Author Topic: Baby, It really is a wild world  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Baby, It really is a wild world
Originally posted by karajorma

Cause he might stage a concert?

Even if he is raising money for terrorists I somehow doubt that Cat Stevens is a big enough threat to the US that there was any need to do that. Just arrest and deport him when the plane gets to Washington.

hey, don't ask me man...  you just said you wondered why they didn't let him get to washington, and i just said the most reasonable thing that came to my mind:  because it's a big city :p

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I know why they choose to land in Bangor rather than Washington as you say but it's only sensible if they believed that Cat Stevens was going to hijack the plane.

Quite frankly that's absolute nonsense isn't it?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Does anybody have details of how he got on the watch list? I mean, real details, not a misc. "he was fundraising" thingie.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by ngtm1r
Does anybody have details of how he got on the watch list? I mean, real details, not a misc. "he was fundraising" thingie.

He changed his name to 'Islam'

:p

Cat Stevens 'shock' at US refusal (22/9/03)
Israel bans former pop star(13/7/00)

EDIT; IIRC Bangor is an Air Force Base.  I certainly remember rows of b-52s sitting by the runway from refuelling stops there when going to Florida.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 05:37:09 am by 181 »

Offline Clave

• Myrmidon
    Get Firefox!
    • Home of the Random Graphic
And of course Pennywise is there to deal with troublemakers....

« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 07:58:02 am by 2221 »
altgame - a site about something: http://www.altgame.net/
Mr Sparkle!  I disrespect dirt!  Join me or die!  Could you do any less?

Offline Vaelinx

I tell you, they Department of Homeland Security needs to get it's act together.  It's not like anyone will ever be able to take another American plane.  At least not in the near future.  Any passenger of able body would fight, because we've learned that overcoming the hijackers is the way to survive.  Back in the '80's when it was people interested in money or political recognition/assylum hijacking planes, they weren't interested in hurting the passengers really.  But now we know we can't trust our captors anymore... :(  Goodbye Stockholm Syndrome...

But anyway, they really need to fix their methods for airline security...  They've been found to be grossly ineffective.
If there was one thing all people took for granted, was conviction that if you feed honest figures into a computer, honest figures come out. Never doubted it myself until I met a computer with sense of humor.

Manuel O'Kelly Davis in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Apparently the reason Cat Stevens gave up his career as a singer was because radical Muslims convinced him that it was against the Quoran to do so.....30 years ago. He also allegedly gave money to Hamas.

Cat Stevens + 'Radical' Muslims (even 30 years ago) = FBI Wet Dream.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That would be a bit odd since he has repeatedly denounced terrorism.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline ionia23

• "YES, I did finally see 'The Matrix' 12 years late
Unfortunately, in the 1980's, he went on public record that he supported the death warrant issued against Salman Rushdie for "The Satanic Verses".  Not a good way to win friends and influence people, but certainly no reason to put him on a watch list.
"Why does it want me to say my name?"

Offline 01010

Maybe that'll teach Salman Rushdie to write a book worth reading.
What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet sweet music? - Refused - Liberation Frequency.

Offline Grey Wolf

And the funniest things about this thread: "Cat's in the Cradle" was written and sung by Harry Chapin, not Cat Stevens.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I know, but it was better than my alternate Lyrics for 'Morning has Broken' trust me ;)