Author Topic: Is there something that makes the Prometheus-R useful?  (Read 3770 times)

Is there something that makes the Prometheus-R useful?
So I'm probably way behind the times.  Sue me.

But I've just been looking over the weapons.tbl...and from the look of it, the prometheus-R is a step down from the Subach in every way possible.  Over an equivalent period of time, the subby will do more damage against hulls, shields, or subsystems, and use less energy to boot.  Both have equal range....and for the life of me I can't figure out what the point of the Prometheus-R is.

So, is there some factor I'm overlooking, or is the prometheus-R really just a useless piece of junk?

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
It's useless. Besides, the Mekhu pwnz!
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
To look cool?
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

OK, so it's not just me missing something.  Thanks guys.

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
'Tis a steaming pile of poopoo, right enough. Double Subachs all the way until you get the Prom S. :nod:
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
The Prometheus R is the short form for Prometheus Retard, as it's commonly called. :p

It's given to n00bs so they can go and play without actually hurting anyone.

Seriously, it has limited effectiveness against hull, but is totally worthless against shields. The Mekhu is better all around, while it is roughly as effective as a Subach.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Notkietothworld

• Banned
I would like to tell everyone that as a matter of fact I am not kietotheworld.
I am, as a matter of fact, not kietothworld

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
What the hell?
Your first post is that in a completely unrelated topic?
The n00bs are getting out of hand, imho

And yes, it is indeed ****.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Good to hear.

Anyway, what makes the Prom-R useful? HFH makes the Prom-R useful. ;) :nod:
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
If you make it a fixed loadout, I'm not going to play your campaign :p

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Relax. It's a 4/3 weapon now, instead of a 4/1. I'm not that sadistic, to give you Prom-R's unaltered. :p

I gave it the stats I always thought it should have. "The Prometheus cannon packs a wallop, but it will drain your energy reserves." Well now it actually does pack a wallop, like Samsa said.

It's still inferior to the Prom-S, but since I can promise you won't get any Prom-S's until 2/3 of the way through the campaign, you should take what you can get. :nod:
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Notkietothworld
I would like to tell everyone that as a matter of fact I am not kietotheworld.

Please refrain from spamming our forums. I'm sure you wouldn't like to be tarnished with that reputation so early on. I'll be keeping an eye on you to ensure that spamming alone is not your intention here.

With that in mind, welcome to Hard Light Productions.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Kalfireth

Please refrain from spamming our forums. I'm sure you wouldn't like to be tarnished with that reputation so early on. I'll be keeping an eye on you to ensure that spamming alone is not your intention here.

With that in mind, welcome to Hard Light Productions.

I'm 96% sure that that is, in fact, Kietotheworld, making a joke about Cobra2.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
Originally posted by High Max
Kaysers are the best. A lot of campaigns have the Kayser available throughout most of the campaigns. The best thing you can do is load all your wingmen and yourself with Kaysers and never let your wingmen use dumbfires, only yourself. Instead, load them up with aspect-seekers. Doing this will make it much more likely to do great on missions.

I disagree. Kaysers drink far too much power. Fine, give 'em to yer wingmen, but I hate the things. I always end up running out of gun power at the critical point (ie. I've taken down the target's shields and given it a pasting, and then run out of juice just as I line up the fatal shot). And they're dreadful for attacking capships. You can only shoot things up for a second or two, and then you have to wait for the recharge... Gimme a quad bank of Prom S over Kaysers any day. They take less power, are almost as effective, and have 50% longer range. Also, the bolts move faster, so getting a hit on a fast target is easier. So there :p

Offline Cabbie

Originally posted by pyro-manic

I disagree. Kaysers drink far too much power. Fine, give 'em to yer wingmen, but I hate the things. I always end up running out of gun power at the critical point (ie. I've taken down the target's shields and given it a pasting, and then run out of juice just as I line up the fatal shot). And they're dreadful for attacking capships. You can only shoot things up for a second or two, and then you have to wait for the recharge... Gimme a quad bank of Prom S over Kaysers any day. They take less power, are almost as effective, and have 50% longer range. Also, the bolts move faster, so getting a hit on a fast target is easier. So there :p

I love juggling my power settings so I like Kaysers  :).  

I usually put my power settings buttons on my throttle and switch to full weapons everytime I pull behind my targets. (then revert to my normal settings when the target dies or runs off) Takes forever to drain  your reserves even with an Enryies.

Though I agree with you that Prom S is much better in many things. I prefer to have a   prom s on one bank and a kayser on the other. Although Im not sure, it seems to do much more damage then dual Ks.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Originally posted by High Max
Kaysers are the best. A lot of campaigns have the Kayser available throughout most of the campaigns. The best thing you can do is load all your wingmen and yourself with Kaysers and never let your wingmen use dumbfires, only yourself. Instead, load them up with aspect-seekers. Doing this will make it much more likely to do great on missions.

Kaysers aren't always available, and I find them kind of draining to use myself. I prefer the Prom-S over it in most circumstances (the longer range is a big plus). At least, assuming the Prom-S is available. You know how bad the argon shortage has been now that the nebula isn't accessible. ;)

But I do agree with you on wingmen using dumbfires. They shouldn't use em at all, unless they have a cruiser or a bunch of freighters to shoot at.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
My ideal loadout:

An Ares, with

A Kayser in the 4-gun slot
A Maxim in the 2-gun slot

Tornadoes
Trebuchets

Total pwnage in the last missions of FS2 or Derelict.  I can take out half the Shivan fleet single-handedly. ;7

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
What I find ridiculous is the availibility of Kaysers in most user made campaigns. They are prototype first grade weapons for heaven's sake!

Unless you're serving in a top squadron or Omega division of SOC you'll never get close to them even in 10 years after Capella.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
Originally posted by Goober5000
My ideal loadout:

An Ares, with

A Kayser in the 4-gun slot
A Maxim in the 2-gun slot

Tornadoes
Trebuchets

Total pwnage in the last missions of FS2 or Derelict.  I can take out half the Shivan fleet single-handedly. ;7

Same here, but switch the Kaysers for Prom Ss, and the tornadoes for harpoons...

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
i find that the maxims drain power faster than kayers, so i usually go Kayser/PromS when possible.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord