Author Topic: Narnia Trailer  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
The last book was racist?  How so?  I don't believe that Lewis was making any reference to the Calormenes as a whole as being bloodthirsty or evil.  In fact, their captain in that book didn't seem to have any faith in Tash at all; he was just in it for the military and financial gains.  The soldier with the truest faith was the one who made it through in the end.  I don't think the comparison with Lord of the Rings really holds; not only did Lewis and Tolkien have completely different motives, and indeed audiences, for writing their works as a whole (Tolkien despised allegory, for instance :p), those specific scenes seem to be created for different purposes.  Lord of the Rings is far more on an epic scale; Tolkien fought in World War I himself, and I think in the case of the Southrons, he was trying to convey the idea that the soldiers who fight in wars don't necessarily know or care much about the objectives of their masters, and their own ideas may often be deluded or twisted from the truth.  In the case of Lewis, keeping in line with his whole idea of faith, I think he was trying to convey that those who intentionally commit evil acts in the name of a higher power earn evil in return, while those who live their lives in a good and noble fashion receive their reward at the end.  I always thought that Aslan's line to the good Calormene soldier, in which he says, "Whenever you did good acts in the name of Tash, you were actually doing them for me; whenever someone commits evil in my name, they are really doing so for Tash," was a very unique concept; it helped to tie a lot of that last book together.

For me, what made that book so special is that I think it is the greatest suggestion of what heaven could be like that I have ever read.  A place where you meet all of the good people you've ever known, all of the great figures of the past.  A place like this world, but so much more real and true that it's almost impossible to imagine.  That image has remained with me for 11 years; I think it's truly a wonderful way to end the story.

I greatly enjoyed Voyage of the Dawn Treader myself; the idea of going out and exploring to the ends of the Earth, and finding all kinds of fantastic things along the way, appealed to me as a child, and in a very real sense, it still does for me now.

Offline icespeed

Personally, I think 'the Last Battle' was my favourite although it got rather depressing at times, what with all the deaths (which, I know, were necessary). I think one of the great things about the Narnia Chronicles is that they work on so many different levels, as children's fantasy, Christian allegory, moral parables, so on and so forth. Also, Lord of the Rings was quite difficult for me to read when I was, like, 10; but Narnia works for pretty much all age groups.
$quot;Let your light shine before men...$quot;
Matthew 5:16

When I graduate, I'm going to be a doctor, and people are going to come to me looking for treatment and prescription drugs, and I'm going to give it to them. Is anyone scared yet?

$quot;If you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord', and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.$quot; Romans 10:9

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Sweeeeeeet... downloading now. Yeah, sorry Coolmon, the Dawn Treader was my favourite. :) It's a great fictional world - I found it really drew me in.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
Narnia... Disney... Talking Lions...

*Shoots self in head*

Offline Clave

• Myrmidon
    Get Firefox!
    • Home of the Random Graphic
All English geezers in the 30's were racist, sexist, and whatever - it's just how things WERE back then, there's no point in trying to read to much into it...:rolleyes:
altgame - a site about something: http://www.altgame.net/
Mr Sparkle!  I disrespect dirt!  Join me or die!  Could you do any less?

I remember reading up to somewhere in the middle of the 3rd/4th book, I found it boring, then again I was like....6, maybe 7 I should see if I can dig it up again...
Derek Smart is his own oxymoron.

Wow... doesn't look as cinematically epic as LOTR but it destroys the BBC version. Can't wait till December.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Omniscaper
Wow... doesn't look as cinematically epic as LOTR...

No, but then again it never was. LOTR is about peoples, Narnia is about people.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Corsair

• Gull Wings Rule
Whoa, the trailer does look good... I'll see it.
Wash: This landing's gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: *shrug* "Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die"?
Mal: This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
GIVE ME MY TURKISH DELIGHT, YOU OLD HAG!!!!11111111onetyone
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
:lol:

(By the way, what exactly is Turkish Delight, anyway? :p)

Offline Clave

• Myrmidon
    Get Firefox!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Just had a LOTR:EE marathon - LCD projector, Logitech Z-680's, the whole 9 yards - all day yesterday, and since it was in honor of someone's birthday, people were coming in and out the whole time. In-between showings we screened the Narnia trailer. Ended up watching the whole thing about 5 or 6 times. I think people were more excited about that than about LOTR. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Wow...wish I was there :)

Offline Clave

• Myrmidon
    Get Firefox!
I watched a bit of Master & Commander on a £22,000 Vidikron projector yesterday - nice picture...:yes:

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Yeah, I hope they don't make us wait half a year for this to come out in Australia. It's Disney though, so it shouldn't take too long... unlike some of the international films that came out last year.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.