Author Topic: FS1 Prometheus question  (Read 2727 times)

FS1 Prometheus question
I don't have FS1 anymore: are the FSPort .tbl entries for Prom correct?  Were its stats the same between FS1 and 2?  Technically, there are 3 versions (FS1, FS2 refit, and late-FS2 standard), and without checking the FS1 .tbls I can't be sure if the FS1 and FS2-standard Proms are the same.  Can someone fill me in?

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
FS1 Prometheus question
I'm pretty sure the FS2 prom is worse than the Fs1 prom.
-C

FS1 Prometheus question
I assumed the refit is worse, but 'standard' suggested the later Prom was the same as the FS1 Prom.  My only source atm is the FSPort .tbls, and it's quite possible they glossed over any differences for the sake of compatibility.  I guess I could do the same?

I'm doing research for some .tbl codification, and christ, the ML-16 and VLL really, really suck.  :D

EDIT- The FS1 fluff claims that the Prom is bad vs shields: the FS2 stats don't reflect this.  More incorrect techroom fluff, or did the FSPort change the stats?  Can anyone check the original .tbls for me?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 01:58:38 am by 2239 »

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
FS1 Prometheus question
From fs1:
Code: [Select]
; ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$Name: Prometheus
+Title: GTW-5 Prometheus Cannon
+Description:
Prototype
High Energy Usage
High Hull Damage
Moderate Shield Damage
$end_multi_text
+Tech Description:
Fatass description

$end_multi_text
$Model File: none
@Laser Bitmap: laserglow03
@Laser Color:        20, 150, 20
@Laser Length:       10.0
@Laser Head Radius:  1.0
@Laser Tail Radius:  1.0
$Mass: 0.2
$Velocity: 450.0 ;; speed of the weapon (initially) -- may or may not change
$Fire Wait: 0.3 ;; in seconds
$Damage: 20
$Armor Factor: 1.3
$Shield Factor: 0.7
$Subsystem Factor: 0.35
$Lifetime: 2.0
$Energy Consumed: 0.40 ;; Energy used when fired
$Cargo Size: 0.0 ;; Amount of space taken up in weapon cargo
$Homing: NO
$LaunchSnd: 84 ;; The sound it makes when fired
$ImpactSnd: 85 ;; The sound it makes when it hits something
$Flags: ("player allowed")
$Trail: NO ;; Trail cannot be set if Exhaust is set
$Icon: icongun03
$Anim: LoadGun05
$Impact Explosion: none
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 03:00:53 am by 374 »
-C

FS1 Prometheus question
Excellent, thanks.  Irritatingly, since the FSPort uses the Prom-S from FS2, I'm not sure there's any point putting the original Prom version in the .tbls.  I guess, if it didn't break the port, it's not such a big deal?

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
FS1 Prometheus question
the Prom S is much better than the original.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
FS1 Prometheus question
i think there are some differences from the Origonal Prom, and the Prom S... Nothing drastic though... Something like mass, or the hear sises... Something pretty inconsequential...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
FS1 Prometheus question
30% more damage per second is not inconsequential.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
FS1 Prometheus question
yeah that adds up pretty quickly
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
FS1 Prometheus question
It's not 30% more damage/second.  The weapon profiles are extremely different between Prom and Prom-S; the prometheus originally was almost twice as powerful against hulls as it was against shields; the S variant actually is better against shields than hulls.  The original Prometheus fired faster, but did somewhat less damage per shot.  And it used only 40% of the energy that the S does.  The S, on the other hand, will burn through shields about twice as quickly as the original did.  The differences are hardly inconsequental, but it's not really a fair comparison to ask which is better; they each have their own strengths and weaknesses.

EDIT:

Prometheus:
Shots/second (per barrel): 3.333
Hull Damage/shot: 26
Hull Damage/second: 86.667
Shield Damage/shot: 14
Shield Damage/second: 46.667

Prometheus S:
Shots/second (per barrel): 2.857
Hull Damage/shot: 27
Hull Damage/second: 77.143
Shield Damage/shot: 30
Shield Damage/second: 85.713
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 05:51:36 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

FS1 Prometheus question
Yeah, it is significant.  However, there is currently no mission whatever that uses the original FS1 Prom: the FSPort uses the Prom-S instead.  So is there any point putting it in the .tbls?

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
FS1 Prometheus question
The Prometheus S did have a much faster velocity than the original did.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

FS1 Prometheus question
Yes, I've noticed the differences.  However, I'm not sure if there's any point including all three, since even FSport doesn't use the actual original.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
FS1 Prometheus question
I think that Volition went through and changed a lot of stuff for balance. Capital ships are much tougher in the FS1 Port than they ever were in FS1. The Eva takes an eternity to take down......
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Twitter
FS1 Prometheus question
well, why don't the FSPort make everything EXACTLY the same as FS1 in FSPort 2.4 (or .5 or whatever)? Balance issues solved.

Originally posted by Kosh
The Prometheus S did have a much faster velocity than the original did.

and a higher energy usage.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

FS1 Prometheus question
Kosh, many of those difficulty issues could be because of SCP changes to the AI.  Although I've completed the FSPort, and I didn't find it particularly difficult, I haven't played FS1 in what?  Six years?

And Cobra, I wasn't aware FSPort was still active.  I had assumed no more releases would be forthcoming.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
FS1 Prometheus question
The Prom-S fires less often and does less hull damage, with less energy efficiency than the Prom-O. However, it does about twice the shield damage and has a 1500m range (versus 900 for the Prom-O) which, to me, more than makes up for the deficiency.

And add some line breaks to the fluff of the Prom TBL! It's breaking the forum grid.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
FS1 Prometheus question
Originally posted by Pnakotus
I wasn't aware FSPort was still active.  I had assumed no more releases would be forthcoming.
We'll have at least one more release around when we release ST:R.  We may have more releases if people keep reporting bugs.

We'll also start releasing ports of some classic FS1 campaigns. :)

FS1 Prometheus question
I didn't know that :)

Are there any plans to use the original Prometheus stats in later releases?  If you guys don't use it, and you're porting the old campaigns... then the original version essentially doesn't exist, and there's no point me worrying about it.

Also, do you guys use non-SCP effects?  The guns look much better in FSPort than in FS2...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
FS1 Prometheus question
I think we'll stick the original Prometheus back in.

The basic Port is designed for retail FS2, but if you have Lightspeed's weapon effects they should show up as well.