Author Topic: Question regarding speed measurement system  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Lynx

Question regarding speed measurement system
Just a question: Would it be possible to make the speed measurement system(and just the speed measurement system) use different , specifyable units than the standard Freespace unit(let's assume they are metres)? I always thought that ships moving at 50m/s were lame, using smaller units for speed measure would allow higher (virtual) speed values, so that we at least have the illusion of higher speeds. Mind you I'm primarely interested if it's possible at all, how hard it would be if possible and if it's possiblw without ****ing up the whole size measurement and other stuff that uses the Freespace units for something? I'm not really beging for it to be implemented, just wnat to know if it's possible. Maybe it's going to be made an optional feature if enough people like it.:)
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline J3Vr6

So you're saying that it would still move the same speed, but it will tell us that it's going 1000 m/s instead of 50?

In my opinion, slow is slow no matter what number you put in front of it.  If it still looks like a snail, still takes forever for it to get to its destination, then you can have 100000000 m/s infront of it and I'd still yawn.

Maybe I'm not understanding the use for this...
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline diamondgeezer

He's saying that part of the illusion of speed in a game is in your head - take F-Zero on the GC, it goes from 0 to 250 without any number in between :D

There's only so much this will achieve, Lynx. Cruising next to a cap ship will give your whole game away :nod:

Offline Lynx

Well, it worked in WC too. Or do you think that the ships there really move at 500kps?:D  So, my sinister motives for posting this thread have been revealed.:p

I can imagine it would be useful to the people of the Apocalypse project too, since it's impossible to fight anything at 750m/s which the speed of the fighters in HW is. BTW this mod seems kind off dead. Is there still work going on?
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline diamondgeezer

I certainly hope I haven't turned anyone off regarding HW.. :drevil: