Author Topic: X2: The threat- Opinions  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
X2: The threat- Opinions
what'd you guys think of it..
a little too heavy on the trading emphasis i think... i'm a combat person tho..

but the graphics are good, tho..

and one other minor gripe, the lack of abundant equipment at various docks.. :doubt:
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Okay, that's it, I've really gotta get the demo now. :p
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Oh
I have X2:Threat and well it's kinda good but story. is BAAD!
Traiding works pretty good etc.

if you want test here is demo

X2:Threat
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 03:59:00 am by 153 »
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
It takes AGES to gest a decent ship... And you can't continue to follow the story untill you get a decent ship...

Waiting for a cash hack or cheat... It was far easier to make money in X-BotF and X-Tension (I had my own fleeet in X-Tension and about 20 stations)
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
The game is ASS. Pretty graphics, but the game is ass. Search for 'X2' and you'll find my opinion of the game in recent threads.

Quick summation:
All in all, given the choice between X2 and a kick in the balls, take the kick in the balls. The suffering ends sooner.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
I like it :)
I hate My signature!

Offline 01010

Originally posted by mikhael
The game is ASS. Pretty graphics, but the game is ass. Search for 'X2' and you'll find my opinion of the game in recent threads.

Quick summation:
All in all, given the choice between X2 and a kick in the balls, take the kick in the balls. The suffering ends sooner.

Unless they sprain your scrotum, burst your ballbag, sprain your sac, you see where I'm going with this right?

:)
What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet sweet music? - Refused - Liberation Frequency.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
You know what? I might STILL consider that to be preferable to having spent the $50 on X2.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
The graphics actually are crap. Look at the lower left of the screenie. you can see how they layered some flat bitmaps together - it looks more than odd. The rendering method is terrible (FOV settings, etc) - you will have horrbible distortion / warping at the view edges.

I won't even talk about the monotone, low-res, compression artifact heavy textures, the probably worst bump maps of all time, the absolutely horrible sun effects, the ugly models, the ugly low poly background planets, the really cheap effects, etc.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
The nebulas look pretty.

Uh, yeah. I need further testing - while in motion I guess you don't have time to notice any issues with the graphics.

Edit: Nice lighting...
Edit: Actually, everything graphical seems geared towards only looking good as a result of the lighting. Otherwise, it'd look average.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
well to consider if you had high poly models etc and the amount of stuff per system thats currently any PC would fall to its knees
I hate My signature!

Except our very own fs2_open handles hi-polys without too much trouble.  I mean, Lightspeed gets 200+FPS with vsync off and I get 85+ on my P3 1.33GHz and GF4ti4200

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Two different threads a week apart, this game rocks (from what I seen from the demo) I can't wait until I get it ,if this thing is moddable it's definitely worth a FS2 conversion:nod: ;7
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Originally posted by Lightspeed
The graphics actually are crap. Look at the lower left of the screenie. you can see how they layered some flat bitmaps together - it looks more than odd. The rendering method is terrible (FOV settings, etc) - you will have horrbible distortion / warping at the view edges.

I won't even talk about the monotone, low-res, compression artifact heavy textures, the probably worst bump maps of all time, the absolutely horrible sun effects, the ugly models, the ugly low poly background planets, the really cheap effects, etc.

eh, the art direction is piss poor.

My arguement was, it would be far less pain as a genuine tycoon game - really - business management and all that set to 2D.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
okay, some love it, some hate it..
i like some parts of it, but otherwise, meh..

at least in this one, bad as the storyline may be, it gives you some direction to go in.. unlike the first one.. which left you wandering for quite a while.
   //Warning\\

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
from what I see FSO looks better
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
It's got great graphics, but I hated almost every aspect of the game. The storyline was not only bad, but so was its delivery. I could probably have coped with this, except the game itself just doesn't interest me. Big universe, but I prefer a more structured kind of game. To me there doesn't seem much point to get loads of money and getting a big fleet, unless there's a purpose. In my opinion, what little purpose is given by the storyline ends extremely quickly and makes the whole experience extremely empty. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if there was a lot less menu wading.

That's just my opinion, though.

Offline YodaSean

• i am so special
    • http://www.geocities.com/radioactiveyeti
I enjoyed it.  The story sort of sucked, but I'm having a lot of fun with the open-ended part of the game.  The only problem is it takes a few hours before the gameplay really takes off, they really need to work on that.  Maybe add a few ongoing wars to make the universe more interesting.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
Originally posted by Ransom Arceihn
It's got great graphics, but I hated almost every aspect of the game. The storyline was not only bad, but so was its delivery. I could probably have coped with this, except the game itself just doesn't interest me. Big universe, but I prefer a more structured kind of game. To me there doesn't seem much point to get loads of money and getting a big fleet, unless there's a purpose. In my opinion, what little purpose is given by the storyline ends extremely quickly and makes the whole experience extremely empty. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if there was a lot less menu wading.

That's just my opinion, though.

it woulda been nice with a waypoint system.. you got lost /really/ easily
   //Warning\\