Author Topic: Do Not Look Inside!!  (Read 5144 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by KARMA
well, I still think that it'd be better with some plating lines in the textures, just to breake the wider flat surfaces.

btw guys what's the pcount of your cockpits usually? cuz I have to decide if to add one to an aw which is already over 2k triangles

Venoms cockpit model is about 50-100 all in all, I think.

Mine are much more detailed; the highest is 1152, which includes 2 pilots.  (pilot is 320, cockpit 532).  Normally would be about 600-800 for single-seaters, I think.

It is a very high count, I realise, but on the other hand it looks **** hot IMHO.  But you can get good results for much lower counts, it depends how much detail you're aiming for.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
probly adds about 150 when all is said and done, it's prety minor on modern models
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
1152!?:wtf: Bloody 'ell!

you know I have code that could render that submodel only when the player is close to it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 06:46:16 am by 57 »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Bobboau
1152!?:wtf: Bloody 'ell!

Put it this way....I modelled in the seat cushions & joysticks.. I was halfway between making an FS-spec and a cutscene spec model.  And it is a 2 seater, after all; there's a lot of detail I had to add for that specific model.

http://www.3dactionplanet.com/hlp/hosted/casofwar/heel/chn_cp1.jpg
http://www.3dactionplanet.com/hlp/hosted/casofwar/heel/chn_cp2.jpg

you know I have code that could render that submodel only when the player is close to it.

I'm waiting to see the actual performance impact in a proper mission.  If it's an issue, I'll tweak the lods and shove in a low-detail subobject.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well if it's already in a seperate subobject (wich it should be now that I think of it, beinf a cockpit and all) there isn't realy much of a reason not to use it, other than lazyness, wich I supose is a valid enough reason.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
well if it's already in a seperate subobject (wich it should be now that I think of it, beinf a cockpit and all) there isn't realy much of a reason not to use it, other than lazyness, wich I supose is a valid enough reason.

*ching*

Bingo.

Originally posted by aldo_14

Put it this way....I modelled in the seat cushions & joysticks.. I was halfway between making an FS-spec and a cutscene spec model.  

My cockpit is half built in the ship´s hull. Only the seat and pilot (and the ugly joystick) are seperate subojects. But the seat i made i modeled the cushions, side arms, and head rest!
:D

The pilot i´m using is the one that comes with Nuke´s cockpit, and it´s buggy. The model has the back faces missing, wich might present a problem. I like the one you use. Can i borrow it?
Could you set up a file so that i can dowload it? I don´t want to have to build and texture a new one...
:p

UPDATE:
Added the ammo belts to the gatlings, and some numbers to the hull.

No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Swamp_Thing

The pilot i´m using is the one that comes with Nuke´s cockpit, and it´s buggy. The model has the back faces missing, wich might present a problem. I like the one you use. Can i borrow it?
Could you set up a file so that i can dowload it? I don´t want to have to build and texture a new one...

edit;
http://www.aldo14.f2s.com/portfolio/pilot.zip
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 06:53:39 pm by 181 »

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
If you ask me, the model looks like a Plasma Bomber form Homeworld. Looks good, just not very FS'ish.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
bull, it's fine
(you will want to LOD it, and you are useing _one_ texture (exept from the cockpit glass of course))

looks like a good ship but not very FSy, as many many others have said it looks like something pre-FS1.

I'm pretty sure I've heard people reporting slowdown from less-poly ships. But, they may not have been LODed correctly (or at all).
-C

@Aldo_14

:yes:
Thanks, that was fast!
The pilot has some REALY big legs, doesn´t he? Fortunally, they will be hidden under the dashboard.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
i wish our IW2 modding department didn't die off as fast as it did.  this model would fit perfectly into that universe.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

UPDATE:
Been playing with Photoshop a bit, altering some textures and making some others. I think it looks even better now.

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/Racer16.jpg
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 12:12:06 am by 2050 »

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
that's a bit too much. get rid of the four green things in the middle and get rid off the checkers on the fronts of the engines cones.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

I´m way ahead of you.
But i´m keeping the green lights.
EDIT:
or maybe not...

I think i´ve finished the first phase. Second phase will be texturing the inside of the cockpit, LOD it, pof it, and with any luck blowing it out of the sky in-game!!

;7
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 12:10:13 am by 2050 »

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Looks like a blockade runner to me :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Swamp_Thing
@Aldo_14

:yes:
Thanks, that was fast!
The pilot has some REALY big legs, doesn´t he? Fortunally, they will be hidden under the dashboard.

Well, it is completely proportionally correct, because I used a biped (which AFAIK is a correctly proportioned skeleton rig) to model it :D

Which was actually incredibly useful for properly scale thing cockpit seat et al.

Originally posted by Nico
Looks like a blockade runner to me :p

Why do you say that?

Btw, i´ve named this ship the "BLACKBIRD", for obvious reasons. It looks very similar to the USAF Blackbird, except for the cockpit.
I didn´t base myself on it, it just turned out that way.

Incredible work there, swamp_thing.
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!