Author Topic: The joys of wireless access  (Read 919 times)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
The joys of wireless access
I am currently sitting outside in the Sydney University library courtyard, in the beautiful sun. Just got my laptop hooked up the university WiFi network... it's sweet. :)

I know it's probably a bit of old news for lots of you, but anyone else got wireless hooked up somewhere? Home, school, uni, work?
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
My Pocket PC has allowed me a LOT more freedom than I originally thought at school.  Provided, there's a WAP somewhere in the area.  My university has a nice spread though so it makes it nice.  I've done stuff from the top floor of the library where there's no computers, I just have to have an AC outlet, and I can stream music for hours through my headphones, and not be bothered by anyone around me.  I can get my class schedule, web assignments, whatever I want right then and there instead of having to run to a computer lab that's probably full of chatterboxes and the clickety-click of keyboards.  At work, it's a lifesaver when it comes to remote administration.  One of my machines is in a supply closet, and it's a pain to operate.  I can just login remotely and do what I need to do, logoff, and not have to get in the supply closet.

Heh.  I even have a WAP attached to my computer and when I'm lazy, I can lay in bed and turn on Windows Terminal Services and use my computer right from my bed.  It's kinda hard though to do anything looking at a 2X4 inch ish screen.  It's still pretty fun though.  Even though my bed is 2 feet away from my desk.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
my collage has it, I don't have a laptop though :(
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
My opinion of pocket PCs has now gone from "worthless modern marvels of technology to anyone who can remember their schedule without writing it down" to something much better.
-C

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
Hey, I owned a Palm Pilot m105 that ran on replacable AAA batteries for my first palm pilot.  Man, what a mistake I made buying that hunk o junk.  But, the coolest thing I could do with it was get eBooks.  eBooks are awesome.  You can carry around an entire, unabridged library in the palm of your hand!  
Then I got an Axim from Dell (shudder) and it's like.. night and day.  I can stream music, download and read full-color eBooks, browse the internet, post on HLP. remote administer my servers, work with Microsoft Word and Excel documents and email them directly from the unit, even PRINT without wires! (if your network supports wireless printing)  There's probably a lot more I do with it but wow.  It's allowed me much more freedom than just having a calendar in my pocket.  
Oh yeah.  I can play Jawbreaker and Tetris wherever I feel like too.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I just downloaded Red vs. Blue ep 55... 400kb/s. Ahhhhh. :nod:

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
400kb/s o_O

Me jealous :(

*punches orhpan in face* Ah thats better.

Yes.. this WIFI wonder has still yet to really sink in my head.

I was driving around my old town the other day with my buddy. I had my friend scan for wireless networks on a laptop while we drove around. I'de say about 70 percent of the town had WIFI signals in range. Many of them were even unsecured.

The PSP is another wonder that I'm dying to try. local area multiplayer or internet multiplaer fun... all wifi.

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
yup, I've got wireless at home and at school... wonderful :)
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Microwaves, cellular phones, WIFI internet.....

Anyone have a recent MRI scan yet? My tumors are shaping up quite well... :)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
If I'm posting here, it's by wireless. My desktop is hooked up to the local internet connection (off in the next room) by wireless.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Omniscaper
Microwaves, cellular phones, WIFI internet.....

Anyone have a recent MRI scan yet? My tumors are shaping up quite well... :)

[color=66ff00]There's still not enough evidence to say that MRI's are entirely benign. ;)

My uni pulled the wifi service after somebody took advantage of the I.T. staff's lack of knowledge.
[/color]

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Our WiFi service is now fully operational... except no one is allowed to access it. :wtf:
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Just an update: I finally have my home wireless network operational! (After a week of tinkering, and a broken wireless card...) Albeit, all I'm sharing right now is a dialup connection, but it works! The internet with no wires, anywhere in my house! It's brilliant. :)

Now all we need with WIFI are occular implants and a neural interface. Perhaps some sensory feedback and BAM, we are in the Matrix.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I've a question about this actually... it's funny how things seem to happen at the same time!

Anyway, I've finally gotten a house at Uni next year after a hell of a lot of looking and we'll be sharing seven ports to an NTL broadband conection using wireless connections.

I order things off the internet, play games and keep important documents on my computer. How can I ensure my computer is as secure as it can be against viruses, intrusion and what have you while connected to a wireless broadband network?

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I'm no expert (yet). :) I guess I would ensure that you the actual network itself is as secure as possible, as much as that is under your culture - so make sure the wireless access point is secured with a 128-bit or 256-bit encrypted network key. Don't make your own drives network-shared if possible... a firewall never goes amiss.

Apart from that, someone with more know-how will be able to tell you how to secure your ports against malicious attacks and stuff. :)