Author Topic: FTL Travel  (Read 5242 times)

Offline The Claw

• Run! Chickens Incoming!
I was thinking, what ways are there (in theory) of travelling at Faster Than Light speeds?
 I know that scientists think with a breakthrough in gravitational control they could bypass the bad effects of the theory of relativity. I am also familiar with the concept of wormholes.
 I was wondering what other methods does anyone else know about?

------------------
Chickens? Where? Where BOOM!!
 Folks... we have a very special guest for you tonight... I would likje to introduce:
 MR HORN :-Linkin Park ;)
 Project coordinator of Alternate Reality: The Chickens Cometh and A... errr... team member of The Perfect Storm.
"I love the English for three reasons. One, we always beat you at rugby. Two, your wives are always friendly. Three you fought like devils to save us" Old French bloke at my uncles pub.
"One has plenty of time for contemplation while waiting for the endless waves of bad doggie werewolf monsters that chew your toes while you sleep"-Dradeel, BG2

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
-Tachyon shunts (either into tachyon space or simply tachyons in 'realspace')
-Fold drives
-Hyperdrive
-Wormholes
-Spongespace (popping between various bubble universes)

Some I know off the top of my head.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Tachyon bubble transport is overall Shrike's mentioned idea taken further.

Such a device could easily carry entire fleets of vessels within it's shell, and standard propulsion would then move the vessel through a relativity-less motion.

Another option is taking an object's stringlet waveform, and amplify it. (stringlets are the theoretical vibrations that form quarks) This would in effect enlarge objects without changing their mass.

Movement of the enlarged vessel, and then subsequent return to normal waveform would result in a leap similar to FTL.

By being outside of a stringlet frequency, the quarks might alter unfortunately, or cause ships to be shifted out of frequencies that form our normal universe and stable matter.

If done quickly enough, or in-joint with a stasis device, then the ships enlarged would shift from effecting our universe, and then slide into their new location.

What is required is being able to alter the frequencies, as well as then maintain the object at near absolute zero while moving it, and then returning normal quantum waveform.

------------------
Ace
Staff member FreeSpace Watch
 http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited 06-16-2001).]
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
Ah yes, the Bloater drive.  
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline The Claw

• Run! Chickens Incoming!
Any one got any links to sites with this stuff on?
"I love the English for three reasons. One, we always beat you at rugby. Two, your wives are always friendly. Three you fought like devils to save us" Old French bloke at my uncles pub.
"One has plenty of time for contemplation while waiting for the endless waves of bad doggie werewolf monsters that chew your toes while you sleep"-Dradeel, BG2

Offline Fattony

• Banned
I have a practical way to make something move FTL.

You put Rachel Stevens (from S Club 7) naked, horny and waiting for me, on a bed. Tell me, and watch for the light-shockwaves.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
SCREW CANON!

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin

Originally posted by venom2506:

Offline KillMeNow

• The Empire Lives
hmmmm where should i start a favourite subject on mine - to simplfiy the superstring method - everything is thought to be made up of tiny little vibrating strings that are incredubally small but are though to exsist and form mulitple dimensions - of which all but the main 4 are to small to be detected as of yet - those dimensions could possible unfolded and then through means unknow you enter them and move tiny distance through them but your imergence zone could be light years distance. wormholes well just watch stargate and use your imagination. spacetime bubbles well think warp drive from star trek but withouth being able to see the universe around you - you create a bubble around the ship then manipulate it to move through space time without moving at all. you shrink spacetime infront of the ship expand it behind you.  - you could ride a space time wave like a sufer riding a wave but that ones is questionable whether it would go ftl since you still in space time being psuhed by a space time wave moving at super lumianl velocities. tachyons are probally going to be more use as comunication device since they can move faster than light but since we're not made of them hard to ame us go faster than light - also they cant go slower than light is like matter in reverse - takes infinate energy to slow them to the sped of light so the colder the particle is the faster it goes at zero energy the particle would be moving at infite speed exisiting everywhere in the entire universe simutaiously -

heres a little idea i came up with myself artificale inflate a quantum fluctuation one in which the laws of physics are different from our universe  move into that universe travel faster than light in that universe then somehow get yourself bvack to this universe - would have to have one in which time ran faster too since the whoel big bang in that universe would not bee a good thing to fly into so needs time to cool down first - so be advised not to spend much time there since with time running so much faster a week there will be a nano second in the real universe - alternativly if you ant to travel into the future but not back again then create a universe with a very slow time scale then live in it for a week and leave it thousands of years into the future - problem with this is you'll arrive just intime to meet the big bang in progress unless you can select the area in the 4th dimension you arrive at  - hmmmm ok i'll shut up now
ARGHHH

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin

Originally posted by KillMeNow:
heres a little idea i came up with myself artificale inflate a quantum fluctuation one in which the laws of physics are different from our universe  move into that universe travel faster than light in that universe then somehow get yourself bvack to this universe -

It's called hyperspace.  And I figure out what was wrong with your post.... bloody run-on sentence.  Use punctuation.  

Offline KillMeNow

• The Empire Lives
nooooooooo hyperspace is like another level within our own universe - its not creating one just when you want to - and my cool idea can be the ultimate weapon too - create a universe with the exact same qualities as our own then it will explode into our universe displacing it and well realseing another big bang - might even destroy the entire universe - thats a seriously big bomb  
ARGHHH

Offline Snipes

• http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/us
I know how to too... run a really long gold wire from point A to point B, then shrink your ship to the size of an electron, and fly at the speed of electricity, many many times faster than light.  

------------------
United Space
Newsie, Modder, Slave to Asta
------------------
"Snipes... Is The Dark Continent."

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
Except electrons move STL.  

Starwing

Actually electrons even move at only a few meters per second. It's the signal that moves at lightspeed.

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
see?  Slower Than Light.  

Starwing

I just wantet to point out how slow they are. Not just STL, slower then almost everything.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Lol, stop bickering you two. In the end... Snipes = L0s4r++.  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
How to travel faster than light.

A document by Thunder Inc.

To travel faster than light you will need:
A ship
Some masking tape, string and a washing up bottle
Waterbased paints (get mum to check the label)
And 5602 monkeys.

First of all you need to cut your washing up bottle in half, then you can paint it to make it lots of different colours. Use the masking tape to attach the string to the bottle and then attach the monkeys to the string.

Now you need an adult to do this bit, and don't do it at home (school buildings or circus's will do fine...) Take the bottle and the monkeys and lay them out on the ground. Then get your adult to set fire to the monkeys tails.

Wait a few seconds....

BAM!!![/b] Faster than light travel! Just remember kids, don't do this in your own home. Afterwards you may want to give your monkeys something to cool down with, as they may be hot from all that running. I suggest snow:

Enjoy!

------------------
Co-Creator:  Hard Light Productions
Webmaster: Sounds of Thunder

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
I think you need to lie down thunder.....

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.