Author Topic: Manticore and Dragon: The first encounter...  (Read 6957 times)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Manticore and Dragon: The first encounter...
Yeah, that was directed at Swamp_thing...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

It seems that the overall opinion is that things are faster in FS2, thus making the FS1 Dragon more slow and cumbersome, wich means "easier" to track, and eventually kill.
Don´t get me wrong, i have indeed played the official FS1 before. I never finished it, and i can´t remember wether i found Dragons or not, back then. My PC was a piece of defecation then, and the graphics on it sucked big time, so i didn´t get too much excited about playing it to the end. Now the port, that is worth playing!!
As for the engine acting diferently, i really don´t know. It has been too long a time for me to compare between them both.

What i have figured while playing is that the player ships are way too ****ty in comparison to FS2. I spend most of the time waiting for my guns to recharge, and all the ships feel like you´re flying a cap ship, instead of a fighter. They are so slow turning, that it´s almost pathetic...

A plausible explanation to why people think the Dragon was harder to kill in FS1, could be because people were still "learning" the ropes of the game, while in FS2 people are already experienced pilots making it seem easier, when infact it´s just you that changed, and not the game.
And, of course, this all depends on each individual´s skills at handling the game, isn´t it?
:nod:
No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by TopAce
It's strange. I was chasing Arjuna 1 for at least five minutes until I managed to disable it in the port. I can disable it in 30 seconds in FS1.

I think its because the original FS1 tables had a second entry for the Dragon, which is listed as a "weakened" version, with lower specs.  This goes along with the mission briefing, which states that said Dragon is in a weakened state.  The Port doesn't include a weakened version, and so you're going up against a full-blown Dragon.  If you ask me, we need a cap-speed sexp, which would opperate kinda like the cap-waypoint-speed, but would be intended for situations where waypoints aren't involved and you just want a ship to maneuver more slowly than its table entry would define.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yeah, it's hard to find the right balance on certain Port missions.  I try to play it every so often so I can keep an eye out for that.

Incidentally, cap-waypoint-speed works for all situations, not just waypoints.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Originally posted by Swamp_Thing
A plausible explanation to why people think the Dragon was harder to kill in FS1, could be because people were still "learning" the ropes of the game, while in FS2 people are already experienced pilots making it seem easier, when infact it´s just you that changed, and not the game.
And, of course, this all depends on each individual´s skills at handling the game, isn´t it?
:nod:

I have to disagree. Everyone here will tell you that I play FS1 more then FS2, as Goober and I are the only people crazy enough to still have hopes of moding it. But I still find the dragon more difficult to kill in FS1 then FS2. You're trying to compare Red apples to Green apples. They are basially the same, but a slight difference makes them completely different.
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
IIRC the AI was improoved in FS2 - the table stats are the same for both FS1 and FS2 ships - I mean the Port vs. the orig. FS1.

So in theory the ships should be harder to kill.

Now, I guess this is the moment when a coder should step in and try to shed some light on what hardcoded changes they ( = the SCP team) seem to find or think were done.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline magatsu1

do any of you guys bother to stick around after the Trinity gets nailed ? (Mystery of the Trinity/FS2)

I've always thought that would be a good test, though I usually hack the mission and use a more intersting fighter. (Herc2 with Subach and P-R gets tiresome after a while)
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
I have, but its usually not worth it with only tempests and rockeyes... If it would let you take aspect, i'd try longer... I've changed them with cheats right at the beginning, and then tried the mission, and it was a lot easier... I'd assume that if you change friendly ships to hornets and harpoos, you could protect the trinity for some time...

AHTW

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Hippo
I have, but its usually not worth it with only tempests and rockeyes... If it would let you take aspect, i'd try longer... I've changed them with cheats right at the beginning, and then tried the mission, and it was a lot easier... I'd assume that if you change friendly ships to hornets and harpoos, you could protect the trinity for some time...

Assuming you take out the scripted event that blows up the trinity soon after the dragons appear :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
O.o
:wtf:
Uh... no? I've never had that happen... I've always had it die from shivan fire, both basalisks and dragons... Am i mising something?

AHTW

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Open it up in FRED. You might see why you couldn't ever save the Trinity.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Yeah, it usually goes from 33% to about 0 instantly. Much like the galatea...

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Originally posted by Setekh
That's the only way I took down Dragons - one Phoenix V, impeccable timing, and they're no problem. On Insane, there's no other way to take them down - they just evade too much to take down with primaries. :shaking: Had to use my Phoenix Vs during A Failure To Communicate.

What about Flail cannons?
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
The galatae was from the super lasers, i'm positive of that... But i've never seen the trinitys hull drop excessivly fast... nor have i seen a Self-destruct in F4... *goes off to investigate*

AHTW

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Originally posted by Mr. Vega

What about Flail cannons?

Not enough hull damage... Were they even available for that mssion? They might be... I don't remember what CB it was from, since the most previous one was on Last Hope...

AHTW

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I said Galatea, but for some odd reason, i really meant the Orff... How the hell did I confuse those?

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Orff? The orff never gets destroyed... (Did it in ST? /it was in the last mission, but i hated ST so much i forget about it...)

AHTW

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
...The orff didn't get killed by the Shivans?

My god I need to play FS1 again...  The mission wher the shivans take out the taurus and then jump by the terran vessel. Which ship was that?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The GTSC Plato.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
The Plato is from the mission "Out of the Dark, Into the Night."  It's carrying the Avenger cannon prototypes back to Sol for mass production.  In that mission, the Shivans do take out the Taurus and then the Plato.  However, the Plato's crew escapes in an escape pod with the prototypes.

The Orff was in two missions in FS1.  In the first mission of FS1, "Eve of Destruction," you have to protect it from Vasudan attacks.  Two missions later, in "Small Deadly Space," it jumps in to protect a captured Vasudan cargo depot.  The Orff is also in the final mission of Silent Threat, but it's destroyed fairly quickly by GTI forces (unless you use cheats to quickly kill the Hades, of course :p).

I hope my diversion was informative :p.