Author Topic: BitTorrent?  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
I have DC++, but never use it for stuff that I can find on suprnova or elsewhere. I have gotten quite a few things from DC++, most notable the WoW Alpha (which took like 4 days to download and lasted as long on my computer before it got deleted) :D:D

I am currently trying my hand at EMule, becuase there are some documentaries I'de like to download from this one place, but  I'm a complete newb at it. If someone has a basic EMule FAQ or How-To guide, I'de appreciate a link.

I tried opening the ports on my router, but apparently if you choose to open ports, you must specifcy ALL ports that need to be opened (all the normal ones) in addition to the new ones. So, if you want to add any new ports to open, you have to also have a list of all the ones that are open by defualt. Otherwise, Internet no worky. This makes no sense to me. Why can't it just be assumed I want all the standard ports open, and then just specify the extra ones I need. By any chance, does anyone here have an Asante router?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 02:09:56 pm by 644 »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Rictor
I am currently trying my hand at EMule, becuase there are some documentaries I'de like to download from this one place, but  I'm a complete newb at it. If someone has a basic EMule FAQ or How-To guide, I'de appreciate a link.

http://www.slyck.com/edonkey2k.php?page=3
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Bittorrent = ultimate dl program idea. Not much load on servers, nice dl speed (Hello, 300 k/s...what are you doing tonight?), plenty of info available if you use Azureus, and the best implementation of communism yet. Crap, did I say that out loud? :nervous:
-C

Offline Rictor

300k/s? Where are you downloading from, and for that matter whats your connection? The only time I ever get 100k/s+ speeds if when I downloading a really popular demo from Filerush, and even then only rarely. I usually average 5-20k/s on normal downloads...

thanks for the link kara, much appreciated.

Offline WMCoolmon

It was a while back, so I'm not sure...I usually get less than that.
-C

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
I use Shad0w's Exp Build, never got the Azureus work well with XP. Yes, I am a lazy bastard, and often get quite pissed off when programs require several dozen other downloads just to install properly.

BTW, I can now hear a Little Crake into my apartment, whoa. :cool:
lol wtf

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
I downloaded Linspire at about 350 using BT...

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
and the best implementation of communism yet...

[cheka]
*ticks off Coolmon on the list for loyal-to-the-state*
[/cheka]
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
I love BitTorrent, especially using Azureus. If you have Azureus (and I think a few others now) you can 'super seed' your torrents, meaning that you preferentially allow connections from the fastest clients, and spreading the parts among those fast clients. That serves double duty: you get the torrent out faster overall and your number of sources for each individual chunk goes up faster.

For the record, its not a 'tit for tat' system. You can turn off file uploads entirely and just leech and it doesn't change your ability to download--unless the tracker admin happens to notice your ratio is low and bans you. Edonkey, I believe, is the one that throttles you to a slow speed at the beginning of a download and speeds up as you share more of the file back out. I dislike forced egalatarianism, myself. I consider it rather rank hypocrisy.

Most of Kaz's complaints are directly related, I think to useing the 'reference' client, not a fully featured client.

My pipe is ~3000/64, according to the speed tests (go cable :/). I have no problems pulling anywhere from 25k/s to 150k/s on any single download, and with a Azureus, I usually have a load around 250 down, 25 up (anything over 25 seems to choke web browsing).
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well I'm getting 24 and 4 getting the latest P&T Bull**** currently, I guess I should try these other clients.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline WMCoolmon

Hmm, well, I'm getting about 340 k/s downloading from the Animatrix site with Firefox...maybe my connection is just really, really good. :drevil:

"Neo...use the Source, Neo"
-C

Offline Thorn

Originally posted by mikhael
For the record, its not a 'tit for tat' system. You can turn off file uploads entirely and just leech and it doesn't change your ability to download--unless the tracker admin happens to notice your ratio is low and bans you. Edonkey, I believe, is the one that throttles you to a slow speed at the beginning of a download and speeds up as you share more of the file back out. I dislike forced egalatarianism, myself. I consider it rather rank hypocrisy.

I've been trying out that Direct Connect thing too... same deal. A lot of channels will kick you if you arent sharing anything. One hub I tried to join wont let you in if your share is under 20 gigs. ****ing bull****. I dont have 20 gigs of stuff to share.

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
[color=66ff00]Indeed Thorn, some channels do have a remarkably unrealistic share requirement.

I use Shad0w's BT client for great justice as they say. ;) Works great for me and I often have to make sure it's not maxing my DL rate so that I can surf and the like.

Good to know that so many here at HLP are using P2P software totally legally.
Ahem. :lol:
[/color]

and oddly enough, setting up a DC Hub didn't work.....
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you could just make a few 5 gig files of junk
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
[color=66ff00]Yeah kas, forgot about that little idea. All the phat pipe ppl were the ones who thought it wasn't a great idea ironically.

Anywho, there's always IRC and DCC. :)
[/color]

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
just did some math, with a 8 bit bmp you'd need about 32768x32768 to get a 1 gig file
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Thorn

Originally posted by Bobboau
you could just make a few 5 gig files of junk

I shared my 2 gig page file....

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I wonder if that's such a good idea
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Rictor

I shared my installed Games folder, my Program Files folder. Also, by downloaded files folder, basically anything to up my share size. Just about the only useful thing I have shared is like 7 gigs of music.