Author Topic: Good Sci Fi Reads?  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I highly doubt there's anyone here who doesn't like at least some sci-fi other than FS2's. I'm trying to write some of my own (I currently have the universe basically done, I'm just doing all the various histories and explainations of technologies and tedious little details like that), but I've realized that my Sci-Fi reading isn't really what you'd call particularly broad, largely limited to Star Wars stuff, classic HG Wells and the odd random book I've picked up from a second hand bookstore or had given to me. That's not neccesarily a bad thing, since I want to make it vaguely starwarsy (at least to the extent that fighter combat plays a big role), but I'm looking to broaden my horizons a little, particularly with some of the slightly darker sci-fi. I know that reading within the field too much can lead to contamination, so I basically just want to sample a few of the subgenres outside what I typically read. I'll be aiming to get these from the local library rather than the bookstore, so stuff that's at least a year or two old would be preferred.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Darker scifi... hmm. Alastair Reynold's stuff is good, particularly Diamond Dogs.

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Hyperion, by Dan Simmons. Period.

You will learn to ph34r t3h Shrike!

No, not that Shrike. :doubt::p
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil:

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
If you have watched Babylon 5, then I most definitely recommend to check out:
- To Dream in the City of Sorrows
- Legions of Fire (trilogy)
- The Shadow Within (prequel to The Passing of the Techno-mages)
- The Passing of the Techno-mages (trilogy)
- Dark Genesis, Deadly Relations, Final Reckoning (trilogy)

And preferrably in that order too.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Try some Asimov as well. Not entirely dark, but if you want to read someone who's thoughts span thousands of years including the history of 2 human empires from a point of view that isn't all 'shooty'. This is the man to read ;)

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Yeah, Asimov had some... 'time demanding' books :D Pretty damned good too if you ask me.
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil:

Offline ionia23

• "YES, I did finally see 'The Matrix' 12 years late
the Ringworld books by Niven.

The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny

Dune by Frank Herbert

Revenge of the 50 Foot Mutant Space Laser Penises by.......

There's at least a few Star Trek novels worth checking out.  "Dark Mirror" is a personal favorite.
"Why does it want me to say my name?"

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
Originally posted by Tiara
Hyperion, by Dan Simmons. Period.

Absolutely. That's about the best science fiction I've ever read. I honestly believe that has the capability to become a literary classic. It's absolutely rich with allegory and also a clever commentary on many aspects of our own time.
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
<---
|||||
|||||----
||||||||||
||||||||||
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 03:26:25 pm by 644 »

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
The Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton also about TND

These are the absolute best of modern SF(IE, published in the last 10-15 years.)
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline mitac

I'd recommend Gregory Benford's Contact series. In that order :

In the Ocean of Night
Across the Sea of Suns
Great Sky River
Tides of Light
Furious Gulf
Sailing Bright Eternity

The first two are rather "conventional" SciFi, Part 3+4 are pretty dark, part 5+6 are pretty weird. 3+4 are probably best. Admittedly I can't judge on the writing, as I only read the german translations.
marcet sine adversario virtus.

Genre:Sci Fi
Good fun read: Enders Game
Intriguing read: Manifold Space

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Dan Simmons (duh?)
Alistair Reynolds
Richard Morgan
Iain M Banks
Vernor Vinge

Just for a few authors to check out.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The Beserker series by Fred Saberhagen. The Berserkers are tied with the Shivans for best sci-fi villians, IMO.

If you're willing to come down out of the void for a little ground-based action, the Starfist series by Dave Sherman and Dan Cragg is a good read.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
Robert A. Heinlein :nod:
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Originally posted by Corsair
Robert A. Heinlein :nod:

RAH == :thepimp: :thepimp: :thepimp: :thepimp: :thepimp:
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
Originally posted by ionia23
Dune by Frank Herbert

seconded.
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Man you guys beat me (I've read probably 1/3 of what you guys posted)...

Ahem...  

Arthur C Clarke: Many, I particularly like Rama series and 2001,2010, and the 3001 (don't want to ruin that one but WOW what a concept).

Forgot who wrote it but HAMMER'S SLAMMERS! (Future Tanks WOOT!)

Believe it or not Piers Anthony had someinteresting works (Battle Circle Trilogy and something with a huge ass Land combat Train)
Both these series start out primitive but end up clashing with higher tech societies...

out!

(ps):  Bacuse of you people I have not touched more than a few library rentals of Trek (maybe 4 books)  in 3 years...
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
Iain M. Banks' books are very enjoyable. I've read Excession, Look To Windward, Use of Weapons and The Bridge. Supposedly A Player of Games is the best introduction to his Culture series of sci-fi books. (I haven't read it yet, it's sitting on my shelf while I read Consider Phlebas)

I also recommend Roger Allen Macbride's three part sci-fi time travel series. The individual titles are The Depths of Time, The Ocean of Years and The Shores of Tommorow. It has a unique take on time/space travel and keeps surprising you.

David Brin's uplift books are good as well (Sundiver, The Uplift War and so on).
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Originally posted by Getter Robo G
Forgot who wrote it but HAMMER'S SLAMMERS! (Future Tanks WOOT!)
David Drake.  He's written some good books, if you like military scifi.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.