Author Topic: What is the pruporse of multiple weapons on the same turret?  (Read 4119 times)

What is the pruporse of multiple weapons on the same turret?
AFAIK, it do not change number of shots fired at once. Do it change ROF? Or something different?

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
It looks cool.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Originally posted by Knight Templar
It looks cool.

I mean in FRED, not on a model.

Or is 'looking cool' the only meaning of it, even in FRED?

Offline Solatar

I didn't even know it worked. Thought it just fired the first weapon.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That's the way it works with FS2 retail but the SCP may have fixed that for FS2_open :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I don't belive they did... Does anyone know for sure?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
I thought it would switch between an AAF or heavy beam depending on whether or not the ship it was attaching had a "capital" flag...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline diamondgeezer

I do believe this is another pointless little feature. The code monkies have been under varying ammounts of pressure to cool and exciting things with this for some time, but they claim to be too scared to touch the turret code

Offline TrashMan

• FLAMES OF WAR
Little...don't you relise that if the code was fixed then you would have double the firepower on some ships?

Think of all the ships that have double/tripple barreld turrets, and how more powerfull they would be if they actually fired from all barrels (*Thinks of an Orion pulverizing a Ravana:D*)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The last time somebody touched the turret code, things got so immensely screwed up that I had to yank everything out of CVS and re-submit an earlier code tree.  Not pretty or fun.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by TrashMan
Little...don't you relise that if the code was fixed then you would have double the firepower on some ships?

Think of all the ships that have double/tripple barreld turrets, and how more powerfull they would be if they actually fired from all barrels (*Thinks of an Orion pulverizing a Ravana:D*)

I don't think this'd be too much of a problem - if memory serves, the multi gun ones are primarily the little blobby plasma turretys, rather than the significant weapons in FS2 (Flak, beams)
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I always thought it'd be cool to have, if not different weapons, atleast the three firing points working. My original Kurruk had 3 barreled turrets, and even though the renders showed 3 shots, it never looked nearly as cool in game. :(
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline diamondgeezer

Well there was talk of cyclic firing a whike back, with fire points in a bank firing in a cycle... a triple barrel turret would look cool firing salvos from each barrel in turn :nod:

Offline Raptor

Raptors methods for making more realistic Multi-barrel turrets

either:

1) divide intended weapons fire wait by no. of barrels, so triple barrelled turrets fire three times as fast,

OR

2)use the 'swarm' flag in the weapons table, with a swarm number equal to the no. of barrels.

Neither method is perfect, I'll be the first to admit, but it does make having multi-part turrets more sensible.
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I like #1, because it still has the barrels alternating.  That's really the best way to go I think :nod:

Now, raptor, do you want to fix all of the tables?
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline TrashMan

• FLAMES OF WAR
Goober5000 -
I do belive you are far more experienced now, and the change of the code should not be significant (I mean - how many lines of code does one need to tell the AI to fire from a turet)

Black Wolf -
You can put whatever you want in turrets, and some campaigns have pretty powerfull bloby plasma like tuurets

Raptor -
While both methods can work they require several version of the same wapon, one version for ech turret type (one-barreld, two-barreld, etc...), and I would like to see such turrets fire in salvos (all barrels at once)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries

Think of a Phobos smacking around a Kismat in INF. Quadruple Cruiser Torpedoes...;7
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Goober5000 -
I do belive you are far more experienced now, and the change of the code should not be significant (I mean - how many lines of code does one need to tell the AI to fire from a turet)

Read my post again.  "The last time somebody"... it wasn't me who made the changes, although it was me who tried to fix them.

We had a member of the SCP try to change the turret ai last month.  He only added about 20 lines of code, but it completely messed up the balance.  I tried for several hours to fix it before throwing the code out and going back to an earlier version that worked.

Offline Falcon

Can someone tell me why the Collossus has MX-52's as a orimary turret

Offline Raptor

Originally posted by StratComm
I like #1, because it still has the barrels alternating.  That's really the best way to go I think :nod:

Now, raptor, do you want to fix all of the tables?

Well, with 'Swarm' the barrels fire one after the other, but the start point changes, which it shouldn't.
eg.
triple barrelled fires like this: 1-2-3, 2-3-1, 3-1-2, 1-2-3, etc...

And editing tables is easy! There are not that many MP turrets around.

Raptor -
While both methods can work they require several version of the same wapon, one version for ech turret type (one-barreld, two-barreld, etc...), and I would like to see such turrets fire in salvos (all barrels at once)

'Swarm' turrets fire staggered salvos, but yes, it does mean that one needs mutiple versions of the same weapon.

I did say neither system was perfect.....
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'