Author Topic: Anaolog -> Digital convertor for monitors?  (Read 1185 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Anaolog -> Digital convertor for monitors?
Is it possible to get a 'mate' to allow a normal 21(?) pin analog monitor to connect to a digital video port?  I've been working with a dual-screen setup with a second monitor plugged into the back of my dev laptop, and I kind of like it, so i want to setup a similar arangement on my nomral PC.  

Only problem is that my video card only has a standard monitor port (in use), a digital video in port, and that my remaining unused_and_slightly_iffy spare monitor is an old analog one too.....

They exist, but it depends on if your card as a full or half DVI plug. Most DVI plugs have a complete analog canal next to the normal DV one, so those will suffice with a simple plug (DVI--D-sub) converter. Otherwise you'll need to do a DVI-->Analog convertion on the image, and I'm not so sure if that is possible off the card.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I_have_no_idea :)

But there is an output for TV (coax)...I need to find the specs booklet.

coax TV output?

Are you sure it's not SVid (black, kinda like PS/2) or Composite (yellow, like a mini jack or those red/white audio thingymagics)? Or a TV in for that matter?

What card is it?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by kasperl
coax TV output?

Are you sure it's not SVid (black, kinda like PS/2) or Composite (yellow, like a mini jack or those red/white audio thingymagics)? Or a TV in for that matter?

What card is it?

Sorry, it's a video-out port which came with a coax convertor... bit like a PS2 port, don;t know the exact name for it.  Never got the damn thing to work with my telly, though.

Gainward GFx5600 (Ultra 760).  |nalog, video out & DVI ports.  The manual is non-model-specific, so it's a pain in the arse to read.  Even accounting for the loverly big gobs of japlish.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 08:09:49 am by 181 »

I'll try to figure out something by  the ways of Google.

And the port you described is S-Video, don't ask me what the S stands for though. Pretty standard for TV-outs, though they're most often connected via a SCART interface (thick round cable, super large rectangular-with-notch plug, used for VCR's and the like).

This the card?
http://www.nordichardware.com/reviews/graphiccard/2003/Gainward_FX5600Ultra/index.php?ez=2&PHPSESSID=f265b4a768283230dcca2f87c2090373

Edit: upon further reading, that thing is supplied with a DVI-->D-sub dongle. Where'd you buy this one?

edit2: upon some more googling, yer looking at about 14 euro's at some dutch ebay variant, or 25 euro's if you actually wan't to get the plug and not a rock in shock-proof packaging.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2004, 08:35:12 am by 936 »

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
This the card?
http://www.nordichardware.com/reviews/graphiccard/2003/Gainward_FX5600Ultra/index.php?ez=2&PHPSESSID=f265b4a768283230dcca2f87c2090373

Edit: upon further reading, that thing is supplied with a DVI-->D-sub dongle. Where'd you buy this one?

Mine's a wee bit different - non VIVO, and it's not the 'golden sample' version (which is basically a bit overclockable).  IIRC that one will be more or less the same card - bar VIVO - but tested to be overclockable to a certain level without breaking the warranty.

The card came from dabs.com, but they don't sell it any more (replaced by a cheaper one with twice the memory - arse!).

Think it's this one http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=19089009&Category_Code=Refurb_2

Not that important, though.  Still need to 'recover' a second monitor.....

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
And the port you described is S-Video, don't ask me what the S stands for though. Pretty standard for TV-outs, though they're most often connected via a SCART interface (thick round cable, super large rectangular-with-notch plug, used for VCR's and the like).

S-Video = SVHS = Super VHS (higher resolution video standard)

@aldo: You're looking for something like this
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Col. Fishguts

S-Video = SVHS = Super VHS (higher resolution video standard)

@aldo: You're looking for something like this

Think so, yep :) :nod:

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
I've got one of those if you want it. It's not a cable one, mind, so you'd have to pull your case another couple of inches away from the wall, and it has black permanent marker on it...

Come to think of it, I'm not sure where it is.

Nevermind.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I'm using mine that came with my card, but it's Digital -> Analoh, because I don't have the digital monitors.  Works just fine. After you get used to having 2 monitors.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
[color=66ff00]Take a look here Aldo, about halfway down the page, note that DVI analogue has 4 pins, two either side of the blade connector.
[/color]

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
What you want is one of these.
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan