Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
are you sure thats my build?  i dont have an H:
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Uhm, phreak, getting some problems with your last build here too...

The skyboxes are working perfectly :D And when i'm running it on D3D standard everything works fine (even the gamma slider), but when i play in HT&L mode, in the tech room, only ships are displayed which dont have any turrets. Ships with turrets will not be displayed. Instead one of the turrets will be there, without any ship. In-game no ships are displayed at all. I only get to see glows, afterburners (the POF ones) and shots (some missiles too O.o). weird-o.
Well, i guess the HT&L needs some fixing.

Specs: iP4 2.4 GHz, 512 MB RAM, Radeon 9800
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
HT&L is being fixed.  i think T&L for opengl is playable with that build
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline redmenace

Originally posted by Antares
Crap. :ick  I'd forgotten that file extensions were case-sensitive.  Links are fixed now, interested parties please take another look.

Antares: contact stealth about a swooh account ;7
I think his email is  [email protected]
100mb of free webspace on swooh for free. Nothing beets free space.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Raa Tor'h
Oh no. Big problems in OpenGl... I think this picture will sum it up...

Everything was fine until I enterred the tech room, when mouse support dissapeared, and the techroom display began flickering really fast.
Edit: And the ship was rotating in all sorts of odd directions.

It appears I hit screenshot while the background was flickered out.

What appears to be the ship rotating in all directions is actually a Hall of Mirrors (HOM) effect. An HOM is when the screen doesn't refresh properly, so moving objects seem to be leaving a "trail" of previous frames. I've never seen an HOM in FreeSpace before. Maybe it has to do with your graphics card.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Phreak, I get that memory error when using RandomTiger's build, posted above.  Your build gives me the screwed-up resolutions and main hall art, as seen in the screenshots I posted.  I never tried to play any actual missions in your build, since the mouse support appears to be limited.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by Woolie Wool

What appears to be the ship rotating in all directions is actually a Hall of Mirrors (HOM) effect. An HOM is when the screen doesn't refresh properly, so moving objects seem to be leaving a "trail" of previous frames. I've never seen an HOM in FreeSpace before. Maybe it has to do with your graphics card.

I doubt it's my Card, as everything worked fine before these builds. But then again, I don't know code, nor the graphics renderring system, so I may be wrong.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline RandomTiger

Phreak, I found a call in non htl code path that calls a htl function that is not set, ie NULL. This caused a mission crash that sounds similar in a fog level but not in the first level of the campaign. I will be commiting the fix as soon as my crappy connection lets me.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2003, 01:02:45 pm by 848 »

Offline Fry_Day

Originally posted by Lightspeed

The skyboxes are working perfectly :D And when i'm running it on D3D standard everything works fine (even the gamma slider), but when i play in HT&L mode, in the tech room, only ships are displayed which dont have any turrets. Ships with turrets will not be displayed. Instead one of the turrets will be there, without any ship. In-game no ships are displayed at all. I only get to see glows, afterburners (the POF ones) and shots (some missiles too O.o). weird-o.

Fixed that one. At least I think I did :wtf:

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by redmenace
100mb of free webspace on swooh for free. Nothing beets free space.

You mean, "Nothing beats FreeSpace" don't you? :lol:

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline redmenace

Originally posted by Trivial Psychic

You mean, "Nothing beats FreeSpace" don't you? :lol:

Later!

I had this gut renching feeling someone was going to say that. Leave it to Trivial Psychic to do it. However, I think newbies should be made aware of the offer of the free web space on swooh.com. most of them are not aware of it.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Lightspeed

i found out why that bug appears.
If youre using a skybox texture, it will be rendered on top of everything, thats why it 'hides' ships whereas glows, shots, and explosions are still displayed. If youre not using a skybox  texture youll be able to see the ships. :)

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
D3D code was screwed up in the build for HT&L it works fine otherwise.. why don't you try OpenGL. im curious how it works on a 9800. (i have a 9000)
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by PhReAk
D3D code was screwed up in the build for HT&L it works fine otherwise.. why don't you try OpenGL. im curious how it works on a 9800. (i have a 9000)

tried it. crashed.

Offline RandomTiger

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
been using that one.

OpenGL still crashes (either in the main screen, the tech room, or whenever i want to load a mission, in briefing, or just before game starts (never actually got into a game)):

FS2_OPEN_TEST verursachte einen Fehler durch eine ungültige Seite
in Modul FS2_OPEN_TEST.EXE bei 0177:005b73c3.
Register:
EAX=0ff408b8 CS=0177 EIP=005b73c3 EFLGS=00010203
EBX=1003fd9c SS=017f ESP=0ff3fd1c EBP=0ff4086c
ECX=0ff40898 DS=017f ESI=00000000 FS=213f
EDX=bff76855 ES=017f EDI=0065a720 GS=0000
Bytes bei CS:EIP:
53 56 57 89 65 e8 33 c0 a0 38 9b 89 0f 85 c0 74
Stapelwerte:

At least some error message now, but yeah, OpenGL won't work (just as multiplayer :( )

Offline RandomTiger

I updated it round about when I posted that message.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
maybe we should have some sort of error mesage function(s) for the HTL functions to be set to in non-htl mode
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
RT: Tried your updated build.

D3D still gives me the same "out of memory" crash while loading a mission.  Tried OGL.  Improved performance over last time; missions will progress past the briefings and move to the actual sortie, but gameplay freezes after about fifteen or twenty seconds, and crashes to desktop.  Noted some other odd behavior, like the previously-described "Hall of Mirrors" effect with the cursor, and the fact that my HUD would vanish whenever I fired secondary weapons.  This was at 640x480.

I decided to try OGL in 1024x768, just to see what would happen.  That was a mistake.  Crashed again--this time while a mission was loading, like with D3D--but this was the most severe crash yet, one that had my screen continually flickering back and forth from the crashing Freespace to my desktop.  It did this several times, jumping to FS whenever I tried to close an open window, only to flicker back.  Finally, FS died a merciful death, and I was able to reboot.

Using 1024x768 gave me the same "out of memory" crash that D3D does before it magnificently exploded.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
i have some feeling the problem is this:
Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics controller

its probably not a T&L card.  unless you are running in normal mode, then something is wrong.  please go back to 3.5.5 while we're fixing stuff
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord