Author Topic: The Nebula Thread  (Read 24408 times)

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
exactly what nico said. Now, try to increase the size of your image in game and you'll see what I've tryed to say you for 3 or 4 posts......
Or maybe I'll do it on my own to show you some pics of what I'm saying
Also nothing strange that you don't have slowdowns. I have a crap computer, you not, but when my slowdown is 20+ times what you could have, this let me see more what cause performance hits, and the point was not the slowdown per se but the slowdown compared with a skybox using the same image.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Guys this isn't some kind of competition, just experiment with what you feel works best - and remember there's nothing wrong with more than one person knocking out backgrounds ;)

That said Lightspeed - and indeed everyone else who's done something here - very nice work. Certainly a big step up from the stock nebulas.

And this one goes out just to Lightspeed - don't kill yourself doing one thing or the other mate, do what you feel most creative with at the time - overall quality will be far greater if your heart is with the work you're doing, rather than rushing something so you can get on with the next piece. Work on what you like and take your time :)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Props to all of you making efforts at this. Love it all. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Kalfireth
Guys this isn't some kind of competition, just experiment with what you feel works best -

The best results come from competition.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by CP5670
The type 1 nebula bits do not really have discernible shapes and are more just random collections of puffs, so it is up to the mission designer to make formations out of these pieces; it is hard to tell one type 1 nebula section from another at a glance, which is both good and bad. At the same time though, it is possible to use combinations of just a few of the type 1 bitmaps to cover up large parts of the background without having things look repetitive.

That will be simulated by having lots of 'puffy whisps' along with the 'detailed' blob. Look at what Kalfireth posted. You will have 1-2 detailed spots along with a lot of small whispy stuff per background set, and you can still combine them like you want.

You wouldn't be able to paste copies of the same type 2 bitmap around the background sphere without the player noticing the repetition and having too many of the unique, hi-res type 2 bitmaps would take more work to make and might cause the memory usage to become an issue. Then there is also the issue of how the FS2 campaign will deal with any changes here; if we heavily alter the general style of the bitmaps, the background placements in the missions will all have to redone in order for it to look right, but it might be worth it in the end.

You're 100% right here. If possible, i'll leave the originals in stars.tbl while adding the new ones in. This way the old ones work while I can go through the campaign and adjust the backgrounds. As for completed MODs or so, someone could write a 'converter' that simply copies and pastes backgrounds from a random 'new' set. Else, that shouldn't be too hard to do with NotePad.

Anyway, I personally think that the best solution is some combination of both; we can have one or two of the detailed type 2s per mission surrounded by clusters of the versatile type 1s.

Yes, that's what i'm planning to do. As Kalfireth said it's necessary to have lots of small stuff along with the main one.

Regarding the stars, I think the existing ones look decent, but we need a lot more of them. Ideally, the stars slider in FRED2 should go from 0 to 20000 or so. Some variation in their colors and sizes would also be great.

yes indeed :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 08:10:14 am by 1317 »
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
and it wasn't anyway, althought I like art competiotions too, time by time.
The point was not who has the longer penis but about the best way to go. Personally after many tests I think that background bitmaps does look BETTER than skyboxes when they are..uh... say not more than 70% of your screen (at default fov), but if they are larger you start seeing fisheye effects.
On the other hand skyboxes always have some warping, they just are lower when the image is bigger.
Fisheyes effects may also be due to the insanely high FOV settings of FS2 btw
The point is that with skyboxes you have a better control of all the area, and you can make for example nebs completely surrounding you (which I'm working on...).
If he has a different opinion it's not a prob to me, and the same about stars, personally I prefer and I'd like to have control over density in specific areas, and I also think it make look better many "star objects", and surely it is more tricky using background images: in skyboxes you can make a basic starfield background coherent with the main image, so you don't see areas with stars without motion blur and areas where the all the stars have it, and with background images you also have to make the star images decreasing in density while approaching the borders.
Also I found a better way to map the skysphere than the cubic uvmap, partially using spheric uvmaps, which reduce a lot the warpings present on many older skyboxes.
As for the performance issues, I'm having again headache, because background images are a bit random on my system, sometimes they just don't work, some others yes, regardless the flags, with different performance results.

oh I found another funny thing with skyboxes:
the pahntom tie:lol:

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Yeah. I had that problem, the skybox mesh isn't large enough. :doubt:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
I think we all agree that FS2's default FOV is ugly and distorts the perspective. "-fov 0.39" is what the solution is called.

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Thats looks really nice Karma. It more closely resembles FS2's style but its a great improvemenrt upon that style. The colours go great together and the little star things just plain look cool. Eve's style and FS2's style are not necesarilly exclusive. You could have the background be something like what you have in the top-left corner.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
about the distorsion, increasing the polycount of the skybox sphere should help, too.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
No, the distortion actually comes from a crappy set FOV. The fov option is one of the most useful things the SCP has implemented, as with a bit of fov alteration you get rid of the distortion :)

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Okay... So.... I'll let images do the talk again:

You can see the full previews (7 screenshots!) on Milliways.

I have completed a full set consisting of:

- 2 Main Nebulae (1024x1024)
- 12 Whispy Additional Nebulae (512x512)

No slowdown in this mission (20 backgrounds used).

Want me to release it so you can play around with it in-game? :D

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Only a fool would say no :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline redmenace

Originally posted by Lightspeed
Okay... So.... I'll let images do the talk again:

You can see the full previews (7 screenshots!) on Milliways.

I have completed a full set consisting of:

- 2 Main Nebulae (1024x1024)
- 12 Whispy Additional Nebulae (512x512)

No slowdown in this mission (20 backgrounds used).

Want me to release it so you can play around with it in-game? :D

JUMPING JOHOSEFAT YEEEHA
The Red Nebuli really complements the lucifer.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
That did it. I'll forget that I even tried to do anything similar, everyone can see that Lightspeeds stuff is fantastic and superior in every way. I'll just stand back and drool :D

Offline redmenace

Setekh, Hightlights, Hightlights, Hightlights
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Originally posted by karajorma
Only a fool would say no :D

I'm no fool, so i say yes!!!

Offline redmenace

oh another Idea. could it be possible to have lights randomly go off behind the nebula to faintly light it up in a limited fashion but not have it affect the rest of scene or enviroment? I am not talking about using ANI.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
no.

want the test mission included?

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Yes, a release would be very cool indeed!

I'd especially like to play in FRED2 and see what overlapping does to them - if you remember the original stock nebulas got incredibly bright and ugly when they're heavily overlapped - well I'd like to see what happens with these. Keeping them one color hue is a definite improvement though.. none of this red/green crap.

Also, how many stars do you have running with those in mission? It's just I can't see any... :p