Author Topic: Cruise Duration for GTVA ships  (Read 15911 times)

Cruise Duration for GTVA ships
I think he may be referring to the vaporization of the slug when it embeds itself which then forces apart whatever the slug is in.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
u-238 auto detonates on impact because it is such an unstable material. this causes a molten metal jet effect which can eath through armor (see an a-10 straif on a tank). this is why i dont like the maxim, it doesnt go boomb on impact like it should.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
^the DU shells dont detonate, it's just that DU is ultradense so it casues better penetration. You are probably thinking of HEAT warheads.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
one who watches the history chanel as much as me cannot be wrong. ive seen multiple documentries that concure on what ive said. auto-detonation is not the same as detonation, auto detonate means that kinetic energy is converted directly into intense heat, thus melting the u-238. when you conver solid metal into vapor that fast the explosive results are huge. its not nuclear but it does go boomb. put simply u-238 shells explode on impact. api rounds work on the same principle but encase the uranium in a metal with a higher melting point, the result is a shape charge that has better penetration characteristics than the standard u-238 he shells. its a more fucused hit and is alot better for shooting up fuel tanks.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Fergus

(looks confusedly around at the devastated thread, different people are demonstrating thier choice of WMD)

u-238 auto detonates on impact because it is such an unstable material. this causes a molten metal jet effect which can eath through armor (see an a-10 straif on a tank). this is why i dont like the maxim, it doesnt go boomb on impact like it should

(then glances at thread title)

(shakes head and walks away)
Generic signature quote blabber

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Originally posted by Carl
and you can take raw organic materials, such as poo, and convert them to edible foodstuffs. all you need is the right technology.

speaking of which, all this "a ship couldn't withstand a nuclear bomb" stuff is assuming that the ships are made of 21st century materials.

:lol:
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
what's funny?
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

If i knew the food on my plate was once poo, i wouldn´t eat it no matter how much sugar you add to it, that´s for sure!
No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
its been throu a poo->food converter, its totally safe :D

Nuke's Scripting SVN

poo->dirt converter == bacteria and bugs

dirt->food converter == plants

plant->meat converter == herbivores

Never eat again.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Swamp_Thing
If i knew the food on my plate was once poo, i wouldn´t eat it no matter how much sugar you add to it, that´s for sure!

Hate to break this to you but all your food has been poo at some point in the last few hundred million years :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Actually, if the axiom of matter not being creatable and destroyable is true, then you have no idea where you 'food' may have been ;)

As for cruise times, I would reckon ships are designed to go for around 6 months without supplies. Chances are that basic repair facilities would be on destroyers, but I suspect anything beyond hull-damage would require a Dry-dock at some point.

I didn't pick 6 months for any real reason other than it's a nice human value, and sounds about right :)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken