Author Topic: 3000 Dead in World's Largest Quake in 40 Years  (Read 10181 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
220,000 Dead (and counting) in World's Largest Quake in 40 Years
he'd never make it past the SS
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Blair would kiss him back and Gordon Brown would laugh with glee.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline mitac

Interesting critical article on the financial aid.
marcet sine adversario virtus.

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Originally posted by mitac
Interesting critical article on the financial aid.

Well duh that not all the money gets there in actual goods. What do you think it costs to transport the stuff from all over the world to a place with virtually no effective infrastructure left?

And some people seem to underestimate the cost of rebuilding infrastructure as a whole. It costs containers full of money to clear all the debris, you don't just need to rebuild houses you also need to rebuild powerplants, factories, transport facilities.

People are complaining that most of the money doesn't go 'to the people'. Bull**** if you ask me. People don't pay attention when money gets poured into anything besides food and the immediate concerns. That's like the very tip of the iceberg.

Not to mention that in the current chaos money IS going to be wasted. there is no fighting it. it's a fact that not all moey will be spent with 100% effictivity. Such a thing is impossible to begin with.

Sorry, but that article seems a little bit (read: very) presumptious.
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil:

Offline Crazy_Ivan80

• Node Warrior
Originally posted by Tiara

That might be true, but now people have opened their eyes. There were millions and millions of people who hadn't thought of donating to anything before this disaster. Maybe after the dust settles down a bit, they see that this isn't the only place that needs help.

I for one certainly hope so. :)

or, more realistically, people will remember that this other place which needs help is still one ****ed up continent after all the billions poured into it in various ways and go on to ignore it more or less since no amount of money is going to solve anything there unless the people living there change their ways...

What this shows is that people are still willing to donate to sudden disasters, not that they arenecessarily going to care more about places that have been a mess since most were born.

Tough cookies, but that's how it is.
It came from outer space! What? Dunno, but it's going back on the next flight!
Proud member of Hard Light Productions. The last, best hope for Freespace...
:ha:

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Well, I heard this weekend that the Brazilian government may be sending the carrier São Paulo there with choppers to help on the rescue/aid delivery efforts. It's a lot more practical than just sending money, and will do a lot more to save the lives that need saving now than sending just money would.

I hope they actually send it.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Actually, I hear that diaster crews aren't really in such demand anymore. The Canadian government sent their diaster crew to the area, and basically what they were told is "thanks for showing up guys, we really could have used you two weeks ago. Now, uh, go clean up that rubble over there".

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Last night on the news; a man has survived a whole week drifting at sea and ended up in a pool of mud with only his head sticking out. He was barely conciouss and could only say his own name as they found him.

A small miracle I'd say. :) A whole week...

And also, Holland just announced a 200 million Euro donation for the rebuilding of the disaster areas on top of the 40 million for immediate aid. All-in-all 355 million Euro has been raised here (~466 million USD).

Now, let's hope all the money can make difference. :)
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil:

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
At least he'll have good skin. Heavy price mind - worse than the body shop dare I say.

Anyway, I wonder what everyone thinks of Indonesia banning aid workers from going outside the two main areas.

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
Stupid, stupid people.

Finnish Minister of Culture decides to spend her vacation - one she propably booked long, long time ago - in Thailand, playinggolf.

This is obviously bad, according to several suckass newspapers and some of the idiotic masses.
"OH NOES SHE MUST NOT TRAVEL THERE AND SPEND HER MONEY BECAUSE THE THAILAND NEEDS MONEY AND NOT HER MONEY SHE WOULD SPEND THERE oh wait"

Hey let's stop buing Thai products as well because it would be tasteless! And let's put their country on embargo! AND DECLARE WAR ON THEM

Idiots.
lol wtf

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by vyper
Anyway, I wonder what everyone thinks of Indonesia banning aid workers from going outside the two main areas.

Did they actually ban them? I thought they were just strongly reccomending people stick to the main streets and stuff because of all the rebel groups and suchlike. It kind of makes sense when you take into account the fact that all the military people from other nations are there unarmed.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
They banned 'em.

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Yep, considering the time that has passed since the event, if a missing person hasn't been found, the odds are heavily in favor of them being dead, so they just declared everyone on the list(70,000?) dead.

Sad, but not the worse natural disaster to strike the region.  There was something about a century ago that killed 900,000.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Oh man.... :(

Thread title updated.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill