Author Topic: Fred request  (Read 3621 times)

Offline Roy fokker

• Flaming FREDder
i have a new request now has anyone or are there planns to increase the asteriod limit beyond 256 because in a mission i want it to look like your deep in an asteriod field and i want the player to get that feel, i go into notepad and increase the number of asteriods but that doesn't seem to do a thing, any ideas
Roy Fokker
Mission designer for  Inferno and Wing Commander Saga

wierd things (tm) happen when there are to much objects in the game, IIRC. too much rocks cause thoo much objects, causing lasers to go through targets without doing damage, ships being invinsible, and other oddity's.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Hmmmmmmmmmm..... A bit OT actually but TopAce said something here that made me think, most of the Fredders here are probably far far better at it than anyone at Volition ever was, after all, you've had a great deal of time to get used to it and learn subtle tricks and techniques, whereas the Volition coders were writing a game to a schedule and a budget. Just as most of the Modders here are probably able to do things with ships that [V] never thought of, even without the SCP.

No relevance, just a thought :)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Flipside
Hmmmmmmmmmm..... A bit OT actually but TopAce said something here that made me think, most of the Fredders here are probably far far better at it than anyone at Volition ever was, after all, you've had a great deal of time to get used to it and learn subtle tricks and techniques, whereas the Volition coders were writing a game to a schedule and a budget. Just as most of the Modders here are probably able to do things with ships that [V] never thought of, even without the SCP.

No relevance, just a thought :)

I'd say you're probably right about that. I've never opened any of the FS2 mulitplayer missions but after seeing cet's tutorials I'll bet that his are more complicated than the [V] ones :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Roy fokker

• Flaming FREDder
Originally posted by kasperl
wierd things (tm) happen when there are to much objects in the game, IIRC. too much rocks cause thoo much objects, causing lasers to go through targets without doing damage, ships being invinsible, and other oddity's.

ok all that stuff is starting to happen now, i reduce a few unnessacary ships and lowered the asteriod field to within th 256 linit but some of the enemy ships still sk as if there no collision, missiles hit them but lasers go through them???HELP :(
Roy Fokker

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Yes, [V]'s missions are relatively simple.  Which is actually good, as there is far less to break that way.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Originally posted by Roy fokker

ok all that stuff is starting to happen now, i reduce a few unnessacary ships and lowered the asteriod field to within th 256 linit but some of the enemy ships still sk as if there no collision, missiles hit them but lasers go through them???HELP :(

how many ships? how many of those fighters?

you can only have so many objects in at one time, lasers, missiles, rocks, debris, ships. if you go over the limit, you screw up the collision system, IIRC.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Roy fokker

• Flaming FREDder
17 fighters
1 cap
1base
12 mines
8 containers and a asteriod field
Roy Fokker

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
This is for FSO, right? Because in FS1, I had a mission, in which I was alone with an Orion in an asteroid field, and the collision problem occured. I put in a wing of Shivan bombers, and I watches how their bombs go throught the capital ship.

In fs2, I have never had this problem despite I was forced to use FS_Open.

Originally posted by Roy fokker
1 cap
1 base

I doubt the game would make difference between a base and a capital ship.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 09:23:10 am by 1079 »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.