Author Topic: Dear god how good this is (FS1 Music)  (Read 6776 times)

Offline JR2000Z

Dear god how good this is (FS1 Music)
I have the whole fs2 sountrack stored in my ipod.

I'm such a dork. ;)

I'll do FS1's music at a later time.
I finally destoryed the Shivan armada and all I got was this lousy T shirt.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
FS1 music does rock.  It just has so much more atmosphere.  The briefings seem more urgent, everything just seems so much darker.  Though Flipside, much of the FS1 battle music has the operatic voice in it too.  It just isn't as obvious.

Oh, and don't neglect Silent Threat's track.  That expansion is overall fairly worthless, yes, but the extra music is pretty cool.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 06:35:28 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Some of the Red Faction (1) music on the V webpage is actually quite good, too.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
I think the best music from either game was FS2, Revelation.  Flying through a kickass mission with a pulse-pounding, almost techno beat is truly awesome :D.  That's not to say I don't like the rest of the music, though.  I attempted to make a FS1 CD directly from the WAVs, but the quality was so crappy that I must have done something wrong; likewise with FS2 :p.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Still don't think anything beats Brief4 from FS2.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I dunno, I like FS1's music, but I wouldn't call it better. Just feels different. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Hunter

• Ross128, Freespace 2 Sector, Freespace Files
    • Sectorgame
the problem is with that Opera voice is it sounds like it's been ripped out of a £12.99 samples pack
That's because it has, but it's about $100, though, not £12.99. Royalty free, at that, aswell.
FreeSpace Files | Overload | Sectorgame Forums - For those times when HLP is down (or because you want to keep me company)

Volition BB Survivor - Nov 1999 to April 2002 / Yes I know *some* folks in Hollywood, and no I can't get you on TV.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Someone should remix FS1-9, Monolith -- that was my favorite.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
brief04 was badass.  but all FS1 tracks were amazing, i must agree :nod:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Another great track was FS2_Cinema, which contained clips from some of the cutscenes.  It gave a really dramatic, tense feeling to the briefings it was used in.  I actually didn't know about the Silent Threat set of tracks until a few weeks ago, seeing as how they were never used in-mission; those things are awesome :).

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
FS2_Cinema is just used in the credits as far as I know.  But it is quite good.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It was used in Slaying Ravana and at least one other mission.

I agree that a lot of the music rocks, but I think another important aspect of the music rocking is putting it together with the right mission. The slower, less discussed music is important for the hum-drum missions while in good campaigns, the climatic missions are really enhanced by the appropriate music.

Hate the Traitor for example, used the perfect music for the mission. But at the same time, that music is not very good for most missions, the ambiance/normal track specifically. The music helps to set the pace of any campaign.

My personal favourites from FS2 are numbers + leviticus, I also like the cinema track but it can only be used sparringly to have its full effect. I'm not sure why people ragg on the vocals, I love the vocals in FS2.

FS1 music seems to have more urgency, while FS2 seems to go for the 'this campaign is really epic and galactically important' slant.

EDIT - One problem with FS2 music was brought up by someone at an earlier time, the music has very little in the way of allied/enemy arrival cues. I believe that each FS1 track had its own (and multiple) enemy, allied arrivals + death tracks and perhaps even nrml tracks (whereas some FS2 music shares the same normal-track (normal/ambience as in the music played when there are no enemies around)).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 03:48:10 pm by 1332 »

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by Goober5000
It was used in Slaying Ravana and at least one other mission.

In Exodus.
It is a sinister sounding track, I deem it shouldn't be in the Slaying Ravana mission as there is nothing special in that mission. I guess it will only be me.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
Endgame from FS2 owns all.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
So long as we're on the topic, is there anywhere to download the FS or FS2 briefing tracks?  The only chunk of the soundtrack I've seen largely available anywhere are the FS2 ambient "in-mission" tracks, and the ending cutscene tracks.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
If you have the VP Viewer, you can simply extract the WAV files of all the music from the FS1/2 VP data files.  This is perhaps the coolest tool for Freespace; it lets you extract any file used by FS1/2, including tables, textures, models, sounds, mission files, and animations :).

Offline Axel Wers

• I remember Descent: FreeSpace as a new game.
    • FreeSpace
I convert FS1 and FS2 music to mp3 format (bitrate 256 kbps, only one file is 128 kbps).

Install Win MX p2p software, run it, and search "FreeSpace". (my username in WinMX is brethitman423).

My FS1 favorite - Haunted
My FS2 favorite - Joshua
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 03:04:11 pm by 1067 »

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
FS1 title was a perfect introduction to the game and series. A great track.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Nothing beats btl A01
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key