Author Topic: Omniscaper's hi-poly Galaxy model (image heavy, in-game shots)  (Read 29013 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Hi-poly Galaxy model (image heavy, in-game shots, model by Scotchy)
it looks prety good, but the necells look a bit to high, and the extruded underside bit seems a bit to deep
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Of all the Defiant models made for BC, Nine of Nine I felt was the most accurate. I put it up against some blue prints in 3dstudio when it was first released for BC, and I'd say its roughly 92 percent accurate. But then again the Defiant model changed a number of times in DS9. This model is closest to the first physical model made for her.

There are still some shading issues I need to resolve and a massive texture overhaul. The textures are 512x512 which seems big, but when there are only 3 of them for the entire model, its quite insufficient. I'm working on some higher res versions of those 3 files because I don't wanna mess with it's existing UV map arrangement. I figured I should go as high as 2048x2048 in order to get it to look pretty when you make a flyby.

Those are 9 of 9's original textures, I really think you should go with Blackrooks textures...
Creator of Science Fiction Career
Completed: 0.2%
Site: click here

I cant find!!! The link you gave me lead me to THOSE textures!!!

I hope you are not refering to P81's defiant, because I think his sucks.

Check out that link and see for yourself

What I see is the correct page...

You are seeing this: Defiant Class USS Defiant (v1.0) as the title right?

If you want I can upload it unpacked (but zipped) to my site and give you the link.

The point is, the model (through that link) is by 9of9, but the textures are way improved by BlackRook32.

And I am not referring to P81's Defiant. I was quite dissapointed with that one...

Yup.. thats the one I downloaded. From the link you gave me. As i suspected the same 6 512x512 textures.

Apparantly. But they are better than 9of9's original textures. You have to see that.

IIRC, the first defiant to be released for BC had textures that were rediculously blurry, but I can't remember whether or not it was Nine of Nine's. I remember that the shape was accurate.

The textures I used are of those in that link you gave me. I actually had them already. I still feel that they were insufficient in detail, you can fly close to ships now unlike BC and these textures were not meant for close ups unlike Scotchy's and Chronocidal Guy's work. They get kudos for making uber detail in a game where you can never trully appreciate it unlike FS2.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
the textures seem alredy good enough to me: the shots are already taken at close distance, and they don't look blurry nor pixelated, you can see this at the edges.
Therefore increasing their res will give only very limited quality gains, loosing performance.
Note I'm not talking about the quality of the textures themselves, they are good althought probably not so detailed (but in ST universe it's normal)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 05:20:43 pm by 433 »

I guess my ultimate dream of being able to peek inside the windows of a starship is a bit too much. But for now I just want to be able to make a flyby and not see texture pixels that are the same size as half my fighter. Those shots were taken zoomed out. I'm gonna start posting up some of these models either tonight or tomorrow and you'll see for youself that their scale requires much more texture detail, unless you like keeping a 3km distance from it.

I guess Scotchy's Galaxy and Chronocidal Guy's Sovreign really set the stndard for me in texture quality.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 05:31:59 pm by 1582 »

Originally posted by Omniscaper
IIRC, the first defiant to be released for BC had textures that were rediculously blurry, but I can't remember whether or not it was Nine of Nine's. I remember that the shape was accurate.

The textures I used are of those in that link you gave me. I actually had them already. I still feel that they were insufficient in detail, you can fly close to ships now unlike BC and these textures were not meant for close ups unlike Scotchy's and Chronocidal Guy's work. They get kudos for making uber detail in a game where you can never trully appreciate it unlike FS2.

I recall that ship. It was Admirals Defiant or something like that...
Man, did I hate that!
I came one day before it was taken off bcfiles in the community. The first day I was reading tutorials on adding ships. Then the next I was planning on downloading the Defiant, and, gone.

Happy holidays, pilots!!! And as for my first present, look under "The Unleashed" Christmas tree!!!

http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=115

Offline NeoHunter

• Primo Novus Venator
Wow...that's nice. Now let's see that Akira kick some butt!:p

Offline NeoHunter

• Primo Novus Venator
Very nice! Where are those quantum torpedoes? Hee;p

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
cant wait to see the Colossus getting the smackdown >:)
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline NeoHunter

• Primo Novus Venator
Originally posted by Singh
cant wait to see the Colossus getting the smackdown >:)

Yeah. Down with that stupid watergun ship...

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
ok. I intend to create a full-blown mission with all teh ships you've released Omniscaper, with briefings, de-briefings and what-not. I'm just going to rush over to my uncle's computer and do it today/tommorow and then take pics :D

Need somewhere to put 'em up tho, since my villagephotos account is full :nervous:

hOOORAH!!!   Give me a couple of hours and you'll have the Galaxy class at your disposal as well.

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
hahaha! I have reached my uncles computer, downloaded the .vps and....FINALLY installed hi-res graphics...

This is gonna be sooooo cool ;) :D