Author Topic: What if Earth had two moons?  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
What if Earth had two moons?
Yeah, this just popped into my mind, guess I gotta take my medication more often ;).  What do you think would the consequences be of Earth having two moons? How things such as seasons and other things would be different? And how do you think this would have affected the development of, for example, science?

And lastly, are there any books about this subject?
"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." - Jonathan Swift
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
We'de have one normal moon, and one deadly battle-moon. You know, lasers, missles, that sort of thing.

I am confident that my claims have a solid scientific backing .

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
We'd have some messed up tides.
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Different tides, some species would have to be different in their method of migration, things would be twice as odd with a double full moon :D
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
is the second moon the same size as our real one? if so, then everything would be way different. if it's like phobos or deimos then it would be negligible.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The bigger the second moon, the worse it gets to be honest...

Our moon sheperds the axis of the planet and keeps it pointing in more or less the same direction, most other planets wobble a lot more than Earth does. It's that which keeps us within the Environmental 'parameters' that allowed so much life to develop.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
We'd probably have twice the number of werewolf attacks, too.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Actually, if they were similar sizes, the gravity tides would probably have ripped the Earth into a Tectonic nightmare to resemble io ;)

Offline Lynx

I think the Earth axis orientation would be a lot mor unstable, leading to extensive climatic changes an a monthly/yearly basis.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Simple answer : there would be twice as many fake moon landing theories.

It would be interesting, one useful thing about the moon being that it stops earth wobbling too much on its axis, hence preventing drastic climate change.  Though i've only really heard discussion about if earth had no moon, basically sayying that it needs one for axial stability.  Though half of the planets have more than one moon in this solar system.  Are they that ustable.
The main thing is, it depends on the moon.  A small asteroid like Mars's moons wouldn't be that important.  A large moon like Titan? Its almost a as big as earth, a binary system could acutally form. And that would fudge up a number of things, including the magnetic field which stops us getting 'toasted' by solar flares.

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

Offline Lynx

It depends how the moon orbits relate to each other. Depending on that it could either mean that the eartha axis gets stabilized or more likely spinning around wildly. As for other planets having mny moons those are gas planets with freaking huge masses..even if they jave over twenty moons like Jupiter it means jack **** since their mass is negligible compared to the main planet.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
yeah, because a good definition of the solar system is: The Sun, Jupiter, and a little bit of other stuff.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Pretty much true, well, it;s more or less Sol, Jupiter, Saturn and 'leftovers'

Offline Grey Wolf

Impossible, assuming the collision formation theory was correct, as two moons would have been unstable.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Yep, the theory is still that the moon was stripped from Earths mantle after a collision with something about the size of Mars. So, I'm glad we didn't hit it twice ;)

Actually, I seem to recall the Earth does have 2 'moons' hang on..... I'll go look

Offline Grey Wolf

IIRC, it actually did hit twice within a day or so.  But when they ran the simulation, the scenarios that produced two moons were unstable.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/second_moon_991029.html

Not really moons as such, but I guess if Deimos and Phobos count, so do these ;)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I go through all the trouble of cutting out that clasic sceen and no one even coments.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I didn't get it. :nervous: