Author Topic: warp effects  (Read 2063 times)

not sure if this has been covered, but have the 2d warp effects ever been tampered with, eg: new colours/patterns, stuff like that?
The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao. The name that can be named is not the eternal Name."
-Lao-Tzu

eh?

there was a huge thread about jump stuff here.

also, there is no more 2d effect, the tube is 3d and the hole for in/out is 3d now too.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
I think he meant the textures or whatever for the jump in/out sequence. If its a 3D model, presumably it would be an animated texture...

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
It is the original animated texture.

The Subspace Vortex has always been an ANI mapped onto a stationary POF.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
i doubt anyone can do better than the original one, but you can go ahead and try.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Needless effort. Instead, enable the player to see as he enters the warp rift by disabling the auto-switching to external view. It would be a cool experience.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
although with the Star-Trek to Freespace 2 project, trying to make multiple warp in/out effects for a situation would be interesting...
also, multiple colors for the current subspace wormhole.. just for ****s and giggles. ;)
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
I would like to be able to enter the subspace tunnel at the end of the mission :D

It would make for soooo cool red alert mission transistions / in mission jumps. You'd simply change to a fixed camera point after the ship has flown through the vortex, see it fly by in the FS2 subspace tunnel, and then load the next mission file where you'd see it leave from a subspace vortex. After it has completely left it dumps you back to cockpit view and gives you control of your ship. :D
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

that might be achieved by editing the mission beginning, and forcing the camera on leave, removing the redalert message/brief-debrief, while using an anim as the loading screen. the last part might be the hardest, someone should try it.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline JarC

Originally posted by Turnsky
also, multiple colors for the current subspace wormhole.. just for ****s and giggles. ;)
Your real name isn't by any chance Rip van Winkle is it ? :lol:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,22849.0.html
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline JarC

Originally posted by Lightspeed
You'd simply change to a fixed camera point after the ship has flown through the vortex, see it fly by in the FS2 subspace tunnel, and then load the next mission file where you'd see it leave from a subspace vortex.
can you say 'cutscene' ?
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Well, I just think the current one is a bit low-res. Like the subspace tunnel textures, it could use and overhaul if anyone with the skills is up for it. I mean, it is a pretty big part of the game, seeing as how you encounter in atleast a dozen times in every single mission.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by Lightspeed
I would like to be able to enter the subspace tunnel at the end of the mission :D

It would make for soooo cool red alert mission transistions / in mission jumps. You'd simply change to a fixed camera point after the ship has flown through the vortex, see it fly by in the FS2 subspace tunnel, and then load the next mission file where you'd see it leave from a subspace vortex. After it has completely left it dumps you back to cockpit view and gives you control of your ship. :D

Personally, I would be satisfied with a simple 'see how you enter the vortex from your POV'. But I think it absolutely doesn't interest the SCP team.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I think the problem there is that if you saw the Warp pof from the pilots point of view, you probs wouldn't like it very much :(

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
What makes you think? Have you seen in from your POV?

The way Lightspeed puts this, it almost sounds just like Starlancer's warp effect...I remember a mission in Starlancer where a wormhole pops out of nowhere and you get sucked in, MAN was that awesome. :)