Author Topic: What do i need?  (Read 3249 times)

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
I bought Halo PC, yet my computer does not meet the specs on microsoft.com... It requires "733 MHz equivalent or higher processor" and  "32 MB T&L capable video card required"

I have 450MHz, and a 'NVIDIA RIVA TNT' video card... whatever that is... If i get the bare minimums video card so it just passes the T&L requirement, what should i expect so spend? Also, how easy is it to change proscessors to get at least 1 GHz, and how much will that run me? Any predictions?
--Hippo
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline diamondgeezer

No offence but I'n not touching that system with a barge pole. Consider that you'll prolly be looking at a new motherboard to support a bigger CPU, and you're basically talking about a new computer (as far as the insides go)

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
yeah, but that won't happen... my parents won't let me get a new computer till i go to college... the closest i'll be able to get is upgrades... the rest of the system is pretty good... 86Gigs hdd, 320Mb Ram, so it looks as if these are the only two things lacking compared to the rest anyway...

AHTW

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
New motherboard - Socket A - Athlon XP 2300 (or whatever they have in that range). Perhaps an upgrade to a Radeon 9600 or 9800 depending on price range?
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
I was thinking a bit cheaper then Radeon, like the bare minimums... Even if I have to get them used...

AHTW

If you search hard enough you should be able to find some old P3 733 or 750MHz processors. They should be really cheap by now. As for the video card, while the TNT2 does have some T&L functionality it is very old and slow. Anything Geforce and above will work perfectly fine. You can find some of the GeForce 3 and 4 cards really cheap now.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellem
         "If you wish for peace, prepare for war."

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Ebays lowest price for Geforce 3 is over $400... Im planning a trip to my local gateway o see what deals they can get me there, but they might not carry video cards...

AHTW

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
[color=66ff00]Just get a new mobo and chip, build it into the old case and say nowt. :D
[/color]

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Originally posted by Maeglamor
[color=66ff00]Just get a new mobo and chip, build it into the old case and say nowt. :D
[/color]

Yes, but im looking for what you think is an acceptable price for said things also...

AHTW

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
[color=66ff00]American or europe (well, specifically UK)?
[/color]

There's something really screwed up about Halo PC. I bought it. My comp is Celeron 1700, Nvidia Geforce 4 MX440 , 256 RAM etc, way above the required specs. and i can barely run Halo smooth when I have the graphics as low as theyll go in game.:mad:
Erinyes+(Kayser x 8)=Death

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Americian $$s, and microsofts website says it needs at least pentium...

AHTW

go to pricewatch.com they have a good listing of hardware that should work for you.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellem
         "If you wish for peace, prepare for war."

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
Originally posted by Hippo
Ebays lowest price for Geforce 3 is over $400... Im planning a trip to my local gateway o see what deals they can get me there, but they might not carry video cards...

WTF? i found a GeforceFX 5200 at Sams club for only $80!!!!
And never buy stuff from Gateway... (unless its a brand new PC)

Shadow_jdct, its probably your ram.... are you running XP?
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Well, my parents did one smart thing... they bought a lifetime discount through gateway when we got our first pc, and we et 20% off everything more then 6 months old...

AHTW

Offline diamondgeezer

Ebays lowest price for Geforce 3 is over $400...  

Someone's pulling your plonker, squire

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Americian $$s, and microsofts website says it needs at least pentium...

"At least a Pentium" as in not a 386.  A Celeron is a less expensive chip in most cases, but a good one is faster than anything below a P4 (and some early P4's too).  It's a server processor isn't it?  Not quite as fast but with a bigger cache?  At any rate, that's not the problem.  Unless Halo is using Pentium-optimized code.  Just because it isn't branded "Pentium" doesn't make it inferior.  And I had HaloPC running just fine on my 3 year old system, though my graphics card screwed up anything that was supposed to look reflective (P4 1.4Ghz, 512 RAM)  I think Halo's pretty RAM intensive, so that's likely your problem.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2003, 07:48:23 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
*smacks Hippo*

I TOLD you it wouldn't run it! But you went out and bought it anyway!

*smacks Hippo again*
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline 01010

::Giggles::

Halo REALLY struggles sometimes on my 2.1 XP with a GF4 Ti4200.

If you want to play it that badly it'd be cheaper for you to get an X-Box.
What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet sweet music? - Refused - Liberation Frequency.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I've got 256 MB of RAM and it still runs kind of choppy. I guess it must be really RAM intensive.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."