Author Topic: Next-Gen Graphics Cards  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Grey Wolf

Next-Gen Graphics Cards
Appears that the NV40 may well be an actual increase over the current generation (both NV35 and R360). The Inquirer reported that nVidia released that they got about 12500 in 3DMark03, beating the current record of 10008, which was achieved with rather extreme cooling on a P4 using a 9800XT.  Of course, we have no clue what CPU was used, what memory, or how far overclocked the GPU was, but it still seems rather impressive.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

If they can make a better card (performance, featureset, stability)than ATI for the same cash then I'll buy nVidia. Sod brand loyalty, I will want what's best.

But of course, I am quite content to wait until both manufacturers have their new models out until I make any decisions. Hopefully this card war will drive down prices for us salivating consumers.

Offline Grey Wolf

If nothing else, last-gen (9800) should drop significantly.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Luckily for us, ATi will be releasing at the same time nVidia does.  So by the end of the month, we'll know which cards are better.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
nVidia probably LN2 cooled a P4 clocked to 4Ghz and water cooled their GPU overclocked extremely

would make a great publicity stunt
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Grey Wolf

You realize the cooling on the 10k score with the 9800XT was just what you described? Not many ways to get a P4 clocked to 4.5GHz at -85C, short of liquid nitrogen or rather incredibly phase-change cooling.

*sigh

Can you keep your fanboyism out of it?

Both ATi and nVidia are capable of releasing great video cards as well as relatively poor ones.

Both have had driver sets that were excellent and both have had done some stupid cheats with their drivers.

Whoever has the better next generation card will have the better next generation card.  Video card politics should be left out of this.

P.S. ATi's 9800Pro (overclocked on an overclocked system) was the first to break the 10k mark for 3dMark2003.

Offline Grey Wolf

I rather don't care whose card is in my computer. The only computer company I'm really a fanboy of is AMD. The main relevance of this to me is that I'll probably end up with the second rev. of one of the new cards when I build my computer next summer, considering the large amount of time between entirely new GPUs.

EDIT: On a side note, they're apparently dropping the concept of having a number between "GeForce" and the model number. The NV40 will be the GeForce 6800 and GeForce 6800 Ultra.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 05:35:34 pm by 102 »

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
's interesting.  Betcha it'll cost a int, of course. (er, when released.  obviously).

Offline Grey Wolf

Probably. I'm betting 300-400 USD for the 6800, and 400-500 for the 6800 Ultra.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Remind me again why I should shell out like £300 for a new gfx card when they'll announce a similar 'leap' forward a year from now that'll make everything else obsolete?

This is what I ****ing hate about the computer industry. They'll whore out a million different products, then the second you shell out for some top of the range product, there'll be some new breakthrough that'll rape whatever you bought and kill the price by 90%.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Grey Wolf

Because you want a computer now? Realistically, it's always better to go for the upper end of the last-gen or the performance mainstream versions of the current-gen. Far cheaper, and last about as long as the  bleeding edge designs.

Offline Dark_4ce

• GTVA comedy relief
I hear ya. The reason why I wait 2-3 years between each major leap in gaming technology "that will change the face of gaming FOREVER!" I mean hell. The GF3 was supposed to be the übercard to run doom3. The 9800 was supposed to be the übercard to run Half Life2. Now neither will be uber. Meh.
I have returned... Again...

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
I wasn't saying that record was set without the cooling i mentioned - i was saying this new record was set in the same manner

In other words - you're not going to get that performance out of ANY video card in your home computer

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
True enough, I suppose.

My TNT2 did me till about a month before Halo came out on the PC.

Still, when you're poor, shelling out hundreds of dollars for new components, even if it's only on a 2-year cycle, is a ****ing pain in the ass.

*goes to install some ****ty auction software on some choice domains so he can hock 'em on eBay for $600 a pop*
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Grey Wolf

Of course not. But assuming the setups were similar and that they didn't cheat with drivers (it's always a possibility), that means 2 things:
1. The card has about a 25% performance increase over the current generation.
2. nVidia is releasing their first competent design since GF4.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Well, we shall see, won;t we :)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
I put my money on them cheating

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Kaz, you are so cynical.

I for one, am looking forward to it, I will still buy a 5700 or something similar when I finally scrape enough moolah together.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
Liberator: cynicism is the opposite of guillability