Author Topic: firefox icon  (Read 1476 times)

Originally posted by WMCoolmon
Store an icon called "favicon.ico" in every directory?

Or add a link rel for the favicon to every page and use just one favicon file.

which ever one is more convienent... and easy.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 03:11:55 am by 1164 »
hmm.....

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by ZylonBane
A car is a tangible. Software is not. As you're well aware, standard usage with software is "my _____ OF software_name", where the blank is "version", "install", "copy", etc.

Oh for goodness' sake, stop being such a pedant; don't you have work to do or something?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
Store an icon called "favicon.ico" in every directory?

Or add a link rel for the favicon to every page and use just one favicon file.

Erm. As far as I know, it's enough to upload a single favicon.ico file to root of the home dir. Works from there to any subdirs. Not even seperate reference to favicon.ico is required. Could be prevented server-side though.

let's try it then
hmm.....

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Good god people, favicons have been around ever since IE5. Their implementation is not a subject of mystery or debate.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Having an HLP favicon for HLP won't (currently) work because we don't have access to the root of the server.

However, there is a method that's not as widely supported using HTML meta tags or something - I'm not familiar with it, though.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Go to this page and bookmark it. I think I just never got round to implementing it board-wide.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Grey Wolf

As a note to Flaser, you're not the official board Communist. That would be Comrade Shrike, if I remember correctly.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
Originally posted by aldo_14

Oh for goodness' sake, stop being such a pedant; don't you have work to do or something?

Took the words right out my mouth. :p

As for the icon, I've actually wondered about that myself. When I bookmarked HLP, for some weird reason it got the MSN butterfly icon. :confused:

I wouldn't mind seeing the little red spinny thing up there. But its hardly a critical issue. Still... :)

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Originally posted by Grey Wolf
As a note to Flaser, you're not the official board Communist. That would be Comrade Shrike, if I remember correctly.

Neither is Raa.

Beside being the "official" or not, the thing runs in my blood. :p
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Originally posted by Setekh
Go to this page and bookmark it. I think I just never got round to implementing it board-wide.

Didn't need to bookmark, it showed up in the tab. :) :yes:
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by vyper

Didn't need to bookmark, it showed up in the tab. :) :yes:
-C

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by Flaser

Neither is Raa.

No... But I am the official HLP Fur! :D
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

I was the offical "pick-fights-with-an0n-like-an-idiot-n00b" back in the old days.

Not sure what I am now. Hungry? Hungry.

*eats Red Baron mini-pizza*

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Originally posted by Sandwich
Having an HLP favicon for HLP won't (currently) work because we don't have access to the root of the server.

However, there is a method that's not as widely supported using HTML meta tags or something - I'm not familiar with it, though.

Root of the server is not needed, I think you should have access to ".../freespace" folder. "hlp" and "forums" are subfolders under "freespace" so it should show up.

doesn't seem to work for me... i go to the link and it works but when i leave... nothing... same boring "webpage" icon.
hmm.....

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
ok so it shows up the tab, but its jsut for that page no?
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Setekh's favicon works for me. Remember, that if your browser has cached the old icon, it may not display the new one and loading the old icon from cache instead.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I remember when favicons were the Next Big Thing.

Reading this thread is like taking a trip back to the 80s. ;) :p
-C

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
80's... they used text based browsers back then... in intranets...