Author Topic: The case of HTLing the Aeolus...  (Read 8906 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
The case of HTLing the Aeolus...
this looks goooooood....
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Wow. That kicks arse. Nice work on the shells too BTW - good compromise between smoothed and angular. Can blender do smoothgroups for areas like that?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
What the fudge? Holy fudge!
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
:yes:
I am a revolutionary.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
I suggest you use 16-bit TGA for the glowmaps.  Lightspeed was using 8-bit pcx for his glowmaps, but its well known that 8-bit pcx is loaded into memory as though it was 16-bit.  So, we could get better quality with no performance loss if the glowmap is 16-bit tga.  Main map and shine-env maps should be 32-bit DDS though.

I'd use DDS for the glowmap too. It's still four times smaller than 16 Bit TGA and the quality should be very good at this high res. :)
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Wow, i really wasn't expecting anything near this level of response - thanks a million all. :)  Very much appreciated.

Originally posted by Black Wolf
Can blender do smoothgroups for areas like that?

It can do the smoothgroups - but they'd get lost in the Blender-Truespace conversion. But i can pretty easily do them in TS once the textures are complete. :)

Texture formats: So far i've been following Lightspeeds lead with using dds for the main map and shine map, and 8bit full size pcx's for the glowmaps - mainly due to the tiny filesize:quality ratio i saw when testing formats.

Basically, there was so little in it:
- 8bit pcx gave me great quality at 172kb {2048 res glowmap too!}
- 16bit tga came in at 10kb bigger same quality
- While dds came in at a whole 5.24 megs bigger with much worse quality (tho i think that could be the settings i use :\ - any advice here would be much appreciated)

that i decided to go with LS' pre-established format.
Does anyone know of a more efficient setup for textures?

Oh, and here are two more Aeolus pics with something that probably hasn't been well spotted yet. ;) (ok maybe the second pic is a little too obvious, but meh - they're not great shots anyway. :D )

Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

What´s the most "hi-polytised" Orion out there? We need a good Orion for the cutscenes. With a new texture would be even better, since the canon textures are fugly...
We will also need a hi-poly Lucifer and the Iceni. That Lucy looks mighty fine...
No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

Offline c914

• www.scfi.pl
Do thosse peapole have to look at windows  ( in model texture )  it sily and look aful:ick:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 03:47:53 am by 1424 »

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Swamp_Thing
What´s the most "hi-polytised" Orion out there? We need a good Orion for the cutscenes. With a new texture would be even better, since the canon textures are fugly...
We will also need a hi-poly Lucifer and the Iceni. That Lucy looks mighty fine...

3.6.6 mv_models. I think GalEmp also made a reskin version, but I'm not sure if that's the one in mv_models or if it's just the high-poly Orion with the old textures.
-C

I can see an 'old fleet meets new fleet' Pride Of Terra splash image in our future... an Orion/Fenris/Apollo group being superseded by the Deimos/Aeolus/Perseus group... :)  With lots of lighting.  :cool:

And yes, I left the Hecate out.  It looks like arse.

OT, is it possible to randomly choose the splash from a pile of availible images?  Cycling through T/V/S ship comparisons (even cutscene-style wireframe comparisons) and glory shots and dynamic close shots would be better than the current method, where at least 50% of everyone hates whatever gets chosen :)

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Originally posted by c914
Do thosse peapole have to look at windows  ( in model texture )  it sily and look aful:ick:
They're the right scale, the windows are there, crew are aboard, it gives the ship some 'life' rather than just bright windows with nothing visible inside, and they're only visible if you fly up to them - what's wrong with that?
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Originally posted by Vasudan Admiral

Basically, there was so little in it:
- 8bit pcx gave me great quality at 172kb {2048 res glowmap too!}
- 16bit tga came in at 10kb bigger same quality
- While dds came in at a whole 5.24 megs bigger with much worse quality (tho i think that could be the settings i use :\ - any advice here would be much appreciated)

Don't look at the filesize of PCX files. It doesn't reflect the ammount of memory used when loaded into ram. (TGA may also use a lossless compression, which won't work in-game!)

No matter what, each DXT format takes up less memory than a PCX at the same res.

I'd suggest to use S3 DXT1. Which looks better for effects than Nvidias DXT1.

The quality will be lower than the PCX one though. But I think that doesn't matter much for this high res.

A 2048² DXT1 DDS takes up exactly 2 MB in-game.
An uncompressed TGA takes up 12 MB in-game.
A 16-bit TGA and a PCX need both 8 MB in-game.
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Save it as DXT5     ARGB     (Interpolated Alpha)
That's usually good for fighter maps.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Meh, you won't need an alpha channel for the main map. (Unless it has to be partly transparent...)

Unsing DXT5 is usually a waste of memory. S3 DXT looks almost exactly as DXT5. (A bit different, but not worse...)
While Nvidia's DXT1 looks a lot worse than DXT5...

I can take care of conversion stuff for you. I'm quite used to texture compression by now. :)
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Vasudan Admiral
They're the right scale, the windows are there, crew are aboard, it gives the ship some 'life' rather than just bright windows with nothing visible inside, and they're only visible if you fly up to them - what's wrong with that?

They don't look like three-dimensional people standing inside. They look like black shapes in the shape of people painted on the window.
-C

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
yeah, i think they could use some work, too.

but it's a good start. :)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Actually, that's pretty cool... You gotta make one animated, though, where he gets up, walks around a bit, and sits back down :lol:

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I want the Iceni complete with man in silly hat ;)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I'll have to second that. :D

Welcome to moderatorship, Flip. ;)

Offline Anaz

Cool. I kinda like the people. Gives a real sense of scale that wasn't there before.
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...