Author Topic: Lightbringer ready!  (Read 8007 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the gunship needs more pollys
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Originally posted by TrashMan
@StratComm - the typhon is a tricky one. It's shape is such that extra polys do little to no difference. I appreciate your input, but I find you statement, that a normal typhon looks more detailed than mine, somewhat insulting (espacially sine mine still doesn't have those wing things behind the bridge and below the hull and those struts connecting them), alltough I understand where it's coming from.
And my intentions was to make it like a heavy typhon.... I found it better than a Hatesputh...

I really am not trying to pick your models apart or insult you Trashman, it's just that more polys does not necessarily mean more detail.  Yes, they can make smoother curves (of which the Typhon never actually had that many) and they do allow for more accurate lighting.  But putting them in willy-nilly just because you can isn't a good use of them, and quite frankly that's all I see when I look at that model.  Yes, it is indeed lacking the struts and wings, and yes, I assumed that you would add them later.  But that doesn't change the fact that the :v: pof has far fewer polygons including those details, while yours has more, no such details, and no real change anywhere else.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline aldi

could i have a copy of the 23,000 poly typhon pof

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by Raa
I have a 23,000 poly typhon pof if anyone is interested. :D

Hi-poly Typhon? Where?

*drools in anticipation*
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Grimloq

• Backslash enthusiast
actually, raa, i WOULD like to see that... :|

how could you get 23000 polys into something as fuuuugly as the typhon?
A alphabetically be in organised sentences should words.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Originally posted by Grimloq
actually, raa, i WOULD like to see that... :|

how could you get 23000 polys into something as fuuuugly as the typhon?

Go look.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Kie99

"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Grimloq

• Backslash enthusiast

im afraid im not really impressed with the model...
A alphabetically be in organised sentences should words.

Personally, about that "heavy typhon" --- I don't mind the idea of variant/refit models of the same ship. Hold onto that. I've always liked variety --- it could in fact be called a Typhon T2 or something...the result of taking really really old Typhons and instead of scrapping them, spending the time to refit them.

Either that, or they are the result of producing Typhons in the modern age using modern manufacturing and design changes. The next-generation of the same ship.

Don't ever ditch a modified version of any canon ship. Heck, I've been waiting for people to start doing this --- just taking normal FS2 ships and tweaking them, so that individual ships in campaigns are unique in their own ways.

Such as Orions that are still classified as a GTD Orion class but are slightly longer for a carrier profile, or a shorter, cheaper, and stubbier (and faster!) Deimos for really light recon. I always hated how in sci fi militaries, all ships of the same class all look the same. One would think there'd be SOME variety. The only exception I've ever seen in sci fi from my experience is the USS Miranda-class starship in Star Trek --- the Federation DESIGNED that ship to be a modular package you slap the components for the mission you want on and away you go... combat, add extra launchers, science, more sensor arrays.

Point is people, don't debunk "new" ships just because they are VERY close to a canon ship. That can be a strength in of itself!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 09:59:28 pm by 1644 »

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I couldn't decide, so I made two new versions of the Lightbringer. Completely ready (lod's, debris, paths, insignia). I allso re-made the Lancer Assault Carrier (100% complete...wait! NOOOOOOOOOOOO! I forgot nameplates! Oh, well.. it's a 5 minute fix...)

Now I'm re-doing the Military Outpost, making lods for that Terran jump gate, and trying to finish that Typhoon 2 model.

Once it's all done, I'm gonna release them all..Or maby I won't wait that long...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 04:09:06 pm by 624 »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
"subtle differences" my ass. That's a copy of the Typhoon. Might as well give up and call it a high-poly Typhoon.
And that fighter looks good, but the textures are god-aweful.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
It's spelled "Typhon".:p

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I always thought it was a Typhoon?

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Nope, Typhon.  Not sure the origin of the word, but typhoon is a common mistake.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

It IS spelled Typhoon. With 2 "O"s.
Allthough the tech database spells Typhon, the word is really spelled typhoon. They made a mistake spelling it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 04:57:35 pm by 2050 »
No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Typhoon is not an Egyptian word. Note how the rest of the Vasudan ships are named, please.

It's Typhon. You see the damn name so many times I find it impossible to believe that is a mistake.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Then pray tell us what Typhon means, in egyptian. Otherwise, i will always see it as a spelling typo.

EDIT:
After a quick earch, i found this:

"Typhon is the offspring of Gaia and Tartarus. His mate is Echidna and both were so fearful that when the gods saw them they changed into animals and fled in terror. Typhon's hundred, horrible heads touched the stars, venom dripped from his evil eyes, and lava and red-hot stones poured from his gaping mouths. Hissing like a hundred snakes and roaring like a hundred lions, he tore up whole mountains and threw them at the gods.

Zeus soon regained his courage and turned, and when the other gods saw him taking his stand, they came back to help him fight the monster. A terrible battle raged, and hardly a living creature was left on Earth. But Zeus was fated to win, and as Typhon tore up huge Mount Aetna to hurl at the gods, Zeus struck it with a hundred well-aimed thunderbolts and the mountain fell back, pinning Typhon underneath. There the monster lies to this very day, belching fire, lava and smoke through the top of the mountain.

Echidna, his hideous mate, escaped destruction. She cowered in a cave, protecting Typhon's offspring, and Zeus let them live as a challenge to future heroes. Echidna and Typhon's children are the Nemean Lion, Cerberus, Ladon, the Chimera, the Sphinx, and the Hydra. "

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/t/typhon.html

Maybe they "confused"  greek mythology wirth egyptian, uh?
:rolleyes:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 05:15:01 pm by 2050 »
No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
If the game says PVD Typhon, then it's named after Typhon and spelled Typhon. You dodged the point, but it came around and hit you in the ass.

Typhoon isn't Egyptian either.

--General Battuta

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Comparison between my Typhon 2 and hte original
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
It's Typhon. Vasudans use Egyptian mythology.  How you could mistake an Egyptian god with an act of nature is beyond me...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist