Author Topic: Audio formats  (Read 811 times)

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
What format does the HLP population prefer for encoding/listening?

I like the Ogg Vorbis format myself, I might switch to M4A or MPC though.

Discuss

EDIT: Goddamn it, I forgot to check the poll option :rolleyes: Can an admin stick in a poll with mp3, mpc, m4a, aac, ogg, lossless, wma and real audio? With check boxes.
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
MP3, you moron.

Granted, OGG is nice and all, but it just doesn't have that "I'm violating the DMCA" association.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
Prefer?? Hmmm mp3 is crap :no: still use it though. Ogg is nice, haven't listen to something in that format for a while though. Haven't touched down on encoding for a few years either :eek:.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
.ogg is a format I like a lot, second to high resolution large sized .wavs :)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
.ogg It's mp3 at smaller filesizes for free.

Plus the RIAA aren't looking for it as hard so you won't get sued :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
since I have about 0 ogg-files, and more than 2500 mp3-files (all legal, of course), take a quick guess. granted, ogg is nice, but I just don't have the time or will to convert my mp3:s to it.
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline 01010

Originally posted by kode
since I have about 0 ogg-files, and more than 2500 mp3-files (all legal, of course), take a quick guess. granted, ogg is nice, but I just don't have the time or will to convert my mp3:s to it.

Seconded.
What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet sweet music? - Refused - Liberation Frequency.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
ogg if I'm encoding these days, mp3 back in the day - or for compatability with certain... backward users.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
but mp3 is still by far the most commong :/

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
[q]but mp3 is still by far the most commong :/[/q]

And in certain states in the US right now Gay Marriages are the most common - doesn't mean everyone should do it ;) :lol:
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Ryx

• Twilight Falling
  • Away in RL land. Back later.
I encode to Quality 7-8 .mpc.  :)
Intel C2D E6850|4Gb RAM|Abit IP35 PRO|ATI X1900 XT

Offline Solatar

I have a small stash of mp3s (all legal, which is why there's only a little over 200). I do like .ogg, and .wav is good for the lossless audio quality, but my mp3 player doesn't play .ogg files.

I may consider re-ripping my CDs into .wav files for the sole purpose of listening to them on my computer though.

Offline diamondgeezer

The Vorbis fellows don't recommend converting MP3 to OGG or vice versa, and any new stuff I encode is MP3 to match my old stuff. Looks neater that way, you know?

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by an0n
MP3, you moron.

Granted, OGG is nice and all, but it just doesn't have that "I'm violating the DMCA" association.

[color=66ff00]Both, for DMCA vexing value and my player; mp3. For high quality audio I use Ogg though. :nod:

You moron.
[/color]

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I use WAV files for most of my Audio work, but if I'm setting it for download, I use .ogg, I know the codec takes a bit of work to find, but the quality is so much higher :)
MP3's are ok, I have a few myself, simply because it's easier to MP3 Albums than drag them out of the rack every time I want to listen to them.

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Originally posted by vyper
[q]but mp3 is still by far the most commong :/[/q]

And in certain states in the US right now Gay Marriages are the most common - doesn't mean everyone should do it ;) :lol:

no they're not.  

and besides, i wasn't saying they were better, i was saying most people still use them.