Author Topic: the greatest country in the world..?  (Read 5398 times)

Offline magatsu1

the greatest country in the world..?
you don't need to increase taxes to invest in public services. Lower taxes incourage people to work more, which generates more growth.That's what Kennedy did.

And the best Army would be British soldiers in German uniforms with (maybe) US Kit.
US troops relay too much on tech. and not enough on basic soldiering (my army veteran work mate told me that)
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline Zarax

Originally posted by magatsu1
you don't need to increase taxes to invest in public services. Lower taxes incourage people to work more, which generates more growth.That's what Kennedy did.

Lower taxes does not encourage to work more...
You MUST work more to pay those services that were free or nearly free before.
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
Rictor: Thanks for that -  if it shows in Britain I'll definitely check it out. :)

Magatsu: not sure about tax reductions improving public services. I'd agree that British soldiers are the best trained, though. Just a shame they're so badly equipped. And with the further cuts to the defence budget, I don't see that improving any time soon. Nothing short of a full-blown, big f***ing war will get it back in proper shape. But I can't see that happening without going nuclear nowadays....
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by SadisticSid

Perhaps not, but the trains were running just as late. Travelling on trains is still at least ten times safer than travelling by road. Do not forget also that the majority of train crashes are caused by external factors or driver error.

Nope. Of the last 8 or so major train and underground  incidents only one was caused by an external factor (an idiot falling asleep at the wheel of his car and sliding onto the tracks). All the others were caused by poor maintainence.

And before you say that underground is still publicly owned remember that the underground ran safely even under the tories for many years. It was when Labour decided they were going to privatise it and split it up into 4 smaller companies that derailments started to occur.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline magatsu1

Higher taxes don't necessarily mean better services. Labour has increased spending on Hospitals by circa 8% but "productivity" only increased by approx. 2%
At least with Maggie Thatcher we had cheap poor services.

The Bristish Army's experience in Northern Ireland was really important when it came to taking (liberating, whatever) Basra.
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The Bristish Army's experience in Northern Ireland was really important when it came to taking (liberating, whatever) Basra.

It may also be the reason why there is less trouble there. Look at the recent demonstration. 13 soldiers with minor injuries yet no one fired into the crowd so there were no Iraqi injuries. The next day the Iraqis didn't even bother complaining since they knew that they couldn't get a rise out of the brits :)

Now had that been the americans I'd lay money on somone firing into the crowd, Iraqi fatalities and worse demonstrations the next day.

Offline ionia23

• "YES, I did finally see 'The Matrix' 12 years late
It's a good time for America to go isolationist.  permanently.
"Why does it want me to say my name?"

Offline Gank

Definetly.

And the best Army would be British soldiers in German uniforms with (maybe) US Kit.
US troops relay too much on tech. and not enough on basic soldiering (my army veteran work mate told me that)

You draw the right conclusion from the wrong reasoning - lower taxes make people more prosperous, encouraging them to stay in the country instead of moving to somewhere like the US where you keep more of your pay packet. And this especially applies to the rich, whose enterprise and success ultimately result in them generating more jobs for the poor, which equals growth. :)

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Raises taxes for the rich, and ban capital flight. Right now, if the government makes a policy that does not sit well with big business, they simply withdraw large amounts of capital from the economy as a threat. By holdng the government hostage, they can effectively have greater influence over policy than the people, usually with reason and science on their side. They're like the holy cow; do what you must but please don't harm to almighty corporation.

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Originally posted by an0n
they're one of those countries that's so neutral they make Switzerland look like 1940's Germany.
:wtf:

Um.... what?
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

If you banned 'capital flight' and raised taxes on the higher income brackets why would anyone set up businesses in the first place? Lose.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Since we're on taxes, let's talk about how a Flat Tax with a rate of 10% is the most fair and equitable solution possible until we figure out how to get rid of money.

Entry Level A makes $200 a week, $20 goes to the Taxman.  Multiply this by the number of Entry level people making $200 a week, let's say 10 million, that $200,000,000 for the Taxman per week.

Now lets bump it up a notch to the "rich" people that earn $100,000 a year.  That's $1923.07 per week.  At a flat tax rate of 10% that's $192.30 for the Taxman.  Multiply that by the number of people who earn $100,000 per year, lets say another 10 million(it's probably more than that but my other estimate was low also), that's $1,923,000,000 for the Taxman.

So for the first 20 million people in the workforce the goverment has gotten $2,123,000,000 for public uses.  The US work force is over 250 million strong and growing every day.   You do the math.

*edit*
Rictor you realize that it is the "Rich People" who start 99% of new business ventures.  If you raise their taxes and prevent them from putting their money away in a safe place,  what incentive do they have to start new buisnesses?  They'd be better of sitting in their houses doing nothing.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 02:57:22 pm by 607 »
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Liberator
So for the first 20 million people in the workforce the goverment has gotten $2,123,000,000 for public uses.  The US work force is over 250 million strong and growing every day.   You do the math.

I did. I found your maths hugely simplistic as a result.

Besides considering the way goverments waste money it probably cost them that much to ship toliet paper to the troops in Iraq, afghanistan and everywhere the US has naval bases.

Offline Gank

The average income in the US is $32,000. There are 135 million people employed in the US. $3,200,000,000. Employmet tax returns for 2002 (same as the other figures) amounted to $650,968,000,000. Somethings seriously wrong with somebodys figures, I took those  ones off US gov sites. Total employment tax is greater than total earned?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 07:43:24 pm by 723 »

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
You missed a 4 off the beginning, doofus.

And several 0's off the end: $4,320,000,000,000
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline KS_Al

• http://www.reznet.com/web/kerberos/
Originally posted by Knight Templar

-Specifically?

-How many more troops did the US have to mobilize than the UK?

over 150,000 American troops were mobilized including the 101th
Airborne, 3rd and 4th Infantry division, Spec ops, SEALs, Rangers, the marines!  (i also respect the royal marines)  and the Air Force.

M-16s were not made from the British it was an American design.  Humvee is a American design.  M-1 Abrams are American design.  You have to know your wepaonry before you say anything about who has who.  M-a2 Bradleys were American designs.
someone had said the US armed forces are superior becuz of British weapons....no we used our own weapons.  you used your enfield.   and steyr aug for the Australians.  Study weaponry and their origins ;)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 08:19:17 pm by 1616 »
Commander of the Kerberos Squadron
http://www.reznet.com/web/kerberos/
http://kerberossquad.4t.com/index.html
http://maui87a.4t.com/index.html
Memorial Day dedication site and personal site
Recruiting always!!

Offline Gank

Originally posted by an0n
You missed a 4 off the beginning, doofus.

And several 0's off the end: $4,320,000,000,000

You got it wrong too doofus, one 0 missing and I think I changed the 4 into the $. Anyways who cares.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
*pokes head into thread*

Australia is the greatest country in the world. :D

*disappears*
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Hmm, for the record, the next generation of US rifle is based on the HK G36 design, German of course. Both the OICW and the XM9 (I think), the rifle that is being put into service to fill the map between now and when the OICW goes into service.

And naturally, Yugoslavia is the best country in the world. I am too young to remember the old 6-province one, so its just basically Serbia and Montenegro :D:D

And Croatia has some awesome beaches. My aunt has a beach-house about 45 minutes outside of Split, I went there once when I was younger. The house is literally 20 steps from the sea, and the sea itself is crystal clear and warm.

edit: way to derail my thread..uhh..whoever. I'm not going to go back and check who it was, but you know who you are. Yeah you. Thats right, you.