Author Topic: The 45 Ideas Of Kalfireth  (Read 19223 times)

I don't necessarily see the connection between "ships can fly in atmosphere" and "fighters can fly in atmosphere" :\ In fact, I'd think it'd make less sense, since all the work made to make fighters streamlined and atmospheric-capable could be used to make a better pure SPACE FIGHTER, period.
"I think they all look great. None of the appendages look like a dick."
"Your mind hurts me." - Shrike

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
Originally posted by Baron MacDoblin
In fact, I'd think it'd make less sense, since all the work made to make fighters streamlined and atmospheric-capable could be used to make a better pure SPACE FIGHTER, period.

but a little unecsessary... there is no need for streamlining in space cuz (obviosuly) there is almost no friction of any kind...
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Exactly.
"I think they all look great. None of the appendages look like a dick."
"Your mind hurts me." - Shrike

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Escape velocity and leaving a planet are wrongly connected with one another!

The reason why they speak of EV is that any object that has reached that speed has enough kinetic enegy to leave Earth orbit.

On the other hand all you need is enough energy to lift you out of orbit. It doesn't matter at what speed you achieve it.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Flaser
The reason why they speak of EV is that any object that has reached that speed has enough kinetic enegy to leave Earth orbit.

Any object?  But KE is partially dependent on mass.  How do they calculate that?  (I assume the mass cancels out somewhere in the equation?)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I think what Flaser is saying is that as long as your velocty away from the centre of gravity is higher than the gravitic pull (in Earths case about 9.8 m/s/s) then you are at escape velocity, so if you are going upwards at a constant 10m/s then you are at escape velocity, however the reason we have to go so fast is so the rocket doesn't run out of fuel ;)

Flipside :D

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Flipside, your post doesn't make any physical sense.  You can't have "velocity higher than acceleration"... they're two different concepts.  If you're moving at a constant velocity, you have zero acceleration... therefore you are not exerting any force, and Earth's gravity will pull you back down to the ground.

"Gravitic pull" = downward force = mass * acceleration

Kinetic energy = 1/2 * mass * velocity^2

You need to have enough energy to overcome the force... the problem is, I'm forgetting the equation that relates the two.  That's why I asked Flaser to elaborate. :ha:

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Escape velocity is the speed a theoretical object would need to attain from "sea level" in order to escape a planet's gravitational pull, if that object had zero friction with the atmosphere. EV is purely to measure the velocity needed to escape the gravitational pull, nothing more.

....AFAIK. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Solatar

I always thought that fighters were streamlined was that shrapnel, bullets, and space debris bounce of curved stuff better than blocks (stuff would slide off a circle, but penetrate a cube).

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
The reason I spoke of EV is that the force with which Earth pulls an object depends on its mass.
However accelration is also dependent of mass - so in the end, AT A GIVEN DISTANCE ALL OBJECT HAVE the SAME ACCLERATION.

F=f*m*M/R^2

F=forcer, f=gravitic constant, m=the mass of one of the bodies, M=the other object's mass, R=the distance of the two objects

Also any force:
F=a*m
so for the body with m-mas:

a=F/m

so

a=f*M/R^2

Notice that the bodies acceleration in the gravitic field doesn't depend on its own mass.
(however the other object for instence Earth acceleration does, however the difference is so huge between any orbiting object and a planet that the effect is negliable)
This is a constantly changing force.

The energy to escape from the gravitic wells is the ammount of energy the gravitic force would take in infinity (Why infinity? There's no such thing as limit of gravitation's reach, it is just extremely small over huge distances, the same goes for any EM field, to get the proper ammount of energy we have to calculate with this distance)
This energy can be calculated, to do so we have to integrate the work of the gravitic force.

so the potential energy is

W=f*M*m*INT(1/R^2)*dR=-(R*f*m*m)/R

Between to energy levels of the gravitic field:

The radius of the two levels (the distance from the source of the field) are Ra and Rb, where Ra is closer to the source.

W=f*M*m/Ra-f*M*m/Rb

In point A if your object has enough kinetic enegy to cover that (and air frition if youmove in air) and a little more, then you can reach point B.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
...and in English?

Speaking of which, where's CP been? He hasn't posted since.... November 27th...
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
:nervous:

November 27? You mean, 25 days into the future? Wow. ;)
I thought I saw him online a few minutes ago.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Bah. You know what I meant. :p

red outs\black outs arent possible in space as they rely on G forces and there's no gravity in space :p

oh no.
no offence, but what level of physics do you have?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Lynx

Hehe. Ever heard of inertial forces.;7
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
No gravity in space?!?!!!!!!

That's freakinn stupid!

Tell me if there's no gravity in space what keep planets on their track?

There is no weght in a sapceship orbiting something or floating in vacum, because it accelerates or moves just as you do.
The very moment any of the thrusters kicks in you'd remedy your statement, 'casue for a military grade accelration you'd feel like 4G of acceleration smashimg you like a potato under my boot's heel.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by SuperCoolAl
red outs\black outs arent possible in space as they rely on G forces and there's no gravity in space :p

And this sort of comment is why that phrase about a little knowledge being dangerous was invented.

G-forces do exist in space. Think of it this way. When you turn a corner in a car quickly you get pulled to the sides. If gravity alone causes G-force wouldn't that mean that the entire Earth is now beside you rather than underneath you?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
And I really thought we dealt with that one a long time ago.  This thread is only 4 pages long, why don't people read the whole thing when they post something like that?

"G" as a unit of force (actually a unit of acceleration as the force would depend on the mass going throught the turn) is somewhat like "atmosphere" as a unit of pressure, in that both are based on the conditions we experience on a daily basis as their point of reference.  It relates to the magnitude of acceleration due to gravity at the surface of the earth.  The strength of a force in a turn is in no way related to the gravitational field at that particular point in space, so to say that you need gravity to produce a "G" force is simply not correct.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 02:16:05 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

okay, okay im an idiot ure right etc...

i just hate sifting thru 4 pages when i get so little time on this particular computer

anyway who cares if its against the laws of physics- freespace IS against the laws of physics!