Author Topic: I have written an article  (Read 1972 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I have written an article
I really would like to do something usable for the community(Before Renegade Ressurgence releasal :)), so it came to my mind:
What if I write an article? I did.
It is about comparing Star Wars and FreeSpace. Why is it so difficult? The answer is here

Enjoy. ;)

Before you ask: I am not a native speaker :)
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline magatsu1

when you say FS ships have no shields, I take it you mean Cruisers and above ? (except for the Lucifier ofcourse)

i'm curious how the FS/Star Wars project guys have decided on what scale to make the larger ships, compaired to regular FS cap-ships ?

ajnyone care to compaire Shivans and B5 "Shadows" ? (is that the right name?)
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
SWTC keeps the sizes as they are. An ISD is 1.6 km long, so shorter than an Orion.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline magatsu1

ah, so there are specific dimensions which they can work from ?
Sounds pretty good.
How big is  a Super Star Destroyer ?
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
17.6 km long. This is a thing I am against, as I know it is 'only' 8 km long.

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
for you link-haters:

Comparing two different fiction universes is a very difficult operation. Star Wars Conversion for FreeSpace 2 is a daring idea, not only in the field of making new ships, effects and missions. The two universes(FreeSpace - Star Wars) doesn't pass to each other so well. That was not a single occassion when the SWTC staff was questioned about how is a ship(For instance a Super Star Destroyer) in Star Wars supposed to survive an assault from a ship in FreeSpace 2(For instance a ship from the same type, the Colossus). The answer is simple: Both the FreeSpace and Star Wars ship will survive! They won't meet, they are played in two (very) different universes.

The only reason why two universes don't pass is very simple to find an answer to: They are following different physiscs, imaginations and focuses. Let's suppose the creators of these worlds are living in the same age, and begin constructing up their universe at the same time, and they are working separately from each other, without the knowledge of each others existance.

The creators of these two worlds imagine a space universe a different way. They look after or ignore science in different occassions(Travelling in space is a good example here, while in Star Wars all ships travel with lightspeed from system to system, in FreeSpace, it would take several decades and centauris to reach a nearby system with lightspeed), they imagine their weaponry(Beams and flaks in FreeSpace, all ships have shields in Star Wars, except a few ones), armaments(Tractor beams in Star Wars), limits and enemies another way than the another one does. They follow a different storyline, they use different geographical focuses, number of species and systems.

Spaceships are also very different in both universes. As mentioned before, FreeSpace ships have beam cannons but no shields, the reversed is true for Star Wars ship. The normal sizes of ships and fleet are also so different. This is a case when the question comes up: Can starship shields absorb the beam energy? Or can the beam weapon ripple the shields in Star Wars over a hit? Which one can be victorius? These questions remain open, because the two world creators are not discussing with each other, they do not concile their imaginations, and they do not know about what the another one is doing.

The most difficult part in making Star Wars conversion for FreeSpace is that the staff is working with FreeSpace engine. This engine is obviously not optimized for Star Wars, and Source coding is very needed. Even therefore, it is still unknown how can the Star Wars universe be implemented into the FreeSpace engine.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Thanks, Carl
It didn't come to my mind to copy/paste it. :D

Offline diamondgeezer

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
not to mention that we don't know how powerful the star wars and freespace weapons are in the same untis.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Do you mean that how can a Prometheus S damage a ship in Star Wars?

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
no, we don't know how much damage the weapons from the different universes do compared to each other. eg, which gives more damage, a helios or a proton torpedo?
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Of course. As I mentioned in the article, these universes didn't, and won't meet. Things like this is going to remain a mystery.

Offline diamondgeezer

Thus begging the question 'how and why did you research and write this article?'

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Actually because I had the mood to write an article. :)
It is evident that you don't like it. Not a surprise. It is quite a little problem it doesn't interest me at all.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Because it is more a matter of getting Star Wars ships working in a Freespace universe (universe being performance parameters, weapon loadouts/types etc) e.g. Star Wars would probably only have a single beam weapon, despite the fact that Beam Weapons were a FS2 selling point.

Flipside :D

Offline diamondgeezer

Originally posted by TopAce
It is evident that you don't like it. Not a surprise.

Dude, not being funny but you're geting paranoid now. I don't bash you for the sake of it, you know. And I'm not bashing you this time, or your article - I haven't even read it. My point is that comparisons between to fictional universes is utterly pointless since you have very few facts to go on, and some extremely shaky physics. Fundamental questions like 'would FS beams puncture SW shields?' are basically a case of tossing a coin, and thus the conclusions drawn are built on flawed foundations. That, and many peeps here are fed up with Warsies who endlessly engage in these kind of exercises despite the protests of more reasonable folk. Now, if you really want to discuss the matter with someone who really genuinely cares, look up an HLPite named Authur Tuxedo - he's tried this kind of thing on before and been smacked down for it, so I'm sure he'd be glad to meet someone who he could share his interest with :nod:

BTW, I seem to find myself saying this stuff largely cos Stryke and the other one aren't here to say it. Blame them, not me ;)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I would just like to say that the prospect of any vs battle  terrifies me.

Offline diamondgeezer

Where the ****'s my avatar b10tch?

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
Originally posted by aldo_14
I would just like to say that the prospect of any vs battle  terrifies me.

that's why there's spacebattles...
which I haven't visited for months/years/decennia, even though they are remotely related to the freespace community.
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by TopAce
17.6 km long. This is a thing I am against, as I know it is 'only' 8 km long.

that's cool, since I know it is about 18 km long :D
SCREW CANON!