Author Topic: 3000 Dead in World's Largest Quake in 40 Years  (Read 10179 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
220,000 Dead (and counting) in World's Largest Quake in 40 Years
>59,000 dead, with thousands more missing

The title of this thread seems like hopeless optimism......

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hmm...

*edits thread title*

:(

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Us in the U.S. and in Europe need to look really closely at this. If a big earthquake hit the central Atlantic, it would send waves higher than that toward NY City and Boston and places in Europe. I've read alot about the coastline along NY City and storm surge. NY's coastline is very shallow, if a Hurricane hit there it would bring storm surge to over 15 feet high. Now think about what a 8.0 earthquake would do. *Thinks of scene from "The Day After Tommorow".:shaking:
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
The US, Japan etc already have a Tsunami warning system in the Pacific ocean (there's an average of 8 tsunamis a year there - obviously not as severe - the area has heavy seismic activity)

I'm not sure if the atlantic is unstable enough to be a risk; there was a suggestion that a super-tsunami could be cause by a massive landslide from a number of places (this super-tsunami would be powerful enough to wipe the entire east coast of the US, the UK and a great deal of europe off the map), but the likelihood of such an event is disputed (it relies upon a single massive landslide; it's debatable whether this can actually happen).

This is just horrible.  At least Thailand's offering free flights out of the country for tourists.  And the people who've lost everything except the clothes they wear. :(

Well guys, don't forget about global warming.  If that cap on the North melts, it'll submerge low-lying regions like Florida and Bangladesh...*shudders*
[V] for FS3!

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
They were talking last night about how the death toll is going to go up to even more obscene levels once the water born diseases like malaria and cholera start spreading.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
I don't know how much the atlantic is unstable, but earthquakes happen out there, and as far as I know so do volcanos. But, most people don't think about it, same way with huge quakes the hit the Tennesee area back in 1812, changed the flow of rivers.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Ryx

• Twilight Falling
  • Away in RL land. Back later.
A classmate was/is in Thailand. I hope she's alright.
Intel C2D E6850|4Gb RAM|Abit IP35 PRO|ATI X1900 XT

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by WeatherOp
I don't know how much the atlantic is unstable, but earthquakes happen out there, and as far as I know so do volcanos. But, most people don't think about it, same way with huge quakes the hit the Tennesee area back in 1812, changed the flow of rivers.

The Atlantic is apparently a lot more stable than the pacific in particular....apparently there's simply not the potential for the same size of tsunami as in the Indian or Pacific ocean.  There's obviously additional danger from landslide-based tsunamis.... either way, there is no Atlantic warning system.

EDIT; apparently the Portugese & Spanish have built a warning system for Western Europe, though.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by WeatherOp
Us in the U.S. and in Europe need to look really closely at this. If a big earthquake hit the central Atlantic, it would send waves higher than that toward NY City and Boston and places in Europe. I've read alot about the coastline along NY City and storm surge. NY's coastline is very shallow, if a Hurricane hit there it would bring storm surge to over 15 feet high. Now think about what a 8.0 earthquake would do. *Thinks of scene from "The Day After Tommorow".:shaking:

15 foot waves? You're far more heavily f**ked than that.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
Originally posted by aldo_14

The Atlantic is apparently a lot more stable than the pacific in particular....apparently there's simply not the potential for the same size of tsunami as in the Indian or Pacific ocean.  There's obviously additional danger from landslide-based tsunamis.... either way, there is no Atlantic warning system.

EDIT; apparently the Portugese & Spanish have built a warning system for Western Europe, though.

Iceland. Eurasian and American tectonic plates are separating.
lol wtf

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by karajorma

15 foot waves? You're far more heavily f**ked than that.

There's apparently an arguement over how likely that is; some scientists say that such a large landslide would fragment up and hit the water in 'pieces'... I think the analogy was between dropping a brick in a bath, and dropping the same brick broken up into pieces.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Janos

Iceland. Eurasian and American tectonic plates are separating.

Indeed, and that's why we're safe: no frictions, nothing.Iceland is on a sideway and tortuous part of the crack, and it doesn't suffer from earthquakes anyway.
SCREW CANON!

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
This is unreal.
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline Clave

• Myrmidon
    Get Firefox!
    • Home of the Random Graphic
50,000 confirmed, it just keeps coming...

Sri Lanka: 18,706 dead
Indonesia: 27,174 dead
India: 4,371 dead
Thailand: 1,516 dead
Maldives: 52 dead
Malaysia: 44 dead
Burma: 30 dead
Bangladesh: 2 dead
Somalia: 100 dead
Kenya: 1 dead
Seychelles: 3 dead
Tanzania: 10 dead
altgame - a site about something: http://www.altgame.net/
Mr Sparkle!  I disrespect dirt!  Join me or die!  Could you do any less?

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
so what do you think the number's going to end up at?

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
also, anyone plan on taking any action to personally help the victims?  by that i mean, rather than going "OMG that's horrible", actually sending money, or volunteering for the relief efforts?

Offline redmenace

Um I am thinking about sending a couple hundred dollars my self. I know there are many US organizations taking donations to provide food and clothing.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Originally posted by Stealth
so what do you think the number's going to end up at?

the shady side of 200,000 at least.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.