Author Topic: Winamp is Dead  (Read 730 times)

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
http://slashdot.org/articles/04/11/11/1348218.shtml?tid=120&tid=141

Nullsoft has finally lost all of its devs. Apparently winamp will still get
updated occasionally, but it sounds like there won't be any more feature additions.
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
[color=66ff00]It became bloatware after 2.91 anyhow. If you're feeling nostalgic though you can install one of the many clones available. :yes:
[/color]

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
I like Winamp 5.  This is too bad.  But it's still better that Windows Media Player for MP3s, but I use MP Classic for everything else.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
5 isnt as bloated if you turn off the advanced skins. I just use the classic style. Ugly as hell, but its not meant to be pretty. Its meant to play music.

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
Maeg: Yeah, I liked 2.91 too. On my Win boxes I use that. On my Linux boxes I use XMMS or BMP, both are winamp clones.

Foobar 200 and Zinf are pretty good free alternative players. Foobar2000 in nice because it's made for the power user and has a lot of features   that require plugins for other players (MPC support is nice).
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline Clave

• Myrmidon
    Get Firefox!
    • Home of the Random Graphic
So... it's Loseamp now? :drevil:
altgame - a site about something: http://www.altgame.net/
Mr Sparkle!  I disrespect dirt!  Join me or die!  Could you do any less?

It became bloatware after 2.91 anyhow. If you're feeling nostalgic though you can install one of the many clones available

And became unbloat againt when it hit 5.x

In any case, it too bad WA isn't going to be updated anymore.  I was really hoping they'd at least implement the WA3 Media Library in WA5 as well.

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I really am enjoying WA5 with the Invicta advanced skin (stick mode) - on an ancient computer that barely plays Half-Life. This is a sad day, in my view.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

WA5 is actually quite a good player, very easy on the system, nice and reliable, good skinnability, nice system alltogether. A true pity.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by ChronoReverse
In any case, it too bad WA isn't going to be updated anymore.  I was really hoping they'd at least implement the WA3 Media Library in WA5 as well.

Uhh... Winamp5 HAS v3's Media Library. :wtf:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill