

And GE, I like that map more every time I see it :nod:
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I had an idea once for an advanced subspace drive system that would greatly reduce the time for subspace transit.  Currently, in order to travel from point A in system 1, to point B in system 2, a ship must:  enter local subspace in system 1 from point A, travel through local subspace to the inter-system node to system 2, drop out of subspace, enter the node and activate inter-system subspace drive, travel through the subspace corridor, exit from the node on the side of system 2, enter local subspace in system 2, travel through local subspace to point B, and exit back to normal space.  With this advanced drive, you would enter local subspace from point A, travel through local subspace to a point there that corresponds to the jump node to system 2, then go directly from local subspace into the inter-system corridor without having to drop back to normal space first.  The same would be true on the far side.  If someone managed to acquire that capability, it would allow someone to go anywhere that is connected by inter-system nodes and never exit subspace until they reach their destination.  Current military tactics of holding back an enemy advance by blockading jump nodes, would become completely obsolete.  Cool eh?

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I tend use the word "sector" as a general term in briefings to refer to a particular sub-region of a system.

Offline Havock

subspace depends on the speed of the ship, you can move around freely, seems like a tunnel.

if it was just a "stream" that you entered and exited at the 2 points, it would have made the lucifer mission in fs 1 impossible, because you would never be able to catch up with it.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
about subspace recharge rate: 'Endgame', NTF Iceni. :doubt:
so?

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Havock
subspace depends on the speed of the ship, you can move around freely, seems like a tunnel.

if it was just a "stream" that you entered and exited at the 2 points, it would have made the lucifer mission in fs 1 impossible, because you would never be able to catch up with it.

Subspace is a stream. Thats what the Subspace POF tries to make obvious. It is sucking you through the whole thing, but you can still add extra thrust with your engines or slow down a little if you fly in the opposite direction. So you can catch up with the Lucifer, but instead of flying your 50 m/s you'll prolly be flying something like (high value)+50 m/s - still faster than the (high value) m/s Lucifer. ;)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
I made this last month. It's the most up-to-date nodemap in existance, to my knowledge.

Does that include systems seen in mods?
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
apparently Tau Sigma is not canon :D

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Lightspeed

Subspace is a stream. Thats what the Subspace POF tries to make obvious. It is sucking you through the whole thing, but you can still add extra thrust with your engines or slow down a little if you fly in the opposite direction. So you can catch up with the Lucifer, but instead of flying your 50 m/s you'll prolly be flying something like (high value)+50 m/s - still faster than the (high value) m/s Lucifer. ;)

Of course. Absolute velocity is a meaningless concept in space.

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by Woolie Wool

Of course. Absolute velocity is a meaningless concept in space.

bah ... good to know :)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by TopAce
apparently Tau Sigma is not canon :D

Then T&T's two new systems need to be added to the map: 61 Cygni (about seven light-years from Earth, connected to Barnard's Star) and Proxima Centauri (slightly closer to Earth than Alpha Centauri, connected to Barnard's Star and by a jumpgate to Sol (the jumpgate is completed about halfway through A Terror and a Traitor, so there is initially no line between Proxima Centauri and Sol).

--General Battuta

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
allright ... you know the mods better. I only know the original [V] campaign and that waste Derelict.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
I'd be interested in seeing a real shot of our sector of the galaxy, with the FS2 systems placed on it, would be interesting ( and funny, I believe :doubt: )
SCREW CANON!

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I've written a lot of theories about subspace, but a few things are generally agreed upon:

Subspace is an n-dimensional rift that shortens your way across the galaxy.

It takes energy to travel through subspace, the bigger the ship you have, the less likely that you'll have enough energy to make it travel fast.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan